What is the best water cooling system for tri sli

bobj1983

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I'm building a new system gonna go all out money isn't really an object. this will be my first adventure in to high end graphics and water cooling so would appreciate some advice my only prerequisit for the cooling system is that it has to be contained within the case preferably somthing that would sit in the drive bays. it also only needs to deal with the graphics cards as i've decided to cool the cpu seperatly using the corsair h50
spec for the machine so far are:

- Asus P6T7 WS SuperComputer X58 Socket 1366 CEB Motherboard

- 2x Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1866MHz Dominator GT i7 Memory Kit with Airflow Fan CL7(7-8-7-20) 1.65V Unbuffered Non-ECC

- Corsair Obsidian 800D Case - 3x 140mm Fans with 4x Hot-Swap Hard Drive Bays

- Corsair 1000W HX PSU

- Intel Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz Socket 1366 8MB

- 4x Western Digital WD1500HLFS 150GB Hard Drive SATAII 10000rpm 16MB Cache

- corsair hydro series h50

- 3x Gainward GTX295 1792MB GDDR3 Single PCB Dual DVI Out

- 6x dell 2209WA 22" monitors

as i said any advice is appreciated thanks

Have you bought these yet? Basically, I'm asking if you still have time to change some parts. For the amount you're spending on your system, you're not getting a whole lot of performance...

A note about tri-SLI. The gains from multiple GPUs do not scale well past 2 cards. It's an utter waste of money to buy 3 cards. You get very little improvement above the two cards.

Another note on tri-SLI. Currently, ATI is destroying nVidia. there is almost no reason to buy nVidia cards right now. Eyefinity is built specifically for using multiple monitors (up to 3 on a single ATI card). You've made an extremely poor choice by going with nVidia.

As far as water cooling goes, I personally think it's a waste of money. As long as you have a case with good airflow, and aren't trying to break any overclocking records, you shouldn't waste the $200 (in your case more like $500) to water cool.

The rest of this you can ignore if you've already bought the parts...

Velociraptor might as well be called velociCRAPtors. The newer 500 GB platter 7200 rpm drives are all around better. Trade those in for Samsung Spinpoint F3s (500 GB for $55 or 1 TB for $85). It's larger, cheaper, quieter and faster. You'd still have enough left over to pick up a SSD as a boot drive (which I don't recommend, but seems you're hell bent on breaking a spending record).

That Corsair memory is way over priced. Currently, Newegg has 1600 mhz sticks, CL 6 for $195. Those will be as good (if not better) than what you have, and are significantly cheaper.

You don't need a 1000W PSU, even with 3 GPUs. 850W would have done it.

You really wasted your money on an i7-975? If you really hate money that much, you should donate to charity...

I've already talked about the GPUs sucking, but you really dropped the ball on that one. For about the same price, you could have gotten HD 5970s, the best GPU known to man.

Other than that you build's good. [strike]So you picked a good case.[/strike] I take that back. That case is WAY overpriced. Grab a Coolermaster HAF 932. It's keeps everything cooler at under 1/2 the cost.

Way to do your research and *not* waste your money...

bobj1983

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
i chose the nvidia cards as it's gonna be a linux box and the ati drivers are CRAP, as for the memory i'm buying in the uk and the price over here is much better, i'm going for the 1kw psu so i can sling 4 2tb drives in aswell and i want power stability with all those drives spinning up. as for the drives the raptors will out preform the spinpoints in a raid configuration any day of the week and there is no way i'm gonna waste money on ssd's, the cpu well why not go for the most expensive all hardware is gonna go out of date my aim is to build a system to last 3 years min i generally build a £500 system every 2 years and only build what i can afford now i'm gonna build what i want. the system aint gonna be used for gaming so won't get upgraded everytime a new game comes out. as for the water cooling i have been considering scapping it as the main motivation behind the case was for the airflow design

Actually, the VRs won't out perform the F3s in RAID. RAID only makes the HDDs faster. You start with faster drives before RAID, you get faster drives after RAID.

And I agree that SSDs aren't worth the premium, but they're certainly better than VRs. If you're not using it for gaming, I'm assuming the multiple screens are for stock trading. In which case, the mere seconds the SSD saves would be worth it. You don't need to replace all of the HDDs with SSDs, you just need a separate one for the OS and apps. So you can be running 4 Samsungs in RAID for your data at sonic speeds and all of your programs at lightning speed with the SSD, likely for less than the cost of the VRs.

Any LGA1156/1366 system will last you 3 years. Hell, they'll last a lot longer than that. Even an AMD system can guarentee you that, and right now, they're not even in the high-end market. You can also overclock the i7-920 and beat the extreme edition, all while saving nearly $800. That's why you don't go for the most expensive. The more expensive you go, the faster it becomes obsolete.

Also, now days, the CPU isn't the most expensive part of the computer, especially in well thought out high-end systems. The gains you get by spending more on a CPU are extremely minimal once you pass a certain point (which is the jump from the i5 to i7-920). The most expensive part right now is the GPU.

bobj1983

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
the system is gonna be used for running a couple of vm's and doing network simulation the gpu's are mostly gonna be used for heavy number crunching utilising the cuda parallel processing platform.
my main concern with the hdd's is reliability and redundancy i've got two raptors that i've had for years(that are both still working perfectly), i've had about half a dozen samsungs that have all lasted about 18 months if i was that bothered about performance i'd be making use of the SAS ports on the mobo and getting a couple of 15k seagate drives. let's just put this down to personal preference.