Bios not seeing hd on acer extensa 5235

Led43

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
bios not seeing hd on acer extensa 5235. my friends acer laptop was reporting imminent hard drive failure (smart). I replaced the hd with another sata drive but the bios does not see it or the original. There is no manual or auto detect in the bios.

I was about to say that you have to format and partition the new drive, but read the post again. The new drive is not detected in the BIOS, either? That's a different problem. You can try different cables, reseating the existing cables, and using a different SATA port. Some very few motherboards (mostly from Dell) require that you enable indivdual ports in BIOS if they have drives on them, and disable them if you do not.

Then we have to deal with recovering the failed drive, but first we have to make both drives show up in the device manager. Please let us know how you do with getting the BIOS to recognize them.

Led43

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Its a note book and the drive slots straight onto the connection, so no cables, going to get an external sata enclosure to test the old and new hd,s at the weekend. There is no option in the bios to tell it to interrogate the sata channels. The bios is a phenix secure boot, so was wandering if there was a secret key combo to get it to read the sata channels.

Led43

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
the note book is about 2 years old, so out of warranty. I will be getting an external sata hd enclosure over the weekend to test the hard drives. I still think its an anty theft system in the bios. Going to open an account with acer support and see what they say. I will also see if acer have any bios updates.

djweze

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

Did you solve this problem ? I have just encountered the exact same issue with a friends laptop... I have successfully updated the bios, ran every tool i have ( i have a LOT of tools ) with no avail. Bios just does not see it. I have stripped the machine apart twice and triple checked every connection too.

I can boot the machine to linux or any other ram workable OS but the hard drive just wont show up.

Please let me know how u got on! :))