Connecting Laptop to Desktop w/more info

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Laptops
  • Desktops
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 1, 2011 4:16:39 PM

I'm reading all the different ways and not sure that what I'm needing falls into the category.

My friend has a laptop that windows has crashed in. I need to backup here files before I reinstall.

I've done this dozens of times with a desktop by just removing the hard drive and hooking up as an external. so how do i achieve the same thing but just make the destop an additional drive that I can see on my computer?

due to where i live i do not have wifi only sattelite. thanks

i am using win7 64bit and laptop is same but it may be 32 bit

More about : connecting laptop desktop info

Best solution

a c 203 D Laptop
a c 102 G Storage
December 1, 2011 5:27:34 PM

Actually, you can do the same thing with the laptop HDD as you have done with desktops in the past. The is especially true if the laptop uses a SATA HDD.
December 8, 2011 1:06:49 AM

don't laptops have smaller hard drives??? or could i hook it up internally?
m
l
Related resources
a c 203 D Laptop
a c 102 G Storage
December 8, 2011 11:03:01 AM

Yes, they are smaller, but SATA HDDs use the same type of power and data connectors on both 2.5 and 3.5 inch HDDs.
m
l
December 8, 2011 2:16:02 PM

So even my external drive will work since its temporary? OMG u r a lifesaver. I've fixed hundreds of desktops but laptops have always felt so foreign. Thank you so much :) 
m
l
a c 203 D Laptop
a c 102 G Storage
December 8, 2011 2:35:13 PM

jdkelley64 said:
So even my external drive will work since its temporary? OMG u r a lifesaver. I've fixed hundreds of desktops but laptops have always felt so foreign. Thank you so much :) 

Good luck and have fun! SATA connections are SATA connections so you will be good to go.

Now, if the laptop HDD is the IDE (a.k.a PATA) variety, you need an adapter to connect to the typical IDE/PATA cennection used by desktop machines.

Once you pop the HDD out of the laptop, you will know for sure.
m
l
December 8, 2011 10:34:22 PM

thanks i have the connections for both. i appreciate people willing to share their knowledge. i've been doing it for years but haven't found many willing to give back. so very much appreciated :) 
m
l
December 12, 2011 2:37:03 AM

Best answer selected by jdkelley64.
m
l
December 17, 2011 7:50:01 PM

so i've got a new question. (this is the last friend i help fix their computer) i build my own so i don't know if this is the issue. i got the HD in the enclosure. i'm getting 3 drives show up. one is the system one is back up and one is the main drive (partitions) but it shows them ALL empty when i click on them and they r NOT and the main one that i need to back up shows RAW and needs formatting. now i know the problem is a windows issue and i just need to reinstall windows but i need to back up first because NO ONE ever listens to me!!!!! and it does start with windows but won't load all the way and won't do a fix.

is the reason the drives are not showing up on mine computer correctly an HP issue??? we both have windows 7 the only difference in that is i have 64 bit and i think she has 32 bit. she has done NOTHING to her computer cuz she barely knows how to use it. it crashed when she download some stupid video program from youtube.
m
l
a c 203 D Laptop
a c 102 G Storage
December 19, 2011 1:20:11 AM

Are the 2 computers you are referring to identical? Also, since this is a new subject, you should start a new thread/topic.
m
l
December 19, 2011 1:39:22 AM

sorry thought it was an extended question with all the related info in the previous posts. so as i stated i have a self built desktop and she has an HP laptop that i hooked up the HD to my enclosure as stated above. I will start a new subject but didn't want to be rude by not answering your question. So i need to copy and paste all the info from the first part of this topic into the new one????? that way it makes more sense or what?
m
l
a c 203 D Laptop
a c 102 G Storage
December 19, 2011 9:39:42 PM

You can post what you want from this thread into the new thread. That being said, do you have access to a Linux machine? If so, you can likely read the files from the HDDs with little trouble.

You are dealing with permissions issues, potentially, and possibly even an encrypted drive. Do you know if your friend did anything like encrypting the HDD?
m
l
December 19, 2011 10:04:09 PM

it would have been done by HP...as i said...my friend is computer illiterate. she can download music and play on FB so i know she didn't do it.
m
l
a c 203 D Laptop
a c 102 G Storage
December 20, 2011 2:11:00 AM

jdkelley64 said:
it would have been done by HP...as i said...my friend is computer illiterate. she can download music and play on FB so i know she didn't do it.

It could also be an issue of a corrupted partition/MBR due to a virus. If you can connect to and read the drive, I suggest you scan it before you copy anything from it to another location.

Of course the HDD could be defective as well. What brand of HDD (model would be good as well) does it have? Each manufacturer offers free utilities that can be used to scan (and sometimes repair) HDDs. You get from their support websites.
m
l
December 21, 2011 3:26:57 PM

i can't read them. it shows they r there and have so much used but when u try to open the drive it says empty. and the main drive says RAW needs formatting. so i'm just giving it back to her and telling her to pay someone. thanks
m
l
!