Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Triple Monitor Video Card Recommendation Please...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2009 5:34:36 AM

Hey Everyone,

i've been running dual 19"s for a few years now, decided that i would like to get 3x24"s now.

here are my limitations:
-i dont want to upgrade my motherboard: p5k deluxe w/ wi-fi.
-my budget is 200 for video card.

one option ive been thinking of so far would be to throw my current 8800gt onto the crappy pci-e slot to support the two secondary monitors, and have just my one main monitor hooked up to my new video card. obviously this will affect triple monitor gaming, not that my budget will ever get me flawless 3x24" gaming goin on. The thing is i dont know how it will affect it. will it not be possible? will it just have crappy display? will my secondary displays suck but main be okay?

second option i thought of would be to find a video card with triple/quad monitor support (all dvi). I would assume this would give me most versatility and strength. of course my options in finding a card are now limited, and my budget might get screwed.

thanks!

Best solution

December 21, 2009 6:39:20 AM

try searching for an ati hd 5770
December 21, 2009 5:54:28 PM

The ATI HD 5XXX series doesn't have all DVI outputs, but it's probably the best solution for what you're looking for. Having dual video cards will allow for up to 4 outputs, but you won't be able to render a game or something intense across all four.
Sounds like your best best is the ATI, and if you're going to be buying monitors, try to get one that can take display port. it has 2 DVI, and a display port. It also has an HDMI, but from my understanding, it's one of the DVI OR the HDMI, not both.
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2009 9:10:25 PM

cool, i looked up the 5770. i like what i see. thing it it looks like i cant just go out and buy it. i need to do a lil research. so whats this port im looking for on my future monitor that i need?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 9:22:28 PM

You need at least 1 monitor with a displayport port. Your second option is to buy an *active* displayport adaptor. A passive one wont do, and yes the active ones are still quite expensive.
m
l
December 21, 2009 9:52:27 PM

are monitors with display ports generally expensive? =<
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 9:56:33 PM

That basically will run you over 400$, I really don't understand why AMD made the 5770 eye-finity ready since you will end up paying the equivalent of a 5870 for such a setup....
m
l
December 21, 2009 10:01:58 PM

this is maddness!

so much for triple monitor display on 1 card... -__-

so how about suggestions regarding two cards? and on a side note, will i be able to run eyefinity with two cards (nonsli or even identical)?
m
l
December 21, 2009 10:04:35 PM

actually, do u think the adaptors for the display port will get cheaper over time? and is this a guess or guaranty? also another side question, if i throw a monitor on my integrated motherboards display, will i be able to run 3 monitors?
m
l
December 21, 2009 11:31:50 PM

xaelee said:
Hey Everyone,

i've been running dual 19"s for a few years now, decided that i would like to get 3x24"s now.

here are my limitations:
-i dont want to upgrade my motherboard: p5k deluxe w/ wi-fi.
-my budget is 200 for video card.

one option ive been thinking of so far would be to throw my current 8800gt onto the crappy pci-e slot to support the two secondary monitors, and have just my one main monitor hooked up to my new video card. obviously this will affect triple monitor gaming, not that my budget will ever get me flawless 3x24" gaming goin on. The thing is i dont know how it will affect it. will it not be possible? will it just have crappy display? will my secondary displays suck but main be okay?

second option i thought of would be to find a video card with triple/quad monitor support (all dvi). I would assume this would give me most versatility and strength. of course my options in finding a card are now limited, and my budget might get screwed.

thanks!

for tri-moniter set-ups you pretty much HAVE to get one of the new ATI HD5XXX series. If you limit to $200 you can get the HD5750
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SOX9W2?ie=UTF8&tag=slickdealssd-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002SOX9W2
or HD5770
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SP113K?ie=UTF8&tag=slickdealssd-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002SP113K

m
l
!