SSD sata3 on sata2 mb

marten

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi there,

I currently own a gigabyte p35-ds3 motherboard that has only sata2 (kinda' old ~ 4 years) with a E8500 cpu. I'm thinking of buying a ssd and I'm thinking of OCZ vertez 3 or agility 3, which one do you recommend? I hope there won't be any issues caused by the fact that the ssd is 6Gbps and the mobo is 3Gbps. I expect the ssd to work at 3Gbps. In the folowing 6-8 months I'm planning on changing the whole PC so I'm starting with the ssd :)
So...what do you guys think?

Yanthrax

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
It will work with sata 2, i personally would go for a Crucial M4 SSD, i've heard OCZ doesn't have the best SSD's when it comes to reliability (And Crucial M4 gives a bit more actual storage)

Yanthrax

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Yes, but i personally don't care much for the write speeds as you'll use the read speeds much more, i do care more about the extra space given by the Crucial M4, if going for the 120/128GB there is a difference of 7.4GB which is alot for SSD's IMO. (and if coming from a regular HDD you'll notice a huge boost in speed anyway)

marten

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Do you think it would be a high difference between agility and vertex? I did some more research and according to ocz.com , vertex is part of high performance ssd's, and agility is from category value ssd's.

marten

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
There is also a noticeable price difference between agility and vertex, for about 50$. Seems a bit more, considering there is not such a huge performance difference. I think I'll go with Agility after all. Do you know if it requires a firmware update? I know there were some problems with this some while ago.

Yanthrax

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

It seems there's an update available on the OCZ website: http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_3,_Vertex_3_Max_IOPS,_Agility_3,_Solid_3,_RevoDrive_3_and_RevoDrive_3_X2/

So i assume it's best to update =)

Here's a thread by someone asking how to do that: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?97081-New-system-build-with-Agility-3-SSD