Sign in with
Your question

Prime 95 temps after 10 hours...

Last response: in Overclocking
June 27, 2012 1:34:48 PM

Ran Prime 95 overnight on my i5 2500K all 4 cores at 100% for 10 hours on a WC loop at STOCK CLOCKS. Temps this AM were 63C. When it started the first hour only got to 45C or so. Is this ok? I read another where they were saying it shouldn't go higher than 50C.

Thoughts?

More about : prime temps hours

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 27, 2012 4:38:28 PM

what thermal paste are you using, because some of em need time to cure, and temps will get better over time with them
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2012 5:18:12 PM

Thermal paste has been there for a year or so. I installed it with ArcticSilver5 a year ago. I am just now getting ready to OC.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 27, 2012 5:19:37 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Looks good.

The hell have you been smoking? 63c for stock clocks with water cooling is awful. I get better temps than that with my air cooler and a 4.5 GHz overclock.

To the OP: what is your water cooling setup? Is it a proper water cooling loop, or are you using one of those crappy closed loop solutions like the H60? Closed loop coolers don't outperform similarly priced air coolers, and the low end ones are pretty much ***.

If it's a real water loop, then I'm guessing your radiator is insufficient and the water just warmed up overnight. Could also be an improperly mounted block (unlikely), poor thermal paste application (a bit less unlikely) or something I've not thought of.
m
l
June 27, 2012 5:32:12 PM

willard said:
The hell have you been smoking? 63c for stock clocks with water cooling is awful. I get better temps than that with my air cooler and a 4.5 GHz overclock.

To the OP: what is your water cooling setup? Is it a proper water cooling loop, or are you using one of those crappy closed loop solutions like the H60? Closed loop coolers don't outperform similarly priced air coolers, and the low end ones are pretty much ***.

If it's a real water loop, then I'm guessing your radiator is insufficient and the water just warmed up overnight. Could also be an improperly mounted block (unlikely), poor thermal paste application (a bit less unlikely) or something I've not thought of.

Hi Willard,

I am using a Swiftech triple radiator, with 3 fans sucking fresh air in from outside the case. I am using standard case fans however, and am looking to upgrade the fans when I upgrade my case. I have a Cosmos 1000 and the rad is at the top. It is a loop that hits a swiftech CPU Block, and then a full cover swiftech GPU block for my GPU. Then pump is a Swiftech 355, and it has a microres. I am thinking that since the water heated to allow the CPU to hit 63C, that my issue is at the heat exchange, and new fans would help.

Was thinking of going with a Corsair 800D and mounting better fans on both sides of the rad, in a push/pull config.

The other indicator that tells me it is a heat exchange issue, is that the temps start at around low-mid 40's when the CPU hits 100% for the first 15 mins or so(then I stopped watching and went to bed) but by morning I was at 63C. What fans do you suggest for better radiator performance?

Christian
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 27, 2012 6:58:26 PM

I'm by no means a water cooling pro (in fact I've never even built a rig, just read about it a lot perpetually on the verge of actually building it), but I hear good things about the Yate Loons from Danger Den.
m
l
June 27, 2012 7:23:23 PM

willard said:
I'm by no means a water cooling pro (in fact I've never even built a rig, just read about it a lot perpetually on the verge of actually building it), but I hear good things about the Yate Loons from Danger Den.

Those have been on the top of my list as well!
m
l
June 27, 2012 8:32:42 PM

willard said:

He's right thats my bad. I was under the assumption that heatsink/fan were stock from intel.
m
l
!