Sign in with
Your question

Hard disk damaged and window not installing

Last response: in Storage
December 2, 2011 2:25:31 AM

Hello. I m Ijaz, from Peshawar Pakistan. i am facing the problem of windows installation in my computer, when i try to install windows XP, the message "Unable to copy file......" comes. and every time there is different file name. I think the Hard Disk is damaged, but i m not too sure. KIndly help me with a detailed reply, if possible, plz. thanx allot.
a b G Storage
December 2, 2011 3:21:21 AM

Hello Ijaz,

Welcome to Forums. I don't remember exactly when but during the install there is an option to format the disk. I suggest you should format the disk before install.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 2, 2011 11:35:43 AM

If you really think the disk is bust just RMA it.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 2, 2011 12:28:47 PM

How many sticks of Ram do you have installed? If one of them is faulty, that could exhibit the symptoms you describe. Run Memtest to check.
m
l
December 3, 2011 5:27:02 AM

Ijaz, are you trying to re-install winxp from a install cd, if so it sounds like the cd is damaged. If you are installing from a recovery partition on the hard drive it may be corrupted. Get your self a good copy of xp and change the boot order in the pc's bios so that the cd/dvd drive is the first boot device and when asked do a full format on the hard drive.
m
l
!