Which is the better upgrade for gaming..

chubbylilloser

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Hi :) lol i have been on this forum before but im BUGGERD if i can remember my log in details -_- :(

Anyway!!

This is my spec at mo!

AMD phenom 2 x4 955 running at 3.8Ghz (with silent Knight 2 cooler)
GA-Ma790fxt-UD5P
Windows 7
4Gb of ddr3
700w stealthxstream PSU
Sapphire 5870

This is my question! I have around £70 to spend ($140 ish) but im a tiny bit stuck on what to buy as the upgrade!
Which one of these would you say is the better choice/see more bang for your buck/Quid

1: Corsair H50-1 cooler and try to Oc my processor to 4.0Ghz (failing that run it at cooler temps than i have now) i dont think this would effect gaming that much tho?.. but it sure would get me a bigger score in 3dmark06 :D lol.

2:4Gb of ram (to make it to 8 in total) I dont think there are ANY games at the mo where u need more than 4Gb of ram but i read somewhere windows 7 dosnt handle ram well or something?.. could have been a n00b making random commenst tho lol

3: Neither as i wouldnt see ANY diffrence from gaming..

Tbh im just more intrested in the Corsair H50-1 than the ram (unless it would make a BIG diffrence) So would going from 3.8 to 4.0 make ANY diffrence?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
3. Neither. Your system is pretty well balanced as it is..
There is nothing in the $140ish range. Its either another 5870 or nothing :)

What about accessories? new speakers? gaming keyboard? another monitor? This could improve your gaming quality quite a bit...

chubbylilloser

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I heard crossfireing a 5870 with a phenom 2 x4 is pointess as its a bottle neck.. Ive seen that in a few places -_- or i would lol!

Well im happy with my mouse at mo .. maybe not so much with the keyboard but i dont use that for gaming (have a z fang key pad) Monitor im pretty happy with that also. its 24Inch samsung t240 HDMI monitor, the ones above it (25"-27") seem alot worse than this one (it was £400 a year ago)untill you get to 30.. and there around £1,000 lol
Then again could go for a blue ray Player drive (no writing) for £60!! The monitor is MUCH better than my TV and has 5.1!

chubbylilloser

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

nice idea!! But heard alot of bad things about using ATI with Nvida -_- I ended up buying the corsair! (mostly just for getting the temps down + incase i get an 920 i7 in the future ill have a good cooler for getting temps down when i go for 4Ghz ;)

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Stash that cash and keep adding to it!

That way you'll be able to afford bigger updates when they become available.
New procs and videocards are just around the corner, and if the performance increase isn't enough to justify spending the wad you'll save, it's always nice to have in case of an emergency.

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

The reviews that I have seen show no bottlenecking with the PII 955 using crossfire.

At least one of the threads here have all that information in it, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS