Sign in with
Your question

Finished New Computer, "No Source Signal" Message on Monitor...

Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2009 8:37:56 PM

So, I just finished my new computer build. I thought it was about ready for boot-up, but when I booted up, I got a message on the monitor stating "No Source Signal". I thought it was originally the Video Card, or the RAM wasn't seated properly. I re-seated the RAM, which worked on my old mobo (Old mobo = 1 week ago, RMA'd for broken A1 RAM Slot). Then, I replaced the Video card with my 7800GTX on my upstairs computer. Still the same problem.

I read a message where holding the Power Button would fix it. I held it for 30 seconds, didn't work. I haven't done anything with jumpers, but I did take out the CMOS for 1 Minute, and put it back in. Nothing new. 4-Pin is plugged in, all fans are working and operating.

No Beeps/POST Messages. Since this is first boot, I don't have any operating System installed. I plan on Windows 7 64-Bit

Specs:
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
BFG GTX 275 OC
1000W BFG PSU
1.5TB Seagate HDD
3x2GB Corsair Dominator RAM/Memory(C8D)
a b C Monitor
December 21, 2009 8:42:20 PM

Your type of problem is the exact reason the READ before posting about boot problems! sticky was created. The chances are very good you'll find the solution to your problem if you take the time to perform EVERY step in the checklist.
m
l
a b C Monitor
December 21, 2009 8:53:00 PM

Aside from the above advice, you didn't complete the clear CMOS step completely.

1. Unplug the PSU.
2. Locate and remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard.
3. Clear your CMOS (button or jumper)
4. Discharge capacitors (hold power button for 45 seconds)
5. Wait 24 hours.
6. Reinstall CMOS battery (removing jumpers if used before).
7. Plug PSU back in and power up.
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2009 9:36:28 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
Your type of problem is the exact reason the READ before posting about boot problems! sticky was created. The chances are very good you'll find the solution to your problem if you take the time to perform EVERY step in the checklist.

I understand you're trying to help, but I see you coming off as kind of rude. Every item on that list is basic troubleshooting, and only takes a little common sense. I don't need a "list" to tell me to do all of those things, I can figure that out on my own.

In case you haven't understood yet, I have done EVERY SINGLE ONE of the things on the list.

The only thing I haven't done is Breadboxing, which was my last resort, and why I was posting this topic. As for TheViper, I appreciate the help, and if a second go of building doesn't work, then I'll try it. Thanks ;) 
m
l
a b C Monitor
December 21, 2009 11:47:57 PM

crosscut49 said:
I understand you're trying to help, but I see you coming off as kind of rude. Every item on that list is basic troubleshooting, and only takes a little common sense. I don't need a "list" to tell me to do all of those things, I can figure that out on my own.

I would have given the same advice. We put the sticky together because we were giving the same advice constantly. People forget or overlook something basic all the time. Or simply don't RTFM.

crosscut49 said:

In case you haven't understood yet, I have done EVERY SINGLE ONE of the things on the list.

Well, good. That means that you haven't done anything noobish and now it's time for serious troubleshooting, in which case, breadboarding will help to further fault isolate.
m
l
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2009 5:38:04 AM

Nothing you posted in your original post gave any indication you'd done all the steps in the checklist. Most of the people coming here for your problem SAY they've performed the steps in the checklist, very few actually have. Once we point that out to them, it turns out that the resolution to the problem was in the checklist all along about 95% of the time. If you actually have performed EVERY step in the checklist, then you're dealing with either a short or DOA hardware.

It's hard to not get a little short in my replies when I see the exact same thing multiple times a day.
m
l
December 22, 2009 1:31:52 PM

I know you were only trying to help, so sorry about going off on you like that. I appreciate your advice, and agreeably should've said something about the checklist.

My best bet is DOA right now, but I'm currently doing CMOS Reset, so I'm not quite positive. I do have a few more things I could try, but I've run out of ideas.
m
l
December 23, 2009 12:25:03 AM

Well, looks like unsurprisingly, the CMOS 24 Hour wait was for nothing. Same results, "No Source Signal", No POST or Beeps.

Well, I'm about to give up. I suppose I could once again reseat the RAM and GPU, but I'm all done.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, at this point, I could definitely use it. Thanks ;) 
m
l
a b C Monitor
December 23, 2009 12:55:08 PM

Do you have a system speaker installed so you can hear the error beeps? Your motherboard doesn't come with one pre-installed. A lot of new cases don't come with them anymore, either. There's a link to a place you can get one for cheap in step 15 of the troubleshooting guide. Without a system speaker you're just shooting from the hip with no way of knowing what the problem is.
m
l
December 23, 2009 5:09:36 PM

I have a relatively old case, one which does have a speaker. However, I decided to do a breadbox type install, and re-seated the CPU, and it still didn't work. I have switched the Video Card again, and same results. So it's definitely not the Video Card.

The MemOK! button is remaining red, I don't know if it's supposed to be a solid red light, or some type of green, etc.

I've tried everything, something must be dead. I had an old motherboard, the ASUS P6T, with just one problem - the A1 RAM slot wasn't working. RMA'd it, got this one. Now, it doesn't work at all.

But since everything was working fine before, except for that A1 Slot (Got 6GB RAM with Dual-Channel, so it looks like everything else was fine), I would be believed its the motherboard.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

m
l
December 23, 2009 5:16:07 PM

Have you tried switching the video card to another available PCIe slot and seeing if that works?
m
l
December 23, 2009 8:39:58 PM

mortonww said:
Have you tried switching the video card to another available PCIe slot and seeing if that works?

Unfortunately, yes, I have tried that, and it did not work.
m
l
December 25, 2009 4:17:27 AM

Well, I appreciate the attempted help, but it seems nothing was working. Although I'm not aware of weather it's the CPU or the Motherboard that's dead, I'm going to estimate, and RMA the Mobo. Shame if it's the Mobo, as we had good faith in Asus, and it's the newest motherboard on the market.

IF it's not, then it's the CPU. Any final suggestions may be good, as I can still make changes if I believe any of you have a good estimate on what it may be.

Thank You
m
l
!