Pentium M 735 or Pentium M 745?

I am considering those two for an IBM Thinkpad.
Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz versus Pentium M 745 1.8 GHZ what are the
differences. Are they worth the price difference? Which performs best? Is
newer really that much better?
8 answers Last reply
More about pentium pentium

    The difference is 100mhz of clock speed. They are both Pentium M Dothan
    processors. What's the price difference?
    Richard
    "Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > I am considering those two for an IBM Thinkpad.
    > Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz versus Pentium M 745 1.8 GHZ what are the
    > differences. Are they worth the price difference? Which performs best? Is
    > newer really that much better?

    The price difference between the 735 with a 40 GHz HD and the 745 with a 80
    GHz HD is CAN$700.

    "marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
    > The difference is 100mhz of clock speed. They are both Pentium M Dothan
    > processors. What's the price difference?
    > Richard
    > "Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > > I am considering those two for an IBM Thinkpad.
    > > Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz versus Pentium M 745 1.8 GHZ what are the
    > > differences. Are they worth the price difference? Which performs best?
    Is
    > > newer really that much better?

    If they're both Dothan processors (as you indicate), I'd say that price
    difference isn't worth it. An 80GB 5400 rpm drive by itself is less than
    $350CAD (www.mlhsystems.com, never used them myself though), which prices
    the processor upgrade at $350.

    Clint

    > The price difference between the 735 with a 40 GHz HD and the 745 with a
    80
    > GHz HD is CAN$700.
    >
    > "marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
    > > The difference is 100mhz of clock speed. They are both Pentium M Dothan
    > > processors. What's the price difference?
    > > Richard
    > > "Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am considering those two for an IBM Thinkpad.
    > > > Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz versus Pentium M 745 1.8 GHZ what are the
    > > > differences. Are they worth the price difference? Which performs best?
    > Is
    > > > newer really that much better?

    "Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message

    > The price difference between the 735 with a 40 GHz HD
    ^^^^^^
    ----------------------------------------------||||||

    You must have meant GB -- didn't you?

    > and the 745 with a 80 GHz HD is CAN$700.

    Processor clock rates are measured in GHz.

    Disk drive volume is measured in GB.

    I would buy the PM 735 system and
    replace the disk drive with a 60GB
    7200 rpm IBM/Hitachi E7K60, or with
    a 50GB 7200rpm Toshiba MK-5024GAY.

    This will give you better performance
    than a 745 with a 5400rpm disk drive.

    dk

    Go with the 735 (it is only a tiny bit slower than the 745, very tiny), but
    if you can, get a 7200rpm 60 gig hard drive. If the 80 and 40 are both the
    same speed (they will either be 4200rpm or 5400rpm) then they will be the
    same speed.

    > Go with the 735 (it is only a tiny bit slower than the 745, very tiny),
    but
    > if you can, get a 7200rpm 60 gig hard drive. If the 80 and 40 are both the
    > same speed (they will either be 4200rpm or 5400rpm) then they will be the
    > same speed.
    > Richard

    Thank you for your advice, Marlin. That is also what other people have
    suggested.
    Gilbert

    "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > The price difference between the 735 with a 40 GHz HD
    > ^^^^^^
    > ----------------------------------------------||||||
    >

    > You must have meant GB -- didn't you?

    Well Dan, of course that's what I meant in the confused state I was after
    pouring over the maze of different models that IBM has to offer. Thank you
    for pointing it out (waking me up).

    > I would buy the PM 735 system and
    > replace the disk drive with a 60GB
    > 7200 rpm IBM/Hitachi E7K60, or with
    > a 50GB 7200rpm Toshiba MK-5024GAY.
    >
    > This will give you better performance
    > than a 745 with a 5400rpm disk drive.

    IBM Thinkpads come in at least a hundred different models and
    configurations, they offer you more confusion than choice. If I wanted a 80
    GB HD, I would have to get a T42 with PM 745. If I wanted a laptop with a
    7200 rpm, I would have to buy the very top of the series. This is not
    flexibiliy, it is a marketing ploy.

    "Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<LGyIc.12$LlF1.5@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
    > I am considering those two for an IBM Thinkpad.
    > Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz versus Pentium M 745 1.8 GHZ what are the
    > differences. Are they worth the price difference? Which performs best? Is
    > newer really that much better?

    Or...

    You could go with the older Banias/Centrino/whatever you want to call
    it Pentium-M processor. At the same GHz, Dothan only gives you 5%
    performance increase. In my most humble of opinions, I don't think
    Dothan is worth the prce right now. The power consumption differences
    appear to be minimal and the FSB is still stuck a 400MHz(4x-powered,
    obviously) and not the promised 533. I don't know if that will make a
    huge difference, but it might.

    See here for where I'm getting this stuff:

    http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040510/index.html

Laptops Pentium IBM ThinkPad