• Graphics Cards
  • Dell
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 8:01:18 PM

I recently purchased a Dell PC , I am having a hard time finding a graphics card that will fit in the smaller tower. Is there a particular place i should start looking? It has the normal PCI/PCIE slots, but i am finding most cards do not fit in the slimline tower. Help please

More about : graphics card slimline models

a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 8:17:55 PM

Virtually every thread I've seen involving a Dell slimline system goes about like this:

Q: "I have a Dell Slimline. Can I do the video card upgrade I want?"

A: "No, you're pretty much screwed."

There are a number of low-profile cards that are at least decent, like the 9800GT or the GTS 250. But you're going to be pretty limited. Also, you'll have to be careful about power usage, because I don't think the Slimlines come with a very big power supply.

Honestly, your best option is probably to take everything out and put it into a bigger case. Then you'll be free to get whatever video card you want, with a power supply to match.
m
l
a c 148 U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 8:47:41 PM

^ that is about right. you can get a lowend card, but depending on what motherboard you have it really doesn't give much of an improvement. If you have an AMD motherboard with the HD4200 or similar onboard graphics you won't get much of an improvement. If you are running the Intel graphics a lowend card will give you moderate improvement. But my no means is there a gaming solution for these slimeline PC's.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 8:59:55 PM

Hi Jake300x2,

What the above posts are trying to tell you is that you are screwed for high end gaming. You are not screwed if you only wanted improved computer video or low-end gaming.

If you are just looking to upgrade your video, or low end gaming capacity there are many cards you could consider. These cards will be branded "low profile" or "low profile ready" They often cost a little bit more than comparable full size cards--but would add to you capacity quite nicely.

Here is a newegg listing of some low-profile cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

If you let us know your usage and price range we can probably provide more advice.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2010 3:38:21 PM

deadlockedworld said:
Hi Jake300x2,

What the above posts are trying to tell you is that you are screwed for high end gaming. You are not screwed if you only wanted improved computer video or low-end gaming.

If you are just looking to upgrade your video, or low end gaming capacity there are many cards you could consider. These cards will be branded "low profile" or "low profile ready" They often cost a little bit more than comparable full size cards--but would add to you capacity quite nicely.

Here is a newegg listing of some low-profile cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

If you let us know your usage and price range we can probably provide more advice.

m
l
!