Dell with Mobile Pentium

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2004 9:19:08 PM

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron with a moblie Pentium 4 3.06GHz processor.
It is generally quite a good system, however, at times I am not happy with
the systems performance, especially when playing games.

I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the system or the fact that
laptops are just not as powerful as desktops. However, I can not see any
problem with the spec of the system which should cause any problems, esp.
since I have recently upgraded to a 7200RPM hard disk.

The cause I currently suspect is the processor, I think I am right in saying
that it runs at clock speeds of both 3GHz and 1.6GHz depending on operating
conditions, however, it appears that the processor is normally running at
1.6GHz even when the system is running off the mains. Is there something
wrong with my laptop?

Thanks,

James.

More about : dell mobile pentium

July 12, 2004 9:19:09 PM

J Lane <jane@lanefamily.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron with a moblie Pentium 4 3.06GHz processor.
: It is generally quite a good system, however, at times I am not happy with
: the systems performance, especially when playing games.

: I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the system or the fact that
: laptops are just not as powerful as desktops. However, I can not see any
: problem with the spec of the system which should cause any problems, esp.
: since I have recently upgraded to a 7200RPM hard disk.

You should not see such a huge loss of performance just because it is
a laptop. A Pentium 4 is a desktop CPU. The memory will probably be
a little slower than on a desktop, but it shouldn't kill performance.

: The cause I currently suspect is the processor, I think I am right in saying
: that it runs at clock speeds of both 3GHz and 1.6GHz depending on operating
: conditions, however, it appears that the processor is normally running at
: 1.6GHz even when the system is running off the mains. Is there something
: wrong with my laptop?

You need to make sure the power management options don't have the CPU
automatically set for "long life". Often the operating system will
slow down the CPU to save battery.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Single click on the battery icon (or go into screensaves and then power
properties), and set the power management to "always on"
Richard
"J Lane" <jane@lanefamily.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I recently bought a Dell Inspiron with a moblie Pentium 4 3.06GHz
processor.
> It is generally quite a good system, however, at times I am not happy with
> the systems performance, especially when playing games.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the system or the fact that
> laptops are just not as powerful as desktops. However, I can not see any
> problem with the spec of the system which should cause any problems, esp.
> since I have recently upgraded to a 7200RPM hard disk.
>
> The cause I currently suspect is the processor, I think I am right in
saying
> that it runs at clock speeds of both 3GHz and 1.6GHz depending on
operating
> conditions, however, it appears that the processor is normally running at
> 1.6GHz even when the system is running off the mains. Is there something
> wrong with my laptop?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James.

a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 3:47:29 AM

"J Lane" <jane@lanefamily.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I recently bought a Dell Inspiron with a moblie Pentium 4 3.06GHz processor.
>It is generally quite a good system, however, at times I am not happy with
>the systems performance, especially when playing games.

Y'know I've been wondering about the same kind of thing. Got a new HP zd7000
line laptop 2.9G P4 (not an M-used as a desktop) and in many respects it seems
slower than my 3 year old Presario 600M Celeron laptop. It's does seem to load
programs much faster as compared to the older one so I think it is operating
correctly, but when running many of my older programs it seems especially slow.
Some of my old DOS programs run verrrry slow. Even Agent runs perceptively
slower. And for example when opening Start/programs or Start/Settings/control
panel there is about a 1/2 second delay or so before the menu pops up. It was
instantaneous on the old 600. It's quite usable and I especially like the bright
17" screen which is why I got it (old one was a PM screen), but still with a 5
times faster processor I guess I just expected it to be super fast in all
respects.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 4:51:42 AM

Did the old laptop run Windows XP? Also, how much ram is in the new one?
Richard
"Aaron Jones" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
> "J Lane" <jane@lanefamily.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I recently bought a Dell Inspiron with a moblie Pentium 4 3.06GHz
processor.
> >It is generally quite a good system, however, at times I am not happy
with
> >the systems performance, especially when playing games.
>
> Y'know I've been wondering about the same kind of thing. Got a new HP
zd7000
> line laptop 2.9G P4 (not an M-used as a desktop) and in many respects it
seems
> slower than my 3 year old Presario 600M Celeron laptop. It's does seem to
load
> programs much faster as compared to the older one so I think it is
operating
> correctly, but when running many of my older programs it seems especially
slow.
> Some of my old DOS programs run verrrry slow. Even Agent runs perceptively
> slower. And for example when opening Start/programs or
Start/Settings/control
> panel there is about a 1/2 second delay or so before the menu pops up. It
was
> instantaneous on the old 600. It's quite usable and I especially like the
bright
> 17" screen which is why I got it (old one was a PM screen), but still with
a 5
> times faster processor I guess I just expected it to be super fast in all
> respects.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 9:22:35 AM

"marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote:

>Did the old laptop run Windows XP?

No, it ran ME

>Also, how much ram is in the new one?

512M

>Richard
>"Aaron Jones" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
>> "J Lane" <jane@lanefamily.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >I recently bought a Dell Inspiron with a moblie Pentium 4 3.06GHz
>processor.
>> >It is generally quite a good system, however, at times I am not happy
>with
>> >the systems performance, especially when playing games.
>>
>> Y'know I've been wondering about the same kind of thing. Got a new HP
>zd7000
>> line laptop 2.9G P4 (not an M-used as a desktop) and in many respects it
>seems
>> slower than my 3 year old Presario 600M Celeron laptop. It's does seem to
>load
>> programs much faster as compared to the older one so I think it is
>operating
>> correctly, but when running many of my older programs it seems especially
>slow.
>> Some of my old DOS programs run verrrry slow. Even Agent runs perceptively
>> slower. And for example when opening Start/programs or
>Start/Settings/control
>> panel there is about a 1/2 second delay or so before the menu pops up. It
>was
>> instantaneous on the old 600. It's quite usable and I especially like the
>bright
>> 17" screen which is why I got it (old one was a PM screen), but still with
>a 5
>> times faster processor I guess I just expected it to be super fast in all
>> respects.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 5:35:59 PM

"Aaron Jones" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
> No, it ran ME

Well there you go. XP is more advanced by far and therefore a bit slower.
Richard
July 13, 2004 7:47:29 PM

marlin <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote:
: "Aaron Jones" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
: > No, it ran ME

: Well there you go. XP is more advanced by far and therefore a bit slower.

Sorry - XP is not going to make a 2.9GHZ Pentium 4 seem slower than a
600MHZ Celeron by any stretch of the imagination. The 2.9GHZ laptop
should run circles around the 600MHZ Celeron machine - the OS wouldn't
make the difference. The 2.9GHZ machine is probably set on a "save
battery" mode that would slow down the CPU.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Well, he mentioned two things that were slow: DOS programs and control
panels. XP has a different control panels set up, and it doesn't like
running DOS programs at all.
Richard
"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> marlin <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote:
> : "Aaron Jones" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
> : > No, it ran ME
>
> : Well there you go. XP is more advanced by far and therefore a bit
slower.

> Sorry - XP is not going to make a 2.9GHZ Pentium 4 seem slower than a
> 600MHZ Celeron by any stretch of the imagination. The 2.9GHZ laptop
> should run circles around the 600MHZ Celeron machine - the OS wouldn't
> make the difference. The 2.9GHZ machine is probably set on a "save
> battery" mode that would slow down the CPU.
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 10:38:10 PM

"marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote:

>"Aaron Jones" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
>> No, it ran ME
>
>Well there you go. XP is more advanced by far and therefore a bit slower.
>Richard

Yep, that's kinda what I thought. Still disappointing though. Trouble is, my old
DOS programs can't be replaced so I'll just have to live with it. If it weren't
for this beautiful screen on the HP, back it would go. The old C600 did all I
needed except that I had to look at that dual scan passive matrix screen...ugh.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 10:38:11 PM

usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote:
>The 2.9GHZ machine is probably set on a "save
>battery" mode that would slow down the CPU.

The machine is used as a desktop and all battery save modes are disabled. (The
battery is out and in storage.)
!