Need fan alternatives to this hyper 212 evo

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I bought the Noctua nf-f12 PWM fan to replace my buzzy CM fan, but when it runs at 1500 rpm, it has this annoying noise. I was wondering if I can get a second Noctua fan, for a push-pull config, where both fans are running under 1000 rpm on full load, which is an alternative to one fan in push config on 1500 rpm. Any ideas? Thanks. Just want to get rid of this noise.

Solution

There's no way to know that until you actually try it.

Regarding the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ the only thing the EVO model brought to the table is a better contacting base and because of the base in some cases it would perform maybe 1c better.

Even though Cooler Master supplies an extra set of clips, no matter what fans you slap on it you may get another 1c cooling improvement even adding a 2nd fan.

If Cooler Master knew a 2nd fan would yield appreciable gains don't you think they would have supplied it with the cooler, Cooler Master is well aware that...

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

I need this guy to work for me on 85% cpu load. Is the best thing to do is to change the case out for something quieter? will 2 noctuas at 1000-1200 rpm be good enough for 85% cpu load? This cpu load will be 24/7. I will do some 24/7 game botting.

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah but if there's 2 fans, the cooling will be there, so I won't have a noisy 1500 rpm fan, I will have 2 fans set at 1000-1200 rpm, which is quieter than 1 1500 rpm fan. Is it possible to use 2 fans in 1000-1200 rpm rather than 1 1500 rpm fan? Is the cooling still efficient that way?

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

so what is an alternative to 1 noctua fan running at 1500 rpm? Even the quietest cooler (nh-d14) is at around 30 dba at maximum.

Is there anything I can do to quiet it down? I can use the low-noise adapter, but the fan will only run at 1200 rpm instead of 1500 rpm. Only way is to get a silenced case like the obsidian 550d right? My case is the HAF 922, has holes and mesh everywhere.

super-smashman

Honorable
May 8, 2012
I wanted to try out Corsair's new SP120 fans so I picked them up on impulse last time I was at my local and they dropped the load temps down at least a good 5 degrees.

Probably not as effective as just spending the 40 bucks on a better cooler in the first place but that's not how time works.

I got the High Perf versions and the fan on the outside was SEROUSLY LOUD until I put the included 7V in-line resistor on. I had to take a closer look to make sure it was actually on because I couldn't hear it anymore.

Overall I'm really happy with them because noise doesn't bother me as much as it would for a lot of people.

There's no way to know that until you actually try it.

Regarding the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ the only thing the EVO model brought to the table is a better contacting base and because of the base in some cases it would perform maybe 1c better.

Even though Cooler Master supplies an extra set of clips, no matter what fans you slap on it you may get another 1c cooling improvement even adding a 2nd fan.

If Cooler Master knew a 2nd fan would yield appreciable gains don't you think they would have supplied it with the cooler, Cooler Master is well aware that the fan supplied is just about all the performance you're going to get from that heat sink design.

It has everything to do with airflow over the cooling fins having the time to transfer the heat to the air, if you wanted to go for a heat pipe cooler that would benefit from a specific fan combination, you should have spent more than 30 dollars and bought a better cooler.

Coolers like the TRUE (Thermalright Ultra Extreme) a passive cooler design, could actually be used with no fans and showed major benefits with any fan combinations simply because it could cool with just case airflow, so the important thing is what is the cooler you're using capable of doing in the first place.

The Noctua NH-D14 can also be used as a passive cooler, and it can seriously benefit by a fan change out to higher cooling performance, but not fans from Noctua to gain the higher performance.

However you're seeking performance at lower noise levels, you want the best of performance with the least amount of noise, I suggest you either water cool, or get a Noctua NH-D14 and only run the 140mm fan.

Remember, you get what you pay for, you buy a 30 dollar cooler you get 30 dollars of cooling, no matter how many fans you hang off of it. Ryan

Solution

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Well, i hate those water cooling pumps and the nh-d14 fans I believe can work at 1200 rpm since the heatsink is good, correct? I'll see if I can find some nh-d14 without the fans.