Need help finding a new MoBo

strider-43

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
My current specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor stock cooler
Seventeam ST-850ZAF 850W PS
MSI N250GTS-2D1G GeForce GTS 250 1GB
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2
ASUS M2A-VM MoBo

I'm new to building my own pc so im not really sure what i should look for. I know that my mobo is whats keeping my system back from its true potential.

Really all im looking for is a board with decent overclocking ability that wont bottleneck my other components and run new games like Final Fantasy 14, Civ V and, Star Wars: The old Republic at pretty high settings

I'm open to any and all input from the community about suggestions for what i should get or upgrade or replace ect.

I dont want to switch to a DDR3 board as I think the prices for DDR3 is too high.

From what I see that mobo doesn't have support for your CPU.

Anyway, that's a good CPU and it still has a lot of life in it and for gaming you should upgrade the video card not the mobo/CPU but I see that the GTS 250 is good enough for your games.

i would keep the mobo/CPU/RAM and upgrade the GPU but only if the games don't run smoothly.

Can you download this and tell us what's your core speed? That mobo of yours might actually have support for Phenom II X4s and whatnot.

needsumhelplol

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

strider-43

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

My MoBO doesn's support this CPU officially but it works just fine with the latest latest BIOS update. everything is set to stock speeds. the reason i say its my MoBo holding back my system is because it's limited to a HT speed of 1,000 mhz (2,000 technically if u count both ways)

strider-43

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

My computer case can hold an ATX mobo and thats auctually a board i've been looking at. before i purchase anything though i wanted to see what other people suggested.