Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard PSU Connections EATX12V and EZ_PLUG

Last response: in Motherboards
July 11, 2010 6:26:50 PM

Hey guys,

I just got my Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard and it's been a while since I built my last computer so it has some new features/requirements that I'm not 100% sure about or forgot.

The two connections in question are the EATX12V_1 and EATX12V_2, and EZ_PLUG_1 and EZ_PLUG_2.

1. The two eatx12v connections are supposed to be 8 pins each but on the motherboard, theres a small cap covering 4 of the 8 pins so I'm assuming I just flip off the cap and install the 8 pin connections to each, right? I'm assuming it will be pretty easy to take off that 4 pin cap of each of those from the motherboard and just connect them. And it's okay if I connect both to the same cable right?

2. EZ_PLUG, never really used it before. I found out from my research that it helps with video card power but I only have 1 video card and it's not overclocked (might be in the future). I would have thought the cable connected direct to the video card would have been enough. So should I still connect this anyway just to be on the safe side? It's better to connect this AND the EATX12V connectors? and its okay to connect both ezplugs with the same cable as well?

Thanks for any information you can give me! I want to start building my computer but I wanted to be 100% sure about these connections before I go ahead and do it.
July 11, 2010 7:13:35 PM

i am in the same istuation as you...
m
l
July 11, 2010 11:14:17 PM

Update:

I put my motherboard, cpu and heatsink in. went to install the power supply and started to make some connections. I was able to take the covers off of the two EATX12V sockets that cover 4 of the 8 pins then I went to connect power to them and saw that my Corsiar hx850w power supply only has one EATX12V 8 pin cable. It seems very unlikely that a high end power supply like Corsiar wouldnt include a second cable for high end mother boards. I looked through the modular cables and couldnt find a second cable. What am I doing wrong?
m
l
Related resources
July 12, 2010 12:09:45 AM

Image of what I'm talking about. Should make it clearer.
m
l

Best solution

August 24, 2010 10:37:59 AM

The extra EATX12v connector is designed to supply extra power for extreme overclocking.

(From experience, a 4 core I7 will overclock on air to 4Ghz with only one 8 pin connector.)

The second 8 pin is for increased power when overclocking the new 6 core I7 processors and/or when using extreme voltage to push overclocks when using sub-ambient cooling methods, and is found on the 1000W and up club of power supplies ( you will have to check specs on each one). I know the 1200W Corsair has 2x 8 pin EATX12v connectors but am unsure of how widespread this is as it's a fairly new idea.

I'm not completely sure of what I want to tell you on the EZ_Plug. Its original purpose was to allow older power supplies with 20 pin connectors to add additional power to the PCI-E lanes when making use of dual graphics card setups. I personally don't see a great need for most users now unless you were trying to run something outlandish, you should have plenty of power for dual-SLI/Crossfire with a modern 24pin connection. Other boards seem to run 3 way graphics setups just fine without it.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2010 4:26:44 PM

idkanymore said:
Update:

I put my motherboard, cpu and heatsink in. went to install the power supply and started to make some connections. I was able to take the covers off of the two EATX12V sockets that cover 4 of the 8 pins then I went to connect power to them and saw that my Corsiar hx850w power supply only has one EATX12V 8 pin cable. It seems very unlikely that a high end power supply like Corsiar wouldnt include a second cable for high end mother boards. I looked through the modular cables and couldnt find a second cable. What am I doing wrong?

You should have one 4-pin ( for backward compatibility ) and one 8-pin connector for cpu power. You can use them. Keep one 8-pin connector half-plugged on the motherboard for 4-pin plug connection. If you do not have 4-pin connector for cpu power, you can buy one converter cable, one end molex the other end 4-pin or 8-pin.
m
l
August 31, 2010 5:20:17 PM

Thank you foryour replies. To update you guys, the computer runs perfectly fine with the one connector. I connected both ez plugs but I think I'm just going to remove one of them since it's in the way of airflow ni only run one card right now so even connecting one of them is overboard but it doesn't hurt so I connected it anyway. I also was able to receive a second eatx12v cable from corsair if I ever plan to use it.

Been running the computer without any issues at all. Hope this helps someone else in the future
m
l
August 31, 2010 5:22:06 PM

Best answer selected by Idkanymore.
m
l
December 4, 2010 8:21:55 PM

idkanymore said:
Thank you foryour replies. To update you guys, the computer runs perfectly fine with the one connector. I connected both ez plugs but I think I'm just going to remove one of them since it's in the way of airflow ni only run one card right now so even connecting one of them is overboard but it doesn't hurt so I connected it anyway. I also was able to receive a second eatx12v cable from corsair if I ever plan to use it.

Been running the computer without any issues at all. Hope this helps someone else in the future

How did you get the top off of EZ_Plug_2 to insert the power cable that looks like a retangular box? I have tried pulling at it and the top doesn't come off, so I can't figure out how to insert the power cable??? Thanks.
m
l
December 11, 2010 9:40:26 PM

I'm not really sure what you mean because the EZ_Plug_2 doesn't have any box. It's not positioned normally though, the connection is aimed down so maybe thats your confusion? I hope you didnt try to rip it off lol

The only other rectangle box thing I saw was on the lower EATX12V connector and that came off very easily.
m
l
!