Sign in with
Your question
Solved

4650 Fan Noise / Alternative Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2009 1:09:16 PM

Hi,

I just built my dad a PC with an Antec Sonata III case to keep the noise down. I used the Tom's best graphics cards for the money chart. The 4650 fan is unbearably noisy being louder than the CPU and both case fans. The potential for gaming is quite small with RTS gaming a couple weeks a year.

Should I attempt to mod the fan with a CPU fan as seen on hardforum.com?

Can I find a suitable card with fan control or heat sink only? There are some 4350s on the egg, but they seem pretty bad compared to a 4650 since we are talking 1680x1050 res.
a c 147 U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 1:23:07 PM

This is the issue with those small fans and I try to avoid them at ALL costs. in 2D mode they are usually perfectly fine because the 2D profile usually runs the card at a lower clock making it run cooler and in return the fan is at a low duty cycle. However, some still have that humming at low speed and at high speed sound like weed eater.

You can try to mod the card, but if you hare able to return the card I would. I have used the card below, and have recommended it because its an all around GREAT card for the type of application you are looking for. A good solid desktop card with the ability to play some games if you want. Granted on lower settings but I tested and last time I installed this it ran COD4 1680x1050 at high detail with no AA or AF. The problem is I haven't seen any 4650's with larger/quieter coolers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 21, 2009 1:36:15 PM

jay2tall said:
This is the issue with those small fans and I try to avoid them at ALL costs. in 2D mode they are usually perfectly fine because the 2D profile usually runs the card at a lower clock making it run cooler and in return the fan is at a low duty cycle. However, some still have that humming at low speed and at high speed sound like weed eater.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for the reply and noted for the future! Unfortunately, that card is 2x what I paid for the other one (HIS 4650 w/ rebate at $35). I was really trying to avoid increasing the cost. I didn't even try 3d mode. I can't imagine it getting louder. So, this fan can adjust it's speed hi/lo? I wonder if I could reduce the clock in 2d enough that it could go heatsink only and turn the fan on in 3d only. Probably not.

I unplugged the fan and the VGA lasted about 5 minutes on the desktop before it shutdown at 90 degrees.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 147 U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 2:03:12 PM

unfortunately you kind of get what you pay for and quiet coolers are usually more costly. The 4650 is lower end card and the cut costs to get it to an even lower price, mainly the cooler. You can try and mod something, but ultimately I think you should just settle with what you paid for. They don't make many aftermarket coolers for those cards because there isn't a market for them. Even an inexpensive cooler would run you about $20+.
December 21, 2009 3:04:41 PM

jay2tall said:
unfortunately you kind of get what you pay for and quiet coolers are usually more costly. The 4650 is lower end card and the cut costs to get it to an even lower price, mainly the cooler. You can try and mod something, but ultimately I think you should just settle with what you paid for. They don't make many aftermarket coolers for those cards because there isn't a market for them. Even an inexpensive cooler would run you about $20+.

Darn, maybe I should have just gone with onboard video. Oh well. Thanks for the help!
m
l
!