Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 VS Thermal right Ultra 120 Extreme

Last response: in Components
February 28, 2010 5:58:45 PM

any ideas or experience with them...which one is better ??....in terms of performance:silence ratio
February 28, 2010 6:09:49 PM

I have the original Thermalright Ultra 120. I used it in several of my own personal builds. It worked for me. Results were excellent. I am not familiar with the Noctua heatsink.
m
l
February 28, 2010 6:12:43 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
I have the original Thermalright Ultra 120. I used it in several of my own personal builds. It worked for me. Results were excellent. I am not familiar with the Noctua heatsink.

Heard something about lapping it ?? to give better performance?? any ideas about that
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 28, 2010 6:22:52 PM

There is a sticky at the very top of the Cooler and Heatsink section of this forum about lapping a heatsink and cpu:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252168-29-heatsink-la...

I lapped my 120 and an AMD cpu. I did not need to do it. I just did it to see if I could. My cpu core temperatures dropped a little bit less than 2C after lapping. Other veterans report similar results. Sometimes temperatures do not drop.

For the typical user or gamer it is not worth doing. A temperature drop of 2C is insignificant. In addition, lapping will void the cpu and hetasink warranties. It might make a difference for an ultra hardcore gamer or enthusiast into very serious overclocking.

February 28, 2010 7:16:55 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
There is a sticky at the very top of the Cooler and Heatsink section of this forum about lapping a heatsink and cpu:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252168-29-heatsink-la...

I lapped my 120 and an AMD cpu. I did not need to do it. I just did to see if I could. My cpu core temperatures dropped a little bit less than 2C after lapping. Other veterans report similar results. Sometimes temperatures do not drop.

For the typical user or gamer it is not worth doing. A temperature drop of 2C is insignificant. In addition, lapping will void the cpu and hetasink warranties. It might make a difference for an ultra hardcore gamer or enthusiast into very serious overclocking.

Thank... won't do the lapping if the drop is so insignificant
m
l
March 2, 2010 9:49:14 AM

Best answer selected by shravankale.
m
l
!