ATI 5750 1GB or Asus GTS 250 Dark knight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yus_29

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
i am considering to buy vga card. which is good?Gigabyte ATI 5750 1GB, 128 bit or Asus GTS 250 Dark knight 1GB, 256 bit? i don't know much about graphic card, i just want to play smoothly with 1280 x 1024 resolution and if could with very high graphic settings. i read about CUDA on nvidia and i don't fully understand of it but i think its cool and with its dark knight cooler which is very cool. an addition that 250 gts has 256 bit, is bit important for graphic card? i heard that ATI is also good but i don't know much about ATI. because i never use ATI before but my gut tells me that i should try ATI. i am in dilemma, i want to hear opinions before i get the new vga card tomorrow.

If u want me to choose then i'll take HD 5750 cause it's efficiency and dx11 ability...
Yes, i know it's only 128bit...
Your reso is just 1280x1024, surely this card will work perfectly.
Make sure your PSU is enough to handle that card...

yus_29

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

yeah, i will go for 5750. i just bought psu gigabyte superb720W but i have 6 fan on my pc, two harddisk,1 DVD ROM, 1 DVD-R/Rw. 2stick ddram 667 and E7300 @ 2.66 Ghz. is my psu compatible?

4745454b

Titan
Unless you actually have something that would use PhysX, get the 5750. PhysX only works on games coded for it, and I see more DX10.1/11 games coming then PhysX games. (not that way right now.) You could also get whichever is cheaper, by the time PhysX/DX11 games come out that you want to play you might need to upgrade again.

4745454b

Titan
The Dark Knight GTS250 is better for you - it's faster, and since you mentioned Dark Knight the awesome new Batman Ark. Asy. game has massive PhysX.

Dark Knight is the cooler/edition of the card. If your going to suggest things, at least get your story straight. We also don't yet know how real in game Tessellation will work. If games require it, your 250 won't be able to play it. If its like AA, then the 5750 will be able to run it, just at 2x. I'm also not sure the GTS250 is faster then the 5750. If it is, it isn't by much. In short your post is nearly fail, at least the second sentence is for sure. DK is the card, not the new Batman game.

Yes, ignore the fan boy. Physx will be replaced by non-proprietary physics acceleration as time goes on and the only reason DX11 isn't already more important is because it just came out while physx has been around for years.
In terms of pure performance the HD5750 is slightly faster than the GTS 250. The difference in bus size is a non-factor as the HD5750 also uses DDR5 instead of DDR3 which overall means it has slightly higher memory bandwidth.
That said, either card will be great for your resolution. The question is whether you think the features the HD5750 offers(DX11, great power efficiency, 3 monitor support) are worth the extra money to you. If you are considering getting a larger monitor in the not too distant future spending slighltly more for the HD5770 is well worth it imo.

Jesus man, PhysX has been around forever. Batman is the ONE major game where it makes any real difference and that was mainly a design choice that had nothing to do with the technology. PhysX adds 3 things to the game, volumetric fog, paper that bends and moves and mildly destructible environments. They purposely chose to leave out non PhysX fog when it could've easily been implemented and the difference would've been minimal. I'm not even sure why the destructible environments required PhysX because other games have pulled it off without such on a much larger scale. That leaves freakin realistic sheets of paper. Who cares really?
You are obviously massively biased. Before you accuse me of the same I have never even owned an ATI card, always Nvidia, but right now ATI is simply the obvious choice. DX11 is much more important to future games, something you'll likely realize/admit to yourself the instant Nvidia releases a DX11 card but not a second sooner.

BruceOTB

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Get the gts250 now and sell it in the future to get stronger dx11 cards, when the prices of these cards go down.

i really think the 5750 is a flop because dx11 is more demanding the dx10, but the 5750 only performs like a 250/4850. So if we're talking about 5750, i think "future proofing" would be non existent because this card would be already too weak when dx11 will go mainstream. yes it would be dx11 compatible, but it won't be able to serve playable framerates, so whats the point? probably it could if you play on all low settings which is.. blah.

For an example of REAL destructible environments check out Red Faction: Guerilla. Like a boatload of other major games it uses HAVOK instead of PhysX most likely precisely because it is an effective non-proprietary physics engine that doesn't require specific hardware. Batman: AA doesn't even have destructible environments in comparison to that game but then the same can be said of almost every other game.
Yes, DirectX "has been around forever" and almost every current game is based on it so I have no idea what you are babbling about there.
The rest of your comment is barely coherent and even if it were understandable I doubt it would be worth responding to.

That game is so obscure it was released on both consoles as well and between the 3 versions it has 167 reviews by magazines/websites on metacritic(mostly very good reviews as well.)
DX11 also works on Vista... and unless you want to pay extra for a box the price of all versions of Windows 7 ranges between $105 and $175 on Newegg at the moment. Your biased, misinformed, often unintelligible ranting is really tiresome. Give it a rest already.

What the hell are you talking about? You seriously use Newegg comments as your source for game reviews??
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/redfactionguerrilla
It has an average of 83 which is quite good. The user reviews are even better at 8.8. I only even mentioned the game because YOU asked about something very specific. And I have played Batman, it's a great game, but it is also great even on an ATI card I'm sure despite the lack of fog.
The number one rule of the internet is don't feed the trolls though and I'm aware of it. The only excuse I have for responding still is boredom I guess, but I think I will stop now.

yus_29

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
hey guys, what were u all arguing were a little bit complicated for me to understand. i bought the 5750 gigabyte and i want to share my opinion about both nvidia and ATI. this is not technical comment because i don't know much about both technologies.but from my experience of gaming and i have an experience using both of them. when i gaming, i noticed that using nvidia is a little bit realistic on the aspect of movement. such as object movements, explosion, fire, and etc. i think maybe it is because the physics engine that nividia has it. on ATI, i noticed that the movements is a little bit stiff but the color is fantastic. nvidia color on screen is a little bit unrealistic. this is just my opinion based on my experience, i don't know if it is not reliable. anyway, what games now using dx11? i already have windows 7.

BruceOTB

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009

With the current games, gts 250's power is only up to 1280x1024 or 1440x900 when you crank the settings to the max. if you max out aa/af too, you might struggle a bit already, trust me.

if im not mistaken, tom's get high frame rates on their tests because they game on a newly formatted (cleanly installed OS, and game) system, but when you game on a common fragmented, fully loaded hard disk, spyware/malware/virus infected, and what not system ---(this will really happen overtime, not unless you reformat every month or so). you WILL have some stutters in your game if you set the details high.

4745454b

Titan
Liars make me angry

Rich coming from you.

The OP NEVER said he wanted to play Batman AA. NEVER. Its a card, not the game. Here is the link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121333

Thats the card. It doesn't even come with the game. Look at the sub title.

ASUS Dark Knight Quad-Pipes Cooling Design

Not the game, its a COOLER. Has this sank in yet? Seeing as you brought it up, we have no idea if the OP even wants to play this game.

Sure his psu might be fine, but he had better check his motherboard as well - there are some compatibility issues with the 5750.

Link please. There are some driver issues. No surprise seeing as its a "new" card. I haven't heard of any compatibility issues.

Go look at the tesselation vids on youtube and see the 5970 CRIPPLED to a crawl with tesselation and then hit a few benchmarks on these review sites, "mr i don't know a thing".

Go read the review on HardOCP. Assuming its scalable like AA, it won't be a problem. If you max out AA on a midrange cards they to will be unplayable. Just because the demo went full out to show what it CAN do doesn't mean games will use it to its full extent.

Lucky for us I hate liers to.

Edited to fix bolding.

4745454b

Titan
I'm actually with bruce on this. The cards perform close to each other, its pointless to spend more for one. (unless you really want to have the next level of DX now.) Let me show you what I mean.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/10/need_for_speed_shift_gameplay_performance_iq/4

Scroll down to the bottom, how does the 5750 compare to the GTS250? Same settings, basically the same scores, the 5750 comes out .1FPS faster on average.

I guess I'll show Borderlands for the GTS250 win.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/30/borderlands_gameplay_performance_iq/5

This is the first resolution where one of the cards at least has everything on, and its the GTS250. Not only that, its faster to. Looking at other benchmarks the 5770 is a closer match to the GTX250, but the 5750 can keep up in some games.

There is so far one game out that truly can use PhysX. DX11 is new and probably RIGHT NOW doesn't have one. I refuse to believe for one moment that there will be more DX9+10 games using PhysX then there will be DX11 games. There will continue to be games here and there that use it well, but there will be plenty more DX11 games.

Troll talked about Tessellation bring the 5970to its knees, PhysX can do that as well. Take a look at this.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/10/19/batman_arkham_asylum_physx_gameplay_review/9

At 2560x1600 with 4AA and PhysX at max, look what happens when you outside. Frame rates are nearly always under 30FPS, with a lot spent in the 21FPS and 6FPS range. Tessellation might be the same way. If you turn it up, it will choke. (again, similar to AA.) Hard also had this to say from the review.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/06/unigine_heaven_benchmark_dx11_tessellation/

While this Heaven Benchmark application isn’t an actual game, it does give us a glimpse of how Tessellation might be used in games. If used in this manner the benefits can be quite noticeable and greatly improve the gaming experience. There is a performance penalty for enabling it, as the creation of geometry on the fly does not come free...maybe we will see user adjustable controls that could allow us to vary the level of Tessellation depending on the user’s GPU abilities like much of the other eye candy we see in games.

Or in other words just because you saw something on youtube doesn't mean its going to end up that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.