Apparent Hard Drive Issue

Sundevils

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Disclaimer: I have spent several hours trying to find a post that would answer my exact question but couldnt find anything specific to my personal problem that describes the same sort of issues.

I've had my personal built PC for about 2 1/2 years now. I originally installed the Windows 7 RC to save money on my build and then eventually installed Windows 7 Professional. After about 1 1/2 years I noticed that occasionally I would get a blue screen and that upon reboot it would get stuck on the "Windows 7 screen" where none of the colors of the windows image would appear and boot into the OS.

From this I would restart the computer and boot into the startup repair feature. This process usually lasted about 10-15 minutes and it would just boot to a previous time on the harddrive, usually about 2-3 hours back in time, which was a minor inconvenience but not a huge issue.

Yesterday, I had the usual problem happen and I went to reboot the computer and run startup repair. I have now been stuck in the "Attempting Repairs" function with the cursor bar moving like normal. After getting frustrated I powered down and just now rebooted a few hours ago today. I have now been stuck in the same "Attempting Repairs" function for roughly 2-3 hours (longer than my usual 10-15 minute fix), the cursor is still moving actively so I dont suspect the computer to have frozen.

Seeing that I have power to the computer, I can boot my BIOS with no problem, and I have images on my monitor, the only thing I can come up with is faulty Windows OS files on my hard drive that are preventing a reboot.

I tried booting from the cd/dvd of the Windows 7 Install disk but I'm stuck with the same "Windows 7 screen" with no colors making the windows image appearing. My only conclusion is that my harddrive has crashed now and it needs to be replaced.

Does this sound like a typical harddrive issue? I thought about replacing the harddrive and just doing a fresh install but I dont want to shell out the money associated with this purchase if I'm just going to go down the wrong road towards fixing it.

Any help or guidance is appreciated!

Thanks!

Sundevils

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Update:

Windows Startup Repair just finished and returned "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically"

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 1: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 2: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 3: unknown
Problem Signature 4: 21200958
Problem Signature 5: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 6: 2
Problem Signature 7: NoRootCause
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Going to start investigating this a bit...

Artimedia

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I had a problem which returned exactly this same message you posted above. everything is similar except Problem Signature 4: In my case it says "Problem Signature 4: 21200754". did you manage to find out what it was?.. I'm worried because I have 2 other hard drives in Raid 0, but it's software Raid so, I'm worried that I may loose everything if I don't recover the System Disk C: