Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pentium M 735 or Pentium M 745?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 12, 2004 8:07:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I am considering those two for an IBM Thinkpad.
Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz versus Pentium M 745 1.8 GHZ what are the
differences. Are they worth the price difference? Which performs best? Is
newer really that much better?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2004 9:31:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

The difference is 100mhz of clock speed. They are both Pentium M Dothan
processors. What's the price difference?
Richard
"Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:LGyIc.12$LlF1.5@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> I am considering those two for an IBM Thinkpad.
> Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz versus Pentium M 745 1.8 GHZ what are the
> differences. Are they worth the price difference? Which performs best? Is
> newer really that much better?
>
>
>
>
>
>
July 12, 2004 10:02:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

The price difference between the 735 with a 40 GHz HD and the 745 with a 80
GHz HD is CAN$700.

"marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
news:wVzIc.47714$6e7.1288@nwrddc03.gnilink.net...
> The difference is 100mhz of clock speed. They are both Pentium M Dothan
> processors. What's the price difference?
> Richard
> "Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message
> news:LGyIc.12$LlF1.5@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> > I am considering those two for an IBM Thinkpad.
> > Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz versus Pentium M 745 1.8 GHZ what are the
> > differences. Are they worth the price difference? Which performs best?
Is
> > newer really that much better?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
Related resources
July 12, 2004 10:14:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

If they're both Dothan processors (as you indicate), I'd say that price
difference isn't worth it. An 80GB 5400 rpm drive by itself is less than
$350CAD (www.mlhsystems.com, never used them myself though), which prices
the processor upgrade at $350.

Clint

"Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:inAIc.84$LlF1.70@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> The price difference between the 735 with a 40 GHz HD and the 745 with a
80
> GHz HD is CAN$700.
>
> "marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
> news:wVzIc.47714$6e7.1288@nwrddc03.gnilink.net...
> > The difference is 100mhz of clock speed. They are both Pentium M Dothan
> > processors. What's the price difference?
> > Richard
> > "Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > news:LGyIc.12$LlF1.5@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> > > I am considering those two for an IBM Thinkpad.
> > > Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz versus Pentium M 745 1.8 GHZ what are the
> > > differences. Are they worth the price difference? Which performs best?
> Is
> > > newer really that much better?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 12:49:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:inAIc.84$LlF1.70@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
>
> The price difference between the 735 with a 40 GHz HD
^^^^^^
----------------------------------------------||||||


You must have meant GB -- didn't you?


> and the 745 with a 80 GHz HD is CAN$700.


Processor clock rates are measured in GHz.

Disk drive volume is measured in GB.


I would buy the PM 735 system and
replace the disk drive with a 60GB
7200 rpm IBM/Hitachi E7K60, or with
a 50GB 7200rpm Toshiba MK-5024GAY.

This will give you better performance
than a 745 with a 5400rpm disk drive.



dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 1:14:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Go with the 735 (it is only a tiny bit slower than the 745, very tiny), but
if you can, get a 7200rpm 60 gig hard drive. If the 80 and 40 are both the
same speed (they will either be 4200rpm or 5400rpm) then they will be the
same speed.
Richard
"Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:inAIc.84$LlF1.70@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> The price difference between the 735 with a 40 GHz HD and the 745 with a
80
> GHz HD is CAN$700.
>
> "marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
> news:wVzIc.47714$6e7.1288@nwrddc03.gnilink.net...
> > The difference is 100mhz of clock speed. They are both Pentium M Dothan
> > processors. What's the price difference?
> > Richard
> > "Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > news:LGyIc.12$LlF1.5@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> > > I am considering those two for an IBM Thinkpad.
> > > Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz versus Pentium M 745 1.8 GHZ what are the
> > > differences. Are they worth the price difference? Which performs best?
> Is
> > > newer really that much better?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
July 13, 2004 5:20:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
news:CaDIc.49404$6e7.47178@nwrddc03.gnilink.net...
> Go with the 735 (it is only a tiny bit slower than the 745, very tiny),
but
> if you can, get a 7200rpm 60 gig hard drive. If the 80 and 40 are both the
> same speed (they will either be 4200rpm or 5400rpm) then they will be the
> same speed.
> Richard

Thank you for your advice, Marlin. That is also what other people have
suggested.
Gilbert
July 13, 2004 5:20:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:40f2f960$2@news.meer.net...
> "Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message
> news:inAIc.84$LlF1.70@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> >
> > The price difference between the 735 with a 40 GHz HD
> ^^^^^^
> ----------------------------------------------||||||
>
>
> You must have meant GB -- didn't you?

Well Dan, of course that's what I meant in the confused state I was after
pouring over the maze of different models that IBM has to offer. Thank you
for pointing it out (waking me up).

>
> I would buy the PM 735 system and
> replace the disk drive with a 60GB
> 7200 rpm IBM/Hitachi E7K60, or with
> a 50GB 7200rpm Toshiba MK-5024GAY.
>
> This will give you better performance
> than a 745 with a 5400rpm disk drive.

IBM Thinkpads come in at least a hundred different models and
configurations, they offer you more confusion than choice. If I wanted a 80
GB HD, I would have to get a T42 with PM 745. If I wanted a laptop with a
7200 rpm, I would have to buy the very top of the series. This is not
flexibiliy, it is a marketing ploy.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 5:45:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Gilbert" <fr2@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<LGyIc.12$LlF1.5@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> I am considering those two for an IBM Thinkpad.
> Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz versus Pentium M 745 1.8 GHZ what are the
> differences. Are they worth the price difference? Which performs best? Is
> newer really that much better?

Or...

You could go with the older Banias/Centrino/whatever you want to call
it Pentium-M processor. At the same GHz, Dothan only gives you 5%
performance increase. In my most humble of opinions, I don't think
Dothan is worth the prce right now. The power consumption differences
appear to be minimal and the FSB is still stuck a 400MHz(4x-powered,
obviously) and not the promised 533. I don't know if that will make a
huge difference, but it might.

See here for where I'm getting this stuff:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040510/index.html
!