GTX 670 FTW VS 680 SC SIGNATURE 2

Last response: in Overclocking
June 29, 2012 2:16:43 PM

the card is for $520 and it have no reviews yet
ppl says that the fans pull the air to the case not the
other way around O.o
my question is
1 is that true?
2 ppl says it uses a refrence PCB..whats the disadvantage of that since i wasnt been able to
think of any?
3 whats up with the signature thing? What it means
4 is 2gb enough for GTA V? I had an xfx 9600gt
1gb and the vram wasnt enough for it so does that
mean i should get a 4gb gtx 680? 5 Should i go with that or with the 670 FTW or a
refrence eVGA 670 with 4gb
6 theres a SC version of the 670 does that mean
that i pay 40 or $20 just that eVGA overclock it?
Or i just can overclock it with the refrence card since
both have the same design with the same cooler 7 if i didnt went with a case and just put the system
infron of a fan how good is that? Like when
overclocking? I mean a Stand Fan http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001 [...]
546&sr=8-2 how good is that option? Really hope you can answer some of them or all of them :D 
a c 100 K Overclocking
June 29, 2012 3:32:46 PM

The 680 SC Signature is indeed a reference board. This isn't a bad thing, but the biggest issue you're likely to have is noise from the blower fan. Most aftermarket heat sinks go with regular style fans because they're a lot quieter. However, performance wise, the stock coolers are fine. Just loud.

The 670 FTW has the same issue.

"signature" doesn't mean anything, it just sounds cool. Sort of like FTW. The main difference often found between different models of a card is the clock speeds. Under certain circumstances they also give you the top binned hardware or even use upgraded hardware like military grade VRMs, but those are very rare and expensive.

GTA V isn't out yet so who the hell knows. However, I've never seen a game use more than 1.8gb (BF3) although I'm sure with enough mods you can push games over that amount. It also depends on your monitor, anything at 1920x1080 or less is totally fine with 2gb.

I'd suggest the 670 over the 680 because their performance is very very close but the savings are huge. Essentially, you get a lot better price/performance.

SC = superclocked and yes, you pay extra for them to overclock it by a small amount. And yes, you can just do it yourself.

As for useing a fan... no. What case do you have? A decent case should have good internal air flow using intake and exhaust fans inside the case. Also the blower style heat sink on the two cards you're looking at is nice because it does exhaust the heat out the back rather than into your case, so really you just need to have decent intake fans.
m
l
June 29, 2012 4:52:09 PM

thanks mate :D 
i forgot to say that i want opinions (cuz it didnt got released) about the amount of vram the gta v will need since gta iv takes ~1.5 gb
ok so in your opinion a dual fan design in the gtx 670 sc signature 2 will get me more oc perfomance like say 1100 mhz cuz it have 2 fans
whereas the gtx 670 ftw have a 680 pcb and the 680 cooler which is just 1 fan
and a few other question if you have time :D 
1 is it possiple to get the oc perfomance of a 670 sc using a refrence gtx 670?
In other words
evga gtx 670 super clocked(no fans, heat pipes, just plain old refrenc)-with oc 1100mhz(example)
evga gtx 670 refrence- with oc 1100mhz
can i get the 1100mhz in the refrence?

And i dont have a case since my budget sucks
heres what imgoin to buy
motherboard: not decided
cpu: core i5 3570k
gpu: not decided
case: no case
ram: 4gb ddr3 1333mhz( 1600 or 1866 is useless literally) upgrading after some time to 8
storage: wd 500gb sata 3 7200rpm(adding an ssd in the future)
disc drive: not needed
psu: 750w or 650w(what do you think i should get)?
The prob is that every motherbaord here costs $50 or like every part is $30-50 more than in the states due to shipping and other stuff i cant talk about..

Btw what do you think of this plan
buying a gigabyte B75 and save to get
Asus Maximus V formula z77
the prob with the B75(the only version thats available here) is it have 1 sata 3 only and worse i cant oc with that board
what u think mate?
m
l
Related resources
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 29, 2012 4:54:04 PM

You don't need to overclock to get great performance in GTA.

I would get a mid range Z77 board like the asrock z77 extreme 4.
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:06:07 PM

im talkin bout gta v(like just opinions)
sure but it cost $220 here :D 
my budget is a solid $1000 which i woudl get better spec if i lived in the states or the uk
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:20:28 PM

i forgot to say that i want opinions (cuz it didnt got released) about the amount of vram the gta v will need since gta iv takes ~1.5 gb
ok so in your opinion a dual fan design in the gtx 670 sc signature 2 will get me more oc perfomance like say 1100 mhz cuz it have 2 fans
In other words
evga gtx 670 super clocked(no fans, heat pipes, just plain old refrenc)-with oc 1100mhz(example)

heres what imgoin to buy
ram: 4gb ddr3 1333mhz( 1600 or 1866 is useless literally) upgrading after some time to 8
The prob is that every motherbaord here costs $50 or like every part is $30-50 more than in the states due to shipping and other stuff i cant talk about..

the prob with the B75(the only version thats available here) is it have 1 sata 3 only and worse i cant oc with that board
what u think mate?
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
June 29, 2012 5:21:37 PM

Where do you live?
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:27:16 PM

palestine - far west asia
near europe :D 
sorry for the same post there
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
June 29, 2012 5:36:46 PM

Ok well for a $1000 build, there's no way I'd put a $550 GPU in there. That is silly. Get something reasonable for $200-250 and build a balanced machine from the start. Maybe then you can save up and get a better GPU and sell the old one or something.

IMO, look at a 7850 from AMD or a 560 Ti or something like that. Get an i5 2500k and a decent P67 board. Get 8 gigs of RAM (2x4gb) from the start. That's my opinion, anyway.
m
l
June 29, 2012 6:23:33 PM

wolfram23 said:
Ok well for a $1000 build, there's no way I'd put a $550 GPU in there. That is silly. Get something reasonable for $200-250 and build a balanced machine from the start. Maybe then you can save up and get a better GPU and sell the old one or something.

IMO, look at a 7850 from AMD or a 560 Ti or something like that. Get an i5 2500k and a decent P67 board. Get 8 gigs of RAM (2x4gb) from the start. That's my opinion, anyway.

thanks mate but no, i looked up every nvidia amd card at every price, getting mid range is a no go cuz i will stay with the card that i will get for 2 years and after that i will get a high end card
i decided to get the EVGA GTX 670 4GB with backlate(not the sc version) for $469.99 with shipping and going thru tunnels i will get it for $510 yeah i live in really shitty place where a 1990 car is for $4k USED(pre owned)
1 last ques
will i b able to oc the card to the oc potentials of the super clocked version? Cuz theres no diffrence in cooling or design in both cards just that the sc is clocked higher
m
l
June 29, 2012 6:28:32 PM

In other words

heres what imgoin to buy

what u think mate?
m
l
June 29, 2012 6:36:31 PM

don't get the 4GB. waste of money unless you are going to sli it with another one. get a superclocked instead.
m
l
June 29, 2012 8:03:47 PM

I just got back from the store from purchasing a GTX 670 FTW and I must admit I really like this card. I have played FFXIV and BF3 in surround display and haven’t come close to running out of vram. It does struggle in some places when not in sli but if you put them in sli you will be just fine. I would like to see a benchmark of 2GB vs 4GB because even myself don’t understand why are people being told to get 4GB cards.
m
l
June 29, 2012 8:07:09 PM

roadkill922 said:
don't get the 4GB. waste of money unless you are going to sli it with another one. get a superclocked instead.

its not cuz im going to use it for 2 years and maybe 3 if im going to sli in the future
and superclocked is just oc from the company and for ppl who dont know or want to risk overclocking
so dont anyone know the answer of my question?
m
l
June 29, 2012 8:11:10 PM

nupe123 said:
I just got back from the store from purchasing a GTX 670 FTW and I must admit I really like this card. I have played FFXIV and BF3 in surround display and haven’t come close to running out of vram. It does struggle in some places when not in sli but if you put them in sli you will be just fine. I would like to see a benchmark of 2GB vs 4GB because even myself don’t understand why are people being told to get 4GB cards.

since you have the 680 pcb and cooler can you tell me the maximum overclocking perfomance? Cuz you can oc the 680 and get more than %20 perfomance
but for the 670 you can just get it to %20 perfomance with oc
and im going to stay with it for 2 years or 3 if im going for sli in the future
thanks for answering mate :D 
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
June 29, 2012 8:30:05 PM

lhikary said:
thanks mate but no, i looked up every nvidia amd card at every price, getting mid range is a no go cuz i will stay with the card that i will get for 2 years and after that i will get a high end card

What? A GTX 670 is a high end card. A very high end card.

A 560 Ti or a 7850 will play almost any game at max/high settings right now, and games aren't really getting any more demanding. I don't know about where you are, but GTX 580s can be had for really good deals right now, like $350 and that will definitely max out any game currently available at 1920x1080.

I'm personally at around 2.5 years on a pair of 5850 1gb cards which are very even with a 580 performance wise, and I'm playing games like Metro 2033 and BF3 at Very High settings with over 50fps avg.

As I stated before, my opinion is that you should get a nice motherboard, 8gb of RAM, a good CPU like a 2500k (if you can get the 3550k for the same price, go for it), a decent CPU cooler like the 212 Evo, a decent HDD like a Seagate Momentus XT (hybrid HDD), a case with nice air flow ($100) and of course Windows 7 ($100). Oh and never forget a good PSU! Buying some crappy PSU can ruin a computer, or at least make it the most frustrating thing in the world. Probably need at least a high end 550W-650W (80 PLUS bronze or better certified). And then whatever GPU you can afford with what's left.

Doing that, you can then easily SLI or Crossfire your GPUs when you save up the money and be rocking the PC gaming world for years to come. If you decide to buy as much cheap stuff now as you can just to get it built, you end up spending twice as much when you have to constantly replace things.

I also explained in the first post that the "factory overclocked" card speeds can almost always be attained or surpased with non-OCed versions if you care to risk your hardware.
m
l
June 29, 2012 8:34:26 PM

I hate to disappoint but I have no idea on how to OC a GPU and by the time I figure it out and run some test I'm sure someone would have answered your question lol. Now I'm paranoid when I play my games instead of paying attention to the game I'm watching my vram to see how close to 2GB is it getting lol I read this article on the front page http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-tes... and this is what made me get the FTW edition over the regular card. Sorry I can’t answer you question about the OC. But I think your main concern is if you can easily OC the 670 FTW up to the 680 SC signature 2 then you could just get the 670 FTW and save money. The FTW really closes the gap on the 670 vs 680 and I can’t imagine you being disappointed with the FTW unless your super hardcore lol
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
June 29, 2012 8:41:46 PM

HardOCP did a VRAM check, BF3 used up to 1.8gb on a 7970 3gb card in 5760x1080 at highest possible in game settings.
m
l
June 29, 2012 8:54:59 PM

wolfram23 said:
What? A GTX 670 is a high end card. A very high end card.

A 560 Ti or a 7850 will play almost any game at max/high settings right now, and games aren't really getting any more demanding. I don't know about where you are, but GTX 580s can be had for really good deals right now, like $350 and that will definitely max out any game currently available at 1920x1080.

I'm personally at around 2.5 years on a pair of 5850 1gb cards which are very even with a 580 performance wise, and I'm playing games like Metro 2033 and BF3 at Very High settings with over 50fps avg.

As I stated before, my opinion is that you should get a nice motherboard, 8gb of RAM, a good CPU like a 2500k (if you can get the 3550k for the same price, go for it), a decent CPU cooler like the 212 Evo, a decent HDD like a Seagate Momentus XT (hybrid HDD), a case with nice air flow ($100) and of course Windows 7 ($100). Oh and never forget a good PSU! Buying some crappy PSU can ruin a computer, or at least make it the most frustrating thing in the world. Probably need at least a high end 550W-650W (80 PLUS bronze or better certified). And then whatever GPU you can afford with what's left.

Doing that, you can then easily SLI or Crossfire your GPUs when you save up the money and be rocking the PC gaming world for years to come. If you decide to buy as much cheap stuff now as you can just to get it built, you end up spending twice as much when you have to constantly replace things.

I also explained in the first post that the "factory overclocked" card speeds can almost always be attained or surpased with non-OCed versions if you care to risk your hardware.

thanks mate for answering my question :D 
and thanks for giving me opinions but if i want to get any part of what you just mentioned add 100 to $50 to it so yeah im limited to what i will buy
wow thats impressive but its hard to belive really that 2 5850's run BF3 at ultra settings with an avg of 50fps
thanks again
btw whats your bf3 gamer tag? Maybe we can play together? Dont worry im a pro i think lol i get like 110/50 k/d
m
l
June 29, 2012 8:57:59 PM

nupe123 said:
I hate to disappoint but I have no idea on how to OC a GPU and by the time I figure it out and run some test I'm sure someone would have answered your question lol. Now I'm paranoid when I play my games instead of paying attention to the game I'm watching my vram to see how close to 2GB is it getting lol I read this article on the front page http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-tes... and this is what made me get the FTW edition over the regular card. Sorry I can’t answer you question about the OC. But I think your main concern is if you can easily OC the 670 FTW up to the 680 SC signature 2 then you could just get the 670 FTW and save money. The FTW really closes the gap on the 670 vs 680 and I can’t imagine you being disappointed with the FTW unless your super hardcore lol

my advice for you mate is to NEVER OC unless your seeing lagging (frame drops below 30 or below playable which is 18 to me) but ofcurse check everything cuz it may not be your card then if everything is ok overclock your card
thanks mate for stopping by
whats your gamertag?
m
l
June 29, 2012 9:14:30 PM

wolfram23 said:
HardOCP did a VRAM check, BF3 used up to 1.8gb on a 7970 3gb card in 5760x1080 at highest possible in game settings.

hmmm but i still dont get it why gta v which is a 2 years old game need 1.5gb at 1440x900
i had a TERRIBLE experiene playing it due to my xfx 9600gt 1gb and my core 2 due @ 2.4ghz stock
the game lagged as f*** but since im a big fan i kept playing it
SO for just $50 more i will get double the memore of the 670 ftw and i will get a backplate and if my youtube kept growing i will get a 1600p screen and another in the future
one last question tho what powersupply you recommend for dual 670's ?
And what motherboard do i get? I just need it to support ivy bridge and have 2 sata 3 connectors and x16 on both cards when running sli cuz some motherboards gives u x8 on sli
and finally to have a decent integrated sound card
what you think of the asus maximus v formula z77?
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
June 29, 2012 9:36:44 PM

GTA IV was a terrible, terrible PC game. They did nothing to help it run better, so people with monster rigs still had to turn the settings way down. There's many games that look way better and are less demanding, they just effed up with the PC port.

Also my tag is... I think it's The_Wolfram23, or maybe just Wolfram23. I forget now. I have around 75 hours played but have stopped playing it a few months back. Might get back into it though, I'd like to get the Close Quarter DLC.

And in BF3 my FPS avg was usually 60-70 in the vanilla game at Very High 2xMSAA, but in the Back to Karkand maps it was high 50s. Reason being, ran out of VRAM. Not sure why the Karkand maps used more, but it caused some lag when it had to swap memory. 1.5-2gb would be plenty though.

Metro 2033 is so far the most demanding game I've played, but I can crank it up pretty high. I usually run it at Very High, DX11, Tesselation on, DoF off, 4xMSAA, 16AF and get 50-55 avg, although the bigger scenes outdoors or with a ton of lighting effects are in the 40s. I made a long video of the game because I like it so much
http://wolframpc.blogspot.ca/2011/12/metro-2033-is-awes...
m
l
June 30, 2012 3:24:18 AM

wolfram23 said:
GTA IV was a terrible, terrible PC game. They did nothing to help it run better, so people with monster rigs still had to turn the settings way down. There's many games that look way better and are less demanding, they just effed up with the PC port.

Also my tag is... I think it's The_Wolfram23, or maybe just Wolfram23. I forget now. I have around 75 hours played but have stopped playing it a few months back. Might get back into it though, I'd like to get the Close Quarter DLC.

And in BF3 my FPS avg was usually 60-70 in the vanilla game at Very High 2xMSAA, but in the Back to Karkand maps it was high 50s. Reason being, ran out of VRAM. Not sure why the Karkand maps used more, but it caused some lag when it had to swap memory. 1.5-2gb would be plenty though.

Metro 2033 is so far the most demanding game I've played, but I can crank it up pretty high. I usually run it at Very High, DX11, Tesselation on, DoF off, 4xMSAA, 16AF and get 50-55 avg, although the bigger scenes outdoors or with a ton of lighting effects are in the 40s. I made a long video of the game because I like it so much
http://wolframpc.blogspot.ca/2011/12/metro-2033-is-awes...

thanks mate but still the 4gb is my choice UNLESS it wasnt available then i will choose the 670 ftw
so what psu you suggest for dual 670's? Cuz thats the department where i dont know anything about anything
m
l
June 30, 2012 9:53:14 PM

so i wait now?
m
l
August 14, 2012 8:03:38 PM

Well a descent build with an i5 and 8gb (4GBx2) of RAM and stock cooling as well as an average of 2 hard drives you will need around 613 - 663W on a 80 Plus Silver/Gold PSU.

To carry 2 of those babies in SLI :) 

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

If you want more specific details visit te link above.

Hope that helps :) 
m
l
!