Sign in with
Your question

Samsung HD103SJ 1TB Drive

Last response: in Systems
December 22, 2009 1:15:50 PM

I am putting together my build (i7-920, ASROCK X58 Extreme, 6GB mem, Windows 7) and am having a problem with intermittent freezes - never a BSOD just random freezes. I am a bit suspicious of my new Samsung HD103SJ drive and am attempting to diagnose it. Unfortunately when I go to the SAMSUNG site and look for a diagnostic tool to check the drive, there is absolutely no mention anywhere on the site of this model drive (HD103SJ). The diagnostic tool that they have (HUTIL) says it does not work against this drive when I try to run it.

Anyone have an idea for the best way to diagnose this drive? Can you recommend a tool that I can use?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom
December 22, 2009 3:32:55 PM

I would download and run the Ultimate Boot CD and review the hard disk tools. The disk has a couple of different diagnostics tools that should be helpful.
m
l
March 26, 2010 1:10:46 PM

Eboon said:
I am putting together my build (i7-920, ASROCK X58 Extreme, 6GB mem, Windows 7) and am having a problem with intermittent freezes - never a BSOD just random freezes. I am a bit suspicious of my new Samsung HD103SJ drive and am attempting to diagnose it. Unfortunately when I go to the SAMSUNG site and look for a diagnostic tool to check the drive, there is absolutely no mention anywhere on the site of this model drive (HD103SJ). The diagnostic tool that they have (HUTIL) says it does not work against this drive when I try to run it.

Anyone have an idea for the best way to diagnose this drive? Can you recommend a tool that I can use?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom

This is the best info for you - official samsung site at US:

]www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/productmodel.do?group=72&type=94&subtype=98&model_cd=507&dType=G&mType=SW&tab=down&ppmi=1087]
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2010 9:31:13 PM

Alvin Smith said:
Freezes = Drivers

Not necessarily. The most common cause of freezing problems that I've seen is RAM issues followed by hard drive problems and overheating.

What exact RAM kit do you have? Have you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to their rated values in the BIOS? Have you run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM problems?
m
l
March 26, 2010 9:56:04 PM

took the bait! ... very fortunate for us !

= Al =

m
l
March 26, 2010 10:04:09 PM

Not that it matters. I didn't notice alexanderbg dug up a thread that's three months old. :( 
m
l
March 26, 2010 10:15:13 PM

Yea ... Another "Library Science" Major ... Here-here!

= Solved, then ? = (IDK)

m
l
March 26, 2010 10:26:12 PM

Better late than never... I always say :p 
m
l
October 28, 2010 8:51:53 PM

I just purchased a new SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache hard drive and I am about to put it in a new system. I just called Samsung and a nice gentleman pointed me to a link for their diagnostic utility.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/down...

CD
ESTOOL301p_CDROM.zip

Or

Floppy
ESTOOL301p_FDD.zip
m
l
!