Sign in with
Your question

Inno3D Geforce 9800GT Fan Control - Can't change Fan speed?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2009 9:23:35 PM

Hi, i have a GDDR3 512MB Inno3D Nvidia Geforce 9800GT and no matter what overclocking/fan control software i have tried out there, it doesn't seem to work. I have tried, Rivatuner, Speedfan, nTune (nvidia performance thing from nvidia) and yet i can't change the fan settings. It says on 35% the whole time. Usually, when i go into 5 minutes gaming, the GPU temps go up to 80-90C. This is a very hot temp and my card will eventually die out in 1 year or so. When i use RivaTuner, changing the fan control at Low level system tweaks, i have clicked enable low level fan control and have tried both settings of restarting and detecting now. On default, its on 35% and when i move it to any % and save, nothing happens. Still stays on 35%. Even when i go gaming, still at 35%. When i go to the driver system settings, i then go into the fan tab and changed to direct control plus changing the fan speed. No matter what i move it up to and i can only move the performance 3D bar, it will drop back to 35% once you click apply or okay. I have even tried ticking the apply speed fan at startup 50% and on startup, its still 35%. Even in gaming, it always stays on 35% no matter what i do. So how do i fix this overheating issue? Don't recommend me to get a new aftermarket cooler because i am getting a ATI RADEON HD 5770 later and i want this card to last until i get my new graphics card. I also want the card in good condition (so it can last longer) so that i can sell it easier.

Thanks very much. Any recommendations appreciated.

More about : inno3d geforce 9800gt fan control change fan speed

a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 12:51:45 AM

I'm currently using Rivatuner to tweak my fan settings on my GTX 260. Maybe you should read this to learn first how to do it properly. link
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 12:55:02 AM

There are some discrepancies with the latest version of Rivatuner to the one used in the guide. But still, it would give you an idea on how to do it. Hint: You could set fan speed profiles to automatically activate given a specific threshold in the scheduler tab. It is now separate from the monitoring window setup.
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2010 7:11:23 PM

I have the same problem with nVidia GeForce GTS 250. I have used the newest driver from nVidia (196.75), but there was a problem that the driver didn't control the temperature of the GPU and I almost killed it by playing a game (yes.. I smelled the smoke :??:  ).

So according to their recommendation (link) I installed older driver but now the fans are running 100% no matter what is the load of the GPU which makes the PC incredibly noisy. Pitty is that I have it in the bedroom and the noise is really annoying.

Also RivaTunner didn't help any way. No matter what fan speed I set there, it still keeps freezing the card the maximum way...

Hope nVidia will isue new driver (and better) ASAP.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a c 172 Î Nvidia
March 19, 2010 7:20:51 PM

johnny_p said:
I have the same problem with nVidia GeForce GTS 250. I have used the newest driver from nVidia (196.75), but there was a problem that the driver didn't control the temperature of the GPU and I almost killed it by playing a game (yes.. I smelled the smoke :??:  ).

So according to their recommendation (link) I installed older driver but now the fans are running 100% no matter what is the load of the GPU which makes the PC incredibly noisy. Pitty is that I have it in the bedroom and the noise is really annoying.

Also RivaTunner didn't help any way. No matter what fan speed I set there, it still keeps freezing the card the maximum way...

Hope nVidia will isue new driver (and better) ASAP.

Have you tried getting the card replaced through RMA due to the defective driver? And a new driver has been released.
m
l
!