Sign in with
Your question

Which card should i get ??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2009 4:49:03 AM

:hello:  hey guys im thinking about getting a new vga and i got like 250 to 400 dollars to spend , i have beein looking around but i really cant decide which card to pick ... i use my computer 24h per day and i game alot at 1680x1050 , im looking for high performace card and i really need a card that dosent heat up , since i live in brazil and its often 40-42 celcius everyday and since i dont have really good spot to set my case whit good ventaliton and stuff ... so a low heating card is optimal .

anyhow i need to decide between the following cards >> gtx 275 // gtx 285 // HD 4890 // HD 5870

thanks for now , and sorry if my english isn't perfect since it isn't my main language .

More about : card

December 21, 2009 5:13:40 AM

what about brands ? at the moment the only gtx brands i found was galaxy , bfg , zotac ... the gtx 285 from galaxy looks cool , i wonder if its better then the other about cooling the heat .
December 21, 2009 5:20:36 AM

Have you considered a 5850 or a card with a cooler other than stock?
Related resources
December 21, 2009 5:21:58 AM

the biggest differences in brands is potentially a different cooler and warranty. Brands such as xfx and visiontek have lifetime warranties but usually cost a bit more.
December 21, 2009 5:30:12 AM

Go for the 260 core 216 or 275 by bfg, evga, or xfx. All come with a lifetime warranty. The Galaxy GTX285 will also do nicely, it has 2gb ram and does 770 core clock http://www.hardwarezone.com.au/reviews/view.php?id=2935...

The Galaxy is also the coolest card in that test by far. Good for your hot gaming area
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 5:33:34 AM

Well if you have HD5870 on the list of options, why think about anything else. Sapphire HD5870.
December 21, 2009 5:38:41 AM

yes i wish i could find those cool Galaxy GTX285 , but the only gtx 285 im able to buy around here is galaxy gtx 285 model : 85TGF1HU1QUZ , and zotac gtx 285 model : ZT-285E3LA-FSP
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 6:46:26 AM

Are you serious? Recommending GTX285 when there are 5850/5870's out there? Shame on you!

To the OP: get a 5850 or a 5870 if the rest of your compy can handle them - as always, make sure you get a brand with a good cooling solution.
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 8:08:10 AM

Yes, agree, Sapphire HD 5870 is really good... :) 
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 8:24:40 AM

Quote:
Don't forget either cobot, you turn on tesselation in DX11 (ssao) and the framerates on the ati cards go down to a crawl. The 5770 hasn't a chance to run, the 5850 is over it's head, and the 5870 loses 25% at minimum - and the "thicker dark lines" on your gamescreen are the "big benenfit" that does not even look better, according to most, it looks worse.
So much for "dx11".
Just turn the features off now if you buy ati. Turn PhysX off, turn off the ssao compute tesselation, don't make use of the dx11 or it's cripple time. Don't edit videos, make movies. Don't install CCC. Do install dot net 2.0 or you can't install the ati card CCC. LOL
Forget it !

*sigh* Fanboys - they are everywhere, aren't they? And they're just as bad, regardless if they are green or red.

Please go away.

a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 9:24:24 AM

*sigh*

Felipmf. The 285 is not the best choice. There is nothing wrong with the card itself, usually it's just too expensive for what you get.
If you find a good deal then go for it, but you will get better performance from a 58-series card.

You will also get good performance from a gtx 275 or a 4890. You can't really go very wrong with either of them.

Check the tom charts:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-310-5970,24...

Of course, you'll have to take into account that the prices may be different in Brazil.

Edit: high-end cards run hot. That's a fact and unfortunately something that comes with being on the top. :)  You will just have to make sure you have a good cooling solution.
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 2:24:07 PM

Hey silicondoc, 5870 is pwnage and you know it, don't try to push the overpriced GTX 285 when the 5870 will run circles around it.
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 12:04:43 AM

I just want to point out that SiliconDoc got banned from Anandtech because he refused to accept the 5870 was a better buy than the gtx295.
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 12:14:51 AM

It's interesting how you claim that the 5870 is too hot and loud.

My most resent card was a Diamond 5870, which isn't even considered a great brand, it is the coolest and quietest card I've had sinse cards had fans installed on them. (it seems to go to 70C and increases the fan to prevent it going beyond that, and the fan has never had to go beyond 34%).

(I've never done liquid cooling mind you.)

I can barely hear my computer ever since I installed it, which hasn't been the case for my last 4-5 computer builds which usually had nvidia cards.
December 22, 2009 12:15:27 AM

Just to add, I have had 3 ATi cards die on me, and 0 nvidia cards. The first was a 9800pro, the second was a x800xt AIW, and the third was a x1900gt. I am currently running 2 asus 9800 ultimates in SLI with 2 monitors and its smooth as silk in every game ive tried. This includes Assassins Creed, Batman:AA, STALKER, Far Cry 2, Crysis, as well as others. All at 1920x1080 with full AA and AF. My framerate never falls below 30. My card temps never exceed 80c in sunny hot Florida.
a c 1316 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 12:20:22 AM

Situation in the US at the moment,
GTX260-216 Some good deals out there between $160-200
GTX275 Overpriced for its performance level
GTX285 Overpriced for its performance level
HD4890 Some good deals out there between $160-200
HD5870 Overpriced because of bigger demand than supply
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 12:49:30 AM

My 4770 is currently idling at 36C btw. High heat? lawl.
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 12:49:57 AM

It's getting so long and long... :) 

Hey, i don't see any MODs here...
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 12:50:16 AM

Quote:
So - like I said - be careful who you listen to - becareful about what you are being told.

A good sentiment. :sarcastic: 

Seriously, you should hear, or rather, try to hear my video card. It really is insanely quiet.

I seriously question where you get your info.

Thinking about it, I bet I know where the leafblower comment came about. When you first install the card, and don't have the drivers installed, it runs the fan at 100% (as did my 9800 GT by Nvidia), but once the drivers are installed, the fan dials back to about 20% unless under load, then it usually hits near 30% and at the highest I've ever seen, 34%.
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 1:00:11 AM

Just to give you something to back up my claim on it being nearly silent, here is a review of 4 cards which by this review, has them identical.

This is what was said in this review: "Unlike previous cards, however, the Radeon HD 5870 also has two more small vents at the back of the card that force some air to be vented within the system. The cooler used on the 5870 is much like the one used on the Radeon HD 4890, although it is tuned to be somewhat quieter. When first powered up, the cooler’s fan briefly spins at its maximum rpm and can be quite loud; it eventually spins down after a few seconds to near-silent levels. We should also note that throughout testing, even after many hours of straight, nonstop benchmarking with the Radeon HD 5870 cards installed into a generic midtower, the cooling fan never spun up fast enough to be considered noisy. In fact, if it wasn’t for the noisy power-up, we’d consider the Radeon HD 5870 nearly silent. "

It's from a review here:

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/editorial/article.asp?...

Look under the part where it lists Similarities
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 2:34:53 AM

Do you not find it possible that they got a defective card? Or they only gave you a noise based on extremely odd testing methods (they turned the fan to full rather than use it under normal conditions)?

All I did was do a search on the card and that was the first review I got other than the typical newegg reviews from customers.

Under normal use, it's a quiet card and you have never tried it to know better, have you? Even with that test, the difference in noise was very close to each other (look at the graphic).
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 2:44:36 AM

Anyways, by the chart you showed, it's at most 6% louder. Is that really a big deal, especially considering it's over 50% faster.

Do you consider the 285 loud? For a 6% increase in sound to be horribly loud, the 285 would also have to be horribly loud or very close to it.
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 3:50:30 AM

I live in California, and while it might not be quite as hot as where he is, I don't seem to have any issues.

As it even states in that artical, the 5870 is the quietest and coolest card while idle. Does it not say that? This is good for someone who keeps his computer on 24/7.

It's only a "leafblower" at boot for a couple seconds, since he doesn't ever turn the computer off, it remains quiet. When idle, it's within 1% of the same decibels as your precious 285 and is within 6% under load.

I personcally do believe that something is defective on that card, or it's drivers, as I have never seen it go beyond 71C with 34% fan speed. Take it or leave it, this is real world test.

It's funny how you are calling me a fanboy, giving your obvious fanboyism for Nvidia.

The interesting thing is I also use a 9800GT in another machine, and this one used to have a 8800GT (the real leaf blower), I had a Radeon 9800 pro before that, and a 6800 GT before that.

As you might see, I don't have a preference. I merely popped in here because you are spreading a bit too much hatred for a card that works quite well and not at all noisy. Or rather, it is 6% noisier than the 285gt.

p.s. I do not own or plan to own Batman, but if I did, I'd toss in my old 8800 GT and load up some old drivers for phyX.
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 3:54:16 AM

That's not defective hardware, it is a bug in the software, which has an easy work around.
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 4:02:48 AM

Quote:
How many other "workarounds" have you had to perform ? lol

R O F L M A O

G E T T H E N V I D I A Felipemf!

Just that one. It's not like Nvidia has perfect drivers either.

I've used both ATI and Nvidia cards for a long time now. They both work great, once in a while one or the other has a bug in their software. Usually it's due to a newer card.

Frankly I don't see a problem with getting a 285 GT, I just don't understand your complete hatred for ATI for a product I'm betting you've never used.
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 4:52:15 AM

"Ahh, you don't and don't plan on it, but if.... by golly... golly gee.. green ye'd be.
Really WHATEVER - you must be 3 shades of guilty to have to say that.

Thanks for helping out so much, I do really appreciate it, and enjoy your gaming . "

I'd be some sort of purple I imagine. I'd still use my 5870 as the graphics processor, but I'd also have the Nvidia card for the PhysX.

What will you do when you want tesselation for the upcome games releasing in the next few months?
December 22, 2009 5:16:24 AM

bystander said:
Do you not find it possible that they got a defective card?.

Yes, in fact I find it possible that every ATi card I ever owned was defective. Perhaps the new cards are all defective too? If we follow your logic, it would make that true.
December 22, 2009 5:20:45 AM

bystander said:
That's not defective hardware, it is a bug in the software, which has an easy work around.

So how many bugs or missing features are there? Or could it be defective hardware AND software? Is that why the 5870 and 5970 throttle at stock speeds in actual games?
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 5:48:30 AM

It's amazing how you read things in what ever manner you want.

I don't play Batman, I don't desire to play Batman. You obviously ignored that.

I don't need PhyX nor want PhyX for anything I am playing, so why would I install my loud 8800GT into my machine and draw more power.

IF, and this is a big IF, phyX did become something I desired for some game I desired, I would put it in another PCIe slot, and use PhyX on my old card.

I'd then be some sort of blend of red and green. I also have an intel CPU, I guess that would just all become mud?

Anyways, with a Nvidia saying they are also going to support DirectX 11 in the future, the new features that the 5xxx cards have will likely stick around. PhysX is a lot less likely, since only one company offers it.
December 22, 2009 5:54:59 AM

bystander said:
What will you do when you want tesselation for the upcome games releasing in the next few months?

What will you do when no games come out that actually use "tesselation" in the next 6 months?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX...

I know what I'll be doing: enjoying the rich library of physx games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physx#Games

And then when the Fermi comes out in Q1, and regains the performance crown, it will push prices down and AMD will be further in the hole. I hope Intel has another $1.25B laying around so AMD can stay afloat next year.

We already saw what happens when ATi releases a card that "has no competition." Price scalping, limited availability, cheaply built defective cards. If this had been an nVidia product, there would be cries of "paper launch." But instead it is TSMC's fault for having a bad process?

Keep pointing those fingers, AMD. And pray for that bailout.
December 22, 2009 6:07:31 AM

bystander said:
Anyways, with a Nvidia saying they are also going to support DirectX 11 in the future, the new features that the 5xxx cards have will likely stick around. PhysX is a lot less likely, since only one company offers it.

So the bottom line is, we wont see a significant amount of DX11 games until nVidia supports it. Not just with their hardware, but also through working with developers in the TWIMTBP program.

So where is ATI/AMD's developer support? Can they not fit it in the budget, next to those "monthly driver updates" that work so well?
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 6:33:19 AM

I give up, it's clear you can't beat an irrational fanboy.
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 7:54:47 AM

Felipemf said:
:hello:  hey guys im thinking about getting a new vga and i got like 250 to 400 dollars to spend , i have beein looking around but i really cant decide which card to pick ... i use my computer 24h per day and i game alot at 1680x1050 , im looking for high performace card and i really need a card that dosent heat up , since i live in brazil and its often 40-42 celcius everyday and since i dont have really good spot to set my case whit good ventaliton and stuff ... so a low heating card is optimal .

anyhow i need to decide between the following cards >> gtx 275 // gtx 285 // HD 4890 // HD 5870

thanks for now , and sorry if my english isn't perfect since it isn't my main language .

If you are buying now then look at ATi's 5 series, the Nvidia cards are getting very hard to find and due to the EOL and stock/supply strategy now employed by both NV and ATi the price of the older cards is not going down.
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 9:26:30 AM

Quote:
Holy moses - that second link is absolutely loaded with hundreds of GTX200 choices... LOL

The dang red fanboi's have been bs'ing and bloviating about "supply shortages" ? hahahha

I do recall the few articles talking about the VARS being hunkered somewhat on numbers they could order ...

I guess it's the same old thing. ATI has some craptastic missing card launch, then.. of course.. to try to make them look good - the red fanboi's start yakking in the channels about Nvidia shortages, and soon the rumor becomes "fact" and the reds screech and cluck and feel better.

Wow. Well that's just way too many cards to call it a shortage yet. I think we had better wait for some months before using phrases "hard to find" - or "shortage".

Gawd, another red fanboi snowball job. Lots of snow there.

Hey silicon, did your nVIdia cards give you BJs or something? Recommending an old underperforming card against today's top of the line? Nice. Talking about fanboys. Are you in some way related to Wreckage from Anand? Same kind of redneck stupidity coupled with intense ATI hatred. Jesus. Why can't people think a bit before starting talking like 12 year olds. Now for the facts:

1. 5870 is the FASTEST single card on the market!
2. It supports Dx11 which may not be something now, but in spring we will see the benefits with AvP.
3. Uses low power when idle, and moderate power when on load.
4. CCC is not bloated, it works like a charm and you can set everything related to the GPU in a noobish kinda of way. It was designed for the unexperienced user. If you want more go use Riva Tuner or Ati Tray tools. Nobody is stopping you.
5. 5870 is STILL the FASTEST single card on the market!! End of story.
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 10:01:21 AM

Just to add something to the credibility of silicondoc:

DriverHeaven:
www.driverheaven.net/members/159396/silicondoc.html BANNED

Bit-Tech:
forums.bit-tech.net/member.php?u=41666 BANNED

Adnoctum's comments about silicondoc @ Bit-tech:

Quote:
Have you guys checked out the comments of the Anandtech Fermi article? There's the biggest Internet troll raging insanely I've ever seen called SiliconDoc. He's hilarious, and so incredibly sad.
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 10:04:45 AM

Quote:
Turn on PhysX in game and watch your card slow to a crawl. Test it with OCCT or Furmark and watch the "power virus" blow the cheapo 40amp VRM's right off the pcb unless it cripples itself and downclocks to idle. LOL

Oh, and enjoy the "post install screen black and artifacted bug".

The "two monitors in 1920x1200 don't work" bug.

The hot exhaust blasting into the case the initial poster of this thread who I have been here to help, unlike you, has said he doesn't want because of his hot location.

Yes, why don't you go blow yourself off out of this thread since you haven't a clue what is going on.

PS and dispy doodle, - the 5890 is a faster single card. LOL
:pt1cable: 

GaWD ! bwahahaaa - You people are screwed up.

Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see another BAN added to your name. There are 2 possibilities:
1. You indeed are an incredible troll.
2. You have mental issues so in that case I am sympathetic to your suffering.
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 10:08:26 AM

Quote:
You're incredibly WRONG. That's not sad, it's hilarious. Another fanboi who can't accept facts then blabs up mistakes.

With what am I wrong? I didn't say a word. I just quoted people who know more about your Internet activity. :ange: 
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 10:11:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure that's all you came in for, to troll for trouble, and attack me. Looks like you need the boot to me.

:na:  Nah. There are other people for attacking you. I just want to have some fun and you seem to be the right person to provide me with entertainment. And so far you do an incredible job, not as good as the one you did on AnandTech, but you can always achieve more :)  .
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 10:21:02 AM

Come on silicondoc please tell me more about how good nVidia cards are. Please, please :bounce: 
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 10:51:39 AM

Quote:
Well that's some more FUD. During the economic downturn year or whatever back , Nvidia made fewer 200 series core orders expecting a lack of demand. Then ATI blew the 5000 roll out for months with a near paper launch - and if you can't get a 5000 series- and you're already itching up - you get any of the GTX200 series, and Nvidia said demand has remained very strong..

I quite understand the red fanbois screamed and wailed that demand wasn't good for nvidia and that nvidia was lying - but the fact remains the failed 5000 launch brought 200 series demand a big fat boom.
Now even the 5770 is forcing the GTX260 to sell out.

So the conspiracy theory you have is merely a bad market prediction along with the inability to ramp up production sufficiently (due to tight constraints on fab time) and the blown 40nm process that further exacerbated the issue).

It's not some conspiracy against all of us. Get yer head out from under the tinfoil.

The world is not perfect with endless supplies of whatever you want to buy - and people in the USA might get a very big lesson in that if the economy takes a real blowout - something a lot of them have never seen their entire lives.
Companies can't just magically snap their fingers and make as much as they like of something.

How is it FUD?, are the 200 series not being EOL'd then?, proof please.
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2009 8:54:40 AM

Go wit HD5870 as it supports DX11 and ShaderModel 5,And a triple monitor support!
!