Question on Disk management

September 24, 2004 3:11:58 PM

1. When I look at the XP Dish management window, I see an unnamed 5Gb
section to the left of C and D drives.
It is subtitled (EISA configuration), what is this for??

2. Also the XP help says that there should be a FREE SPACE optoin on the
rt-clk menu of the lofical drives. I only see delete. Am I looking at the
wrong place? (reason: I would like to create a new logcal drive)

Thanks,
Ernesto
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 4:36:35 PM

This is the Diagnostic partition accessible during the POST/boot. Check the
FAQ section on the manufacturer's site, is it Dell?
If there is no free or unallocated space, you cannot create a logical drive.
Installation from Quick Restore CD spans the whole disk as one partition
(well, two). Third-party tools can resize the partitions after the initial
setup as such.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 7:10:38 PM

Thanks Jetro and George,
I only wish it were Dell though they too have gone downhill with their tech
suppport.
I somehow ended up buying a sony. You should see how clueless their indian
tech "support" is.
What you guys said about both questions makes sense.
Still there is no delete option on the mystery segment. I will call sony to
ask. 5Gb is a huge amount to just lay around unused.

I have partition magic, so I can probaly do what I need with it.

"Jetro" <ik9480@spam.rogers.com> wrote in message
news:o cKaXSloEHA.1608@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> This is the Diagnostic partition accessible during the POST/boot. Check
> the
> FAQ section on the manufacturer's site, is it Dell?
> If there is no free or unallocated space, you cannot create a logical
> drive.
> Installation from Quick Restore CD spans the whole disk as one partition
> (well, two). Third-party tools can resize the partitions after the initial
> setup as such.

September 24, 2004 9:32:25 PM

Not sure, but this could very well be a manufacturer hidden part of the disk
containing your 'rescue' setup in case you need to reset the machine to
'factory' settings, ie. reinstall the lot.
Do you have such an indication from your documentation?
I'm not sure, because I never had any machine with that kind of setup, but I
gather many do.
I'm always starting from scratch using the 'real' thing and set up my boxes
the way *I* like them to be.

The free space situation only applies if there is free space left on the
disk, which in your case there isn't. The 'manufacturer' part is not
considered free space. You *can* however delete that part and use it for
your own purposes, with the main disadvantage being: you loose a rescue
option.

hth

george

!