Opinions on the HD+SSD Hybrid?

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I was thinking of getting a new HD since my 250 GB 7200 RPM is getting old. I wanted to go for SSD, but I just can't afford pure SSD as it doesn't have enough space for the price. I was looking at the hybrid of them both, and a vid showed that it is only a few seconds slower than SSD.

Anyone have opinions on it?

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Kinda violating your own personal quote here dude.

If your hard drive is still working then don't bother. Just back up regularly. When your hdd dies then perhaps the SSD market will be in a cheaper place or you'll have your hands on some extra cash.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
haha. It is only 250 gigs. I am getting a part time job and I am going to need tons more space. 250 gigs won't cut it. And I can get the Hybrid with 500 gigs pretty cheap.

Just wondering if getting a 1tb 7200 RPM is better than a 500GB hybrid. I want near SSD speed so the hybrid seemed nice. Just want to see other opinions on it.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Unfortunately this is the worst time to buy storage drives because of the price hike caused by the flooding!

Could you elaborate how you use your PC? I.e. Do you need this extra capacity for games or is it simply because you have more media.

If it's the latter then what I'd do is separate the concerns and opt for having two drives. One with the OS and the secondary for the media content. So that's pretty easy for you do right now. Just pick up another drive and move the content you want across to the secondary drive. No OS reinstall required.

Capacity sounds like your primary concern right now over speed?