I got bumped off, still trying to get rid of the F
Secure. Nothing works, I want my new anti virus rather
than this one.Anybody out there know how to get it to
show up in the add/remove programs category?

"Teri" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got bumped off, still trying to get rid of the F
> Secure. Nothing works, I want my new anti virus rather
> than this one.Anybody out there know how to get it to
> show up in the add/remove programs category?

Just a guess, which I have plagiarized (and edited) using other posts in
this and other newsgroups:

Make sure "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is ticked in Explorer\Tools\Folder
Options\View
Find the sysoc.inf file in the Windows/Inf folder [C:\Windows\Inf\sysoc.inf]
Double click the file to open Notepad.

Under [Components], find a line that reads (where something that looks like
a reference to F-Secure is in place of the Xs):
xxxxxx=xxxxxx.dll,OcEntry,xxxxxx.inf,hide,7
Delete the word "hide" from this line, leaving intact the commas at each end
of that word.
Save the file and close Notepad.

Go to Control Panel and click "Add or Remove Programs"
Click on "Add/Remove Windows Components" You should now be able to see
F-Secure in the window. Remove the tick from the F-Secure
box and click "next" to exit the window.
Reboot your computer.

FYI - "sysoc.inf" only controls default windows components, not 3rd party
software such a F-Secure. If you're going to plagiarize, at least make sure
what you are plagiarizing is the correct answer.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

"Star Fleet Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:e4DvGS2oEHA.2032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> FYI - "sysoc.inf" only controls default windows components, not 3rd party
> software such a F-Secure.

Thanks. That's good to know.

pat

Expert

It may be good to know but poor Teri is non the wiser.

Teri, I have F-Secure 2004 installed.

I'm not an expert but you could try this:

Go to C:, Program Files, F-Secure Anti-Virus, and run
fsuninst. It should uninstall itself.

Good Luck

Pat

The entries in Add/Remove Programs - Change or Remove Programs list
all come from registry keys subordinate to
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

The subordinate key at a minimum needs Values "DisplayName" and
"UninstallString". That's the catch, if you don't know where the
uninstaller is, you can't put its name in the data for
"UninstallString", but maybe it's there and doesn't have a DisplayName
or has something that prevents it from appearing in the list.

--
Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net The highway is for gamblers,