Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have a laptop with a small hard drive that I plan to upgrade. I bought a
new HDD along with an external HDD carrier that connects via USB. My intent
was to use PartitionMagic to make an exact copy of my internal drive on the
new HDD and then just replace the internal drive with it.

(1) I plug the new HDD into the external carrier case, (2) connect the USB
cable, (3) my computer detects the new hardware, (4) I can see it in device
manager but (5) it doesn't show up anywhere that would let me access it.

I had expected to see it as a new drive letter in windows explorer but its
not there.

Anyone know how I can get a drive letter assigned that will let me access
the USB-connected drive?

Howard

"Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop with a small hard drive that I plan to upgrade. I bought a
>new HDD along with an external HDD carrier that connects via USB. My
>intent was to use PartitionMagic to make an exact copy of my internal drive
>on the new HDD and then just replace the internal drive with it.
>
> (1) I plug the new HDD into the external carrier case, (2) connect the USB
> cable, (3) my computer detects the new hardware, (4) I can see it in
> device manager but (5) it doesn't show up anywhere that would let me
> access it.
>
> I had expected to see it as a new drive letter in windows explorer but its
> not there.
>
> Anyone know how I can get a drive letter assigned that will let me access
> the USB-connected drive?
>
> Howard

Have you been to Disk Management to initialize, partition and format the
drive? It won't be available until you do.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp

http://tinyurl.com/27nux

Look at the "Overview."

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks for your help. That's what the problem was.

Now I'm on to the next stage of the problem. I used Partition Magic 8 to
copy the partition from my hard drive to an external hard drive connected
via USB 2.0. Then I switched the hard drives -- thinking that the copy
partition function makes an exact replica -- but the laptop won't boot off
the new disk. Says no OS found.

As you can tell, I don't know much about what I'm doing...

Howard
"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoescolumbus.rr.com> wrote in
message news:eGJEbJooEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message
>>I have a laptop with a small hard drive that I plan to upgrade. I bought
>>a new HDD along with an external HDD carrier that connects via USB. My
>>intent was to use PartitionMagic to make an exact copy of my internal
>>drive on the new HDD and then just replace the internal drive with it.
>>
>> (1) I plug the new HDD into the external carrier case, (2) connect the
>> USB cable, (3) my computer detects the new hardware, (4) I can see it in
>> device manager but (5) it doesn't show up anywhere that would let me
>> access it.
>>
>> I had expected to see it as a new drive letter in windows explorer but
>> its not there.
>>
>> Anyone know how I can get a drive letter assigned that will let me access
>> the USB-connected drive?
>>
>> Howard
>
> Have you been to Disk Management to initialize, partition and format the
> drive? It won't be available until you do.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp
>
> http://tinyurl.com/27nux
>
> Look at the "Overview."

> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You cannot boot WINXP or any of the WIN family (perhaps 3.1) from an
external drive. Will only boot from a fixed drive even although your
motherboard may allow booting from a USB HDD..

> Thanks for your help. That's what the problem was.
>
> Now I'm on to the next stage of the problem. I used Partition Magic 8 to
> copy the partition from my hard drive to an external hard drive connected
> via USB 2.0. Then I switched the hard drives -- thinking that the copy
> partition function makes an exact replica -- but the laptop won't boot off
> the new disk. Says no OS found.
>
> As you can tell, I don't know much about what I'm doing...
>
> Howard
> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoescolumbus.rr.com> wrote in
> message news:eGJEbJooEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> "Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a laptop with a small hard drive that I plan to upgrade. I bought
>>>a new HDD along with an external HDD carrier that connects via USB. My
>>>intent was to use PartitionMagic to make an exact copy of my internal
>>>drive on the new HDD and then just replace the internal drive with it.
>>>
>>> (1) I plug the new HDD into the external carrier case, (2) connect the
>>> USB cable, (3) my computer detects the new hardware, (4) I can see it in
>>> device manager but (5) it doesn't show up anywhere that would let me
>>> access it.
>>>
>>> I had expected to see it as a new drive letter in windows explorer but
>>> its not there.
>>>
>>> Anyone know how I can get a drive letter assigned that will let me
>>> access the USB-connected drive?
>>>
>>> Howard
>>
>> Have you been to Disk Management to initialize, partition and format the
>> drive? It won't be available until you do.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/27nux
>>
>> Look at the "Overview."
>>
>> --
>>
>> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
>> I was just trying to help.
>> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
>> advice herein.
>> No warranty is expressed or implied.
>> Your mileage may vary.
>> See store for details. :)
>>
>> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm not trying to boot from the external drive. I used the [new larger]
external drive only to copy the partition [using PartitionMagic] from the
internal drive. Then I switched the hard drives. The copied disk won't
boot when I install it as the internal drive.

Howard
=====================================
"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> You cannot boot WINXP or any of the WIN family (perhaps 3.1) from an
> external drive. Will only boot from a fixed drive even although your
> motherboard may allow booting from a USB HDD..
>

> "Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your help. That's what the problem was.
>>
>> Now I'm on to the next stage of the problem. I used Partition Magic 8 to
>> copy the partition from my hard drive to an external hard drive connected
>> via USB 2.0. Then I switched the hard drives -- thinking that the copy
>> partition function makes an exact replica -- but the laptop won't boot
>> off the new disk. Says no OS found.
>>
>> As you can tell, I don't know much about what I'm doing...
>>
>> Howard
>> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoescolumbus.rr.com> wrote in
>> message news:eGJEbJooEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> "Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message

>>> Have you been to Disk Management to initialize, partition and format the
>>> drive? It won't be available until you do.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/27nux
>>>
>>> Look at the "Overview."
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
>>> I was just trying to help.
>>> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
>>> advice herein.
>>> No warranty is expressed or implied.
>>> Your mileage may vary.
>>> See store for details. :)
>>>
>>> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I am guessing... the path for the OS install on the drive
doesn't match when connected internally. Try a repair
install of XP with the drive installed internally. You will
need to reinstall SP2 but other programs should remain
intact.

| I'm not trying to boot from the external drive. I used
the [new larger]
| external drive only to copy the partition [using
PartitionMagic] from the
| internal drive. Then I switched the hard drives. The
copied disk won't
| boot when I install it as the internal drive.
|
| Howard
| =====================================
| "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in
message
| > You cannot boot WINXP or any of the WIN family (perhaps
3.1) from an
| > external drive. Will only boot from a fixed drive even
although your
| > motherboard may allow booting from a USB HDD..
| >

| > "Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message
| >> Thanks for your help. That's what the problem was.
| >>
| >> Now I'm on to the next stage of the problem. I used
Partition Magic 8 to
| >> copy the partition from my hard drive to an external
hard drive connected
| >> via USB 2.0. Then I switched the hard drives --
thinking that the copy
| >> partition function makes an exact replica -- but the
laptop won't boot
| >> off the new disk. Says no OS found.
| >>
| >> As you can tell, I don't know much about what I'm
doing...

| >> Howard
| >> ========================================
| >> "HillBillyBuddhist"
<hillbillybuddhist@shoescolumbus.rr.com> wrote in
| >> message news:eGJEbJooEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
that connects via
exact copy of my
the internal drive

case, (2) connect the
(4) I can see it

windows explorer but

that will let me

partition and format the

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp

any suggestions or

Partition magic only copied the partition, not the mbr (master boot record).
Without this you can't boot os.