Crossfire help

bairdnn

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
hi im hew to toms hard ware so sory if this is in the worng spot i just bult a new rig phenom 2 965 @3.8 ghs thermatake tough block 7** watt asus m4a78t-e mother board 1 of the gps is a his 4670 1gb gdr3 other safire 512 mb gdr3 i have run 3d mark several times and see little to no peformance increase crossfire is enabled in ccc menu its software crossfire btw they dont have bridges on the cards my os is vista 32 bit busness please help thank you verry much i dont know if this helps any but my psu dosent seem to be loaded down much cool air comes out of it i have the latest driver exc what do i do allso on a side note ther is an intagreated radon 3300 on board any help form hybred crossfire not for me is that pasable iv disabled / enabled the hybred croosfire no diff

You said u Crossfiring 2 HD4670, right?
HIS HD4670 and Sapphire HD4670, right?

You just wasting your time and money, it's not worth at all to crossfiring 2x 4670...
And u are going to hybrid crossfire to HD3300 onboard, right? It's useless too...

U'll better with a single powerful card...
List your spec properly here so we can help u after that... :)

adis

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
You will need the crossfire bridges to run crossfire! Once you have the bridges on, go and get http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1709/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.3.8.html.... its called gpuz no install or anything.. run it and towards the bottom of the program it will say if crossfire is enabled or not!

bairdnn

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
iv seen bench marks from crossfire of these 2 cards it is souposed to beat a 4850 what do you mean yes i ment crossfireing only one his 4670 and one safire 4670 im very sory for the misunder standing my spelling sucks if you havent allready guesed and what do you mean list specks properly do i need to add more my ram is crossfire ddr3 xms 4gb @ 1400 mhs my case is a home bult case it has 1 250 mmfan 2 120 mm fans and stock cooling on the cpu everythings running very cool though

bairdnn

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009

i do have gpuz the cards dont have crossfire bridge and both clame to have software crossfire ready iv allso looked at the chart for crossfire it says that you dont need a bridge for crossfire w a 4650 but iv herd that that is for the older 4670s and that the new ones can run with software crossfire? thands for your help but there is no crossfire bridge conecter on the cards at all even the box says thre software crossfire only i chected the croosfire specks and it says enabled 2 gpus thanks for all your help i apresate it but i need sone ideas about how to make crossfire work to improve pefromance acrding to everything iv tried it says its working fine i even tried amd over drive looked at gpu status ran a bench mark both gpus wer working under a load please excause my spelling i know i suck

OK, I'm not exactly an expert on the technical aspects of crossfiring, but from the couple of times I've dealt with it, it's my understanding that:

1. If you crossfire two cards with different amounts of memory, your system will downgrade the higher one to match the lower one. So in your case, the 4670 with 1GB of ram will only be using 512MB and the other 512MB will be sitting idle. It's like the retarded kid holding back the rest of the class.

2. While it's possible to crossfire some specific cards with no bridge, I believe that doing so gives you significantly reduced performance than if you actually did use a bridge.

Given those circumstances, it's entirely possible that any gains you'd get from crossfiring are being negated by your less-than-ideal setup. See if you can get better results with a bridge, but if not, I don't know what to tell you.

bairdnn

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009

THE CARDS DONT HAVE A CROSSFIRE BRIGE CONECTION !!!

You mean you just don't have a crossfire bridge, or do you mean there's not even a place on the card for one to connect?

Yeah, looking into it, it looks like the original 4670s all had a crossfire header, but on a lot of the newer models they've done away with it and gone to software crossfire only because it's cheaper. Doesn't sound like a good move if you ask me.

At any rate, if that's the case ... unless they've made some improvements to the software crossfire process since I last heard about it, you're probably stuck with less than optimal performance there, on top of what you lose from the 512MB-1GB issue. It doesn't sound like there's a good way to fix either of those problems, but it might at least explain why.

bairdnn

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009

there's not even a place on the card for one to connect?

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
IMO, just buy a new single card solution if you want to increase your current performance. Unless you already have the 2 cards you've mentioned, a single card solution is still the way to go. If you want to kick 4850's ass then just get a 4870/gtx260/5770.

Okay, that's changed my mind... :)
Thx 4 the link, bairdnn...

But still, a single powerful card would be a better solution if u ask me...

trancef0rm

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Im thinking to do the same thing but if i were to buy a better graphics card and crossfire it with the 4670 would that be possible or does it have to be the exact same card? plz reply :eek: