Tags:
  • Wireless
  • PCI
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Computers
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 14, 2010 5:02:33 PM

i have a hp slimline s7520n computer and i want to install a pci wireless card. can it be done. thanks

More about : install wireless pci card slimline computer

a b F Wireless
March 14, 2010 6:13:44 PM

It depends. You minimally need to have an available PCI slot on your motherboard. Or if you have an available PCIe (PCI Express) slot, you could consider a PCIe wireless network adapter. But being a slimline model you have to be extra careful. Due to space restraints, it's always possible some add-on cards won’t fit. Most probably will, but it's always something you have to consider.

Since I don’t a hp slimline s7520n myself, I can’t be more specific, but perhaps if you took a picture of the inside of your PC and posted it (or a link to it hosted elsewhere), it might help.

Frankly, it may just be easier to install a USB wireless network adapter. Since its mounted externally, you avoid a lot of these issues. But that’s up to you.

Finally, make sure whichever wireless network adapter you use, it’s compatible w/ your OS (including whether it’s 32 bit or 64 bit).

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-...

m
l
March 14, 2010 8:07:13 PM

thanks for the reply. i opened up the system and it looks like there is no available slot for any card so i guess i have to go with tha PCIe wireless network adapter. thanks again and regards.
m
l
a b F Wireless
March 14, 2010 8:25:41 PM

johnford said:
thanks for the reply. i opened up the system and it looks like there is no available slot for any card so i guess i have to go with tha PCIe wireless network adapter. thanks again and regards.

If you have NO SLOTS available of any kind on the motherboard, then neither PCI nor PCIe is viable, you would use USB.
m
l
Related resources
!