Not recognizing USB externdal HDD

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have a laptop with a small hard drive that I plan to upgrade. I bought a
new HDD along with an external HDD carrier that connects via USB. My intent
was to use PartitionMagic to make an exact copy of my internal drive on the
new HDD and then just replace the internal drive with it.

(1) I plug the new HDD into the external carrier case, (2) connect the USB
cable, (3) my computer detects the new hardware, (4) I can see it in device
manager but (5) it doesn't show up anywhere that would let me access it.

I had expected to see it as a new drive letter in windows explorer but its
not there.

Anyone know how I can get a drive letter assigned that will let me access
the USB-connected drive?

Howard
6 answers Last reply
More about recognizing externdal
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message
    >I have a laptop with a small hard drive that I plan to upgrade. I bought a
    >new HDD along with an external HDD carrier that connects via USB. My
    >intent was to use PartitionMagic to make an exact copy of my internal drive
    >on the new HDD and then just replace the internal drive with it.
    >
    > (1) I plug the new HDD into the external carrier case, (2) connect the USB
    > cable, (3) my computer detects the new hardware, (4) I can see it in
    > device manager but (5) it doesn't show up anywhere that would let me
    > access it.
    >
    > I had expected to see it as a new drive letter in windows explorer but its
    > not there.
    >
    > Anyone know how I can get a drive letter assigned that will let me access
    > the USB-connected drive?
    >
    > Howard

    Have you been to Disk Management to initialize, partition and format the
    drive? It won't be available until you do.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp

    http://tinyurl.com/27nux

    Look at the "Overview."

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Thanks for your help. That's what the problem was.

    Now I'm on to the next stage of the problem. I used Partition Magic 8 to
    copy the partition from my hard drive to an external hard drive connected
    via USB 2.0. Then I switched the hard drives -- thinking that the copy
    partition function makes an exact replica -- but the laptop won't boot off
    the new disk. Says no OS found.

    As you can tell, I don't know much about what I'm doing...

    Howard
    "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoescolumbus.rr.com> wrote in
    message news:eGJEbJooEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > "Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a laptop with a small hard drive that I plan to upgrade. I bought
    >>a new HDD along with an external HDD carrier that connects via USB. My
    >>intent was to use PartitionMagic to make an exact copy of my internal
    >>drive on the new HDD and then just replace the internal drive with it.
    >>
    >> (1) I plug the new HDD into the external carrier case, (2) connect the
    >> USB cable, (3) my computer detects the new hardware, (4) I can see it in
    >> device manager but (5) it doesn't show up anywhere that would let me
    >> access it.
    >>
    >> I had expected to see it as a new drive letter in windows explorer but
    >> its not there.
    >>
    >> Anyone know how I can get a drive letter assigned that will let me access
    >> the USB-connected drive?
    >>
    >> Howard
    >
    > Have you been to Disk Management to initialize, partition and format the
    > drive? It won't be available until you do.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/27nux
    >
    > Look at the "Overview."

    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)
    >
    > Remove shoes to E-mail.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You cannot boot WINXP or any of the WIN family (perhaps 3.1) from an
    external drive. Will only boot from a fixed drive even although your
    motherboard may allow booting from a USB HDD..

    > Thanks for your help. That's what the problem was.
    >
    > Now I'm on to the next stage of the problem. I used Partition Magic 8 to
    > copy the partition from my hard drive to an external hard drive connected
    > via USB 2.0. Then I switched the hard drives -- thinking that the copy
    > partition function makes an exact replica -- but the laptop won't boot off
    > the new disk. Says no OS found.
    >
    > As you can tell, I don't know much about what I'm doing...
    >
    > Howard
    > "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoescolumbus.rr.com> wrote in
    > message news:eGJEbJooEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> "Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have a laptop with a small hard drive that I plan to upgrade. I bought
    >>>a new HDD along with an external HDD carrier that connects via USB. My
    >>>intent was to use PartitionMagic to make an exact copy of my internal
    >>>drive on the new HDD and then just replace the internal drive with it.
    >>>
    >>> (1) I plug the new HDD into the external carrier case, (2) connect the
    >>> USB cable, (3) my computer detects the new hardware, (4) I can see it in
    >>> device manager but (5) it doesn't show up anywhere that would let me
    >>> access it.
    >>>
    >>> I had expected to see it as a new drive letter in windows explorer but
    >>> its not there.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know how I can get a drive letter assigned that will let me
    >>> access the USB-connected drive?
    >>>
    >>> Howard
    >>
    >> Have you been to Disk Management to initialize, partition and format the
    >> drive? It won't be available until you do.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/27nux
    >>
    >> Look at the "Overview."
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    >> I was just trying to help.
    >> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    >> advice herein.
    >> No warranty is expressed or implied.
    >> Your mileage may vary.
    >> See store for details. :)
    >>
    >> Remove shoes to E-mail.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I'm not trying to boot from the external drive. I used the [new larger]
    external drive only to copy the partition [using PartitionMagic] from the
    internal drive. Then I switched the hard drives. The copied disk won't
    boot when I install it as the internal drive.

    Howard
    =====================================
    "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > You cannot boot WINXP or any of the WIN family (perhaps 3.1) from an
    > external drive. Will only boot from a fixed drive even although your
    > motherboard may allow booting from a USB HDD..
    >

    > "Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for your help. That's what the problem was.
    >>
    >> Now I'm on to the next stage of the problem. I used Partition Magic 8 to
    >> copy the partition from my hard drive to an external hard drive connected
    >> via USB 2.0. Then I switched the hard drives -- thinking that the copy
    >> partition function makes an exact replica -- but the laptop won't boot
    >> off the new disk. Says no OS found.
    >>
    >> As you can tell, I don't know much about what I'm doing...
    >>
    >> Howard
    >> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoescolumbus.rr.com> wrote in
    >> message news:eGJEbJooEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >>> "Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message

    >>> Have you been to Disk Management to initialize, partition and format the
    >>> drive? It won't be available until you do.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/27nux
    >>>
    >>> Look at the "Overview."
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    >>> I was just trying to help.
    >>> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    >>> advice herein.
    >>> No warranty is expressed or implied.
    >>> Your mileage may vary.
    >>> See store for details. :)
    >>>
    >>> Remove shoes to E-mail.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I am guessing... the path for the OS install on the drive
    doesn't match when connected internally. Try a repair
    install of XP with the drive installed internally. You will
    need to reinstall SP2 but other programs should remain
    intact.

    | I'm not trying to boot from the external drive. I used
    the [new larger]
    | external drive only to copy the partition [using
    PartitionMagic] from the
    | internal drive. Then I switched the hard drives. The
    copied disk won't
    | boot when I install it as the internal drive.
    |
    | Howard
    | =====================================
    | "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in
    message
    | > You cannot boot WINXP or any of the WIN family (perhaps
    3.1) from an
    | > external drive. Will only boot from a fixed drive even
    although your
    | > motherboard may allow booting from a USB HDD..
    | >

    | > "Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message
    | >> Thanks for your help. That's what the problem was.
    | >>
    | >> Now I'm on to the next stage of the problem. I used
    Partition Magic 8 to
    | >> copy the partition from my hard drive to an external
    hard drive connected
    | >> via USB 2.0. Then I switched the hard drives --
    thinking that the copy
    | >> partition function makes an exact replica -- but the
    laptop won't boot
    | >> off the new disk. Says no OS found.
    | >>
    | >> As you can tell, I don't know much about what I'm
    doing...

    | >> Howard
    | >> ========================================
    | >> "HillBillyBuddhist"
    <hillbillybuddhist@shoescolumbus.rr.com> wrote in
    | >> message news:eGJEbJooEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    case, (2) connect the

    partition and format the

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Partition magic only copied the partition, not the mbr (master boot record).
    Without this you can't boot os.

Windows XP