F690gvm CPU

Last response: in CPUs
March 1, 2010 11:43:56 AM

Problems in upgrading CPU

Acer Aspire M3100 2007/06/30
Main Board F690GVM
AMD Sempron 3600+ Socket AM2

I bought AMD Athlon X2 5000 Socket AM2+
After I change the CPU the machine didn'n boot. Only cpu fan started. No beep, no display.
After changing back the old Sempron CPU all plays fine.
I repeated three times the change, same result.

Also I updated BIOS from R01-A0 to R01-A1 dated 06/25/2007
There is a newer BIOS version R02-B1 available in Acer ftp-site, but the winflash bios loader didn't accept it to upgrading.

I've found that Acer M3100 would accept AMD Athlon X2.

I wonder if there are some jumper settings or similar before cpu can be upgraded to Athlon X2.

More about : f690gvm cpu

a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 1, 2010 12:44:47 PM

No. Winflash is tricky to get working. I downloaded the file and saved it to the documents section. Can't remember if you have to unzip it first. Had to disable "boot block" setting in the bios, then change some security settings as they came up on the screen to get it working. It's very difficult to upgrade the cpu on an oem board by acer, dell, etc. They aren't designed for upgrading, and don't give you any info for a flash program when it's available. I would leave it alone, unless the m3100 works with the 5000. With winflash, you may have to manually select the bios file when prompted by the flash program. With some boards, it's not automatically detected.
March 22, 2010 2:10:45 PM

I updated my bios for my Veriton M410. The M410 series all use the same motherboard and AMD Chipset. The new bios is R2-B3.bin. You do have to boot into setup and unlock the bios upgrade feature (Near the bottom of the bios page).

Winflash worked perfect and I used it to backup R2-B30S. I am going to clear bios and cmos today and put the original bios R2-B30S firmware back into the bios chip----the new bios changes our computer's name to Aspire. Though the bios looks identical to the original, if it changes the name of my computer then it may have some changes to the I/O in more significant ways, like CPU fan speeds etc. I didn't notice any change in my systems performance so I don't feel I need the new bios.

One thing about Acer knowledge base--they don't provide FAQ's like other OEM's. It would be nice to find a .pdf on what changes are in the updated 2009 version of bios R2-B3.

Just remember to boot to bios first and unlock it so you can use Winflash.

If you want the same bios to experiment with, just visit this page at Acer and choose your model.
http://support.acer.com/drivers_download.aspx
Related resources
May 14, 2014 11:33:17 AM

old i know but any luck? I aquired a phenom hd9750 and wanna replace a athlon x2 5000+ in a Acer Aspire M3100. I wanna try a direct swap but this rig is valuable to me, to much so to mess up. I've compared chipsets and not really any bios updates from acer...however i have my opinions on their support... the chpset is rs690 sb 600 should support phenom. socket AM2... don't know if I should order a new board or what...either way If anyone got some goahead advice I'll post results...if it works if not then it didn't work...maybe
June 4, 2014 12:37:10 PM

tdkryu said:
old i know but any luck? I aquired a phenom hd9750 and wanna replace a athlon x2 5000+ in a Acer Aspire M3100. I wanna try a direct swap but this rig is valuable to me, to much so to mess up. I've compared chipsets and not really any bios updates from acer...however i have my opinions on their support... the chpset is rs690 sb 600 should support phenom. socket AM2... don't know if I should order a new board or what...either way If anyone got some goahead advice I'll post results...if it works if not then it didn't work...maybe

Check your Bios version. If it is R02-B3 it will work. If your Bios version is different you can still try your phenom to check if it can work.
There is no risk involved. Only first generation phenoms allowed. Only limit to these phenoms is power requirement. Avoid models having a TDP of 125 and 140 watts. Choose the ones that have a 95 watts TDP. Valid for X3 and X4 phenoms. If it doesn't work you can try flashing your board (IF YOU know what you're doing) or upgrade your X2 5000 to a X2 6000 (caution here again: use model
with a TDP of 95 watts or less).
June 4, 2014 2:21:32 PM

Well on the down side, it didn't work. I'm not able to find a Bios update and so the answer to my question is no a Phenom x4 HD9750 will not work in an Acer Aspire M3100-U3300A stock motherboard F690GVM that's OK I can find a decent AM2+ board mATX to swap and use the Phenom x4...any suggestions needs PCIe x16 and 4 ram slots
June 4, 2014 4:48:42 PM

tdkryu said:
Well on the down side, it didn't work. I'm not able to find a Bios update and so the answer to my question is no a Phenom x4 HD9750 will not work in an Acer Aspire M3100-U3300A stock motherboard F690GVM that's OK I can find a decent AM2+ board mATX to swap and use the Phenom x4...any suggestions needs PCIe x16 and 4 ram slots

AT YOUR OWN RISK. If your machine is working fine and still handy then don't flash. If you do flash : two ways to do it. 1) the DOS way with a bootable disquette or equivalent CD disk 2) the flash utility run in Windows. Any method used requires you unlock boot block in current bios menu prior to flashing. Perhaps you can backup your current bios with the flash utility.
R02-B3 bios files are available at Acer's main download page under desktop model Veriton M410. Read the readme.txt after unpacking.
Abit AN52 with the last bios version (1.6) is another motherboard supporting first generation phenoms but with the same TDP restrictions. It has PCIe x16 graphics slot and supports 8Gb DDR2-800(PC2-6400) on 4 ram slots.
!