Is this fine for e6300 wolfdale?

ConfusedBanana

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I have 2.8 GHz E6300 wolfdale on stock cooler and core 1 & 2 idle at 34 and 40 respectively. is this fine?
also i put this cpu through the intel burn test and it got to 80 for both cores

He is obviously overclocked anda good bit too stock is 1.86 ghz. Look into an aftermarket cooler dosent have to be real expensive one i use an OCZ vendetta2 got for 29.99 and it woks nicely. Dont expect to see your idle temps drop. The big aftermarket coolers work well when you start producing lots of heat. I would expect with aftermarket cooler those core temps will go down to lower 60s.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
As mentioned above the only thing you can really do is get an aftermarket cooler. Even a lower end one should perform better than the intel stock heatsink. Make sure it's all seated correctly and apply the correct amount of thermal paste and you should see those temps drop.

ConfusedBanana

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
so reapplied the thermal past. since it was a dual core i did the line application method and i found out my stock cooler had two pins that weren't sitting properly.
how long should i wait so i can actually start getting readings of temperature that are accurate?

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
The two pins that aren't seating don't sound good. If proper contact with the chip isn't being made then the heatsink won't dissipate the heat well enough. This may be why your noticing higher temps at max load. Try a burn-in test and see what happens.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Far better than they were :) 60C sounds a lot healthier than 80C at full load. You should be ok with those temps but you said you had a new cooler on the way so they should improve again with that installed. Good luck!