Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Hyper 212+ question

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 30, 2012 3:16:47 AM

Hello guys, so what I want to know is whether I should redo my hyper 212+.

So basically this is my first build, and I did a couple of things I probably should never have done and that is touch the bottom of the direct heat pipes with Arctic Silver 5 applied and lifting my heat-sink up and down because I wasn't able to get the tension bracket to lock, which creates air bubbles. However when I looked into my bios temperature setting, It was hitting 34 degrees Celsius at stock speeds. Is this normal? It is according to other stock configurations and my fan rpm is around 800 rpm. Are these normal numbers? Could I have done a much better job of applying the thermal paste and installing the hyper 212+. By the way my processor is i5-3570K. Also, after I have installed my hyper 212+, it wiggles a little bit when I nudge it. Is that normal? And last thing, when I boot up to bios sometimes, the American Megatrends splash-screen says that CPU fan error but my CPU fan is spinning. Is this a normal occurence or is there really a terminal problem such as possibility that my CPU fan will die out while I'm operating my PC? Thank you very much. My motherboard is P8Z77-V if that helps.

More about : hyper 212 question

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2012 3:30:33 AM

Most of what you did is ok.

The wiggle is normal and a bit of side to side when you first install should help to remove air bubbles.

34 idle is just fine. Load is what needs to be tested.

The fan error may be due to the lower fan speed of the 212. Does this happen after the pc has been powered for a while and cooled down?

Some users refer to this for direct touch heatpipe coolers, but too much paste is no good either.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
Share
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2012 3:32:44 AM

34 degrees at what idle, load, burn in test it makes a big difference if its 34 at load then thats fine. you should have plenty of thermal paste left over from when you installed your heat sink so you should have to get some as5, hope you didnt use the whole lot cos if you did your gonna have a mess all over your motherboard as for the cpu fan error in bios, did you hook it up to the cpu fan header or a system fan header, there isnt really anything wrong with that but if you did it may think there is no fan running so it warns you although i dont know why you would as the fan that comes with the 212+ has a 4 pin plug
Score
0
Related resources
June 30, 2012 3:35:56 AM

how to do this under load? and what software should I use to monitor temperature for cpu? I already have GPU-Z
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2012 3:36:52 AM

the temperature in the BIOS and idle temps in general mean nothing. you need to check your temps while the CPU is under full load
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2012 3:36:53 AM

double post deleted
Score
0
June 30, 2012 3:40:33 AM

so which cpu monitoring software should I use? I'm actually going to try unigine heaven first. then should I go for futuremark 11 or something or passmark or something?
Score
0
June 30, 2012 3:40:41 AM

I'm a noob when it comes to software to monitoring though
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2012 3:51:46 AM

basch99 said:
how to do this under load? and what software should I use to monitor temperature for cpu? I already have GPU-Z


gpu-z is for your video card!! something like core temp is ok and maybe just load your cpu up with prime95 or something like that, personally i dont like my cpus going over 65 to 70 but they can do i think around 90 ish before they throttle to protect themselves so aslong as you dont stop them from throttling you shouldnt be able to kill it without doing something really stupid :D 
Score
0
June 30, 2012 4:01:27 AM

I know that and your talking about celsius right? or fahrenheit? I know GPU-Z is for GPUs. Ok I have an idea of what to expect.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2012 4:31:55 AM

Temps are in C

I would use hwmon for temps and prime95 for stress testing. This should push the cpu harder then most things you do to it. It should be run until the temps level off. And much longer as a test for overclocking.

Prime95
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Hwmon. (Do not use with Windows 8 if you have it.)
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If hwmon is not getting the right temps, try coretemp or realtemp

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
Score
0
June 30, 2012 1:03:48 PM

when ever I start under bios, I get a CPU fan error and a low fan speed rpm and yes it sometimes dips under 600 rpm! I'm deeply concerned by this and yes the fan spins on my hyper 212+.
Score
0
a c 110 K Overclocking
June 30, 2012 1:13:35 PM

basch99 said:
when ever I start under bios, I get a CPU fan error and a low fan speed rpm and yes it sometimes dips under 600 rpm! I'm deeply concerned by this and yes the fan spins on my hyper 212+.


Just set the alarm speed to a lower speed or disable the alarm altogether. Absolutely NOTHING to worry about.
Score
0
June 30, 2012 3:36:34 PM

so 600-800 rpm at idle is normal?
Score
0
June 30, 2012 3:36:48 PM

no I mean at startup and bios
Score
0
a c 110 K Overclocking
June 30, 2012 4:05:39 PM

basch99 said:
so 600-800 rpm at idle is normal?


Yes that's normal, and I know that's in the BIOS. I have my low speed alert set to 200 RPM, actually, with my 212 Evo.
Score
0
June 30, 2012 10:40:30 PM

Best answer selected by basch99.
Score
0
September 29, 2012 2:40:08 PM

basch99 said:
Hello guys, so what I want to know is whether I should redo my hyper 212+.

So basically this is my first build, and I did a couple of things I probably should never have done and that is touch the bottom of the direct heat pipes with Arctic Silver 5 applied and lifting my heat-sink up and down because I wasn't able to get the tension bracket to lock, which creates air bubbles. However when I looked into my bios temperature setting, It was hitting 34 degrees Celsius at stock speeds. Is this normal? It is according to other stock configurations and my fan rpm is around 800 rpm. Are these normal numbers? Could I have done a much better job of applying the thermal paste and installing the hyper 212+. By the way my processor is i5-3570K. Also, after I have installed my hyper 212+, it wiggles a little bit when I nudge it. Is that normal? And last thing, when I boot up to bios sometimes, the American Megatrends splash-screen says that CPU fan error but my CPU fan is spinning. Is this a normal occurence or is there really a terminal problem such as possibility that my CPU fan will die out while I'm operating my PC? Thank you very much. My motherboard is P8Z77-V if that helps.



I started my first build today with exactly the same cooler and exactly the same motherboard. A "CPU FAN ERROR" message on the splash screen. This concerns me as I am completely new to computer building. I see this thread is a few months old but did you manage to resolve he issue withouyt any problems? i.e is lowering the fan settings in BIOS the solution?

Help! :??: 
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
September 29, 2012 3:36:14 PM

In the bios under hardware monitor -> fan speed monitor section, you should be able to set a lower fan warning speed or disable it all together.

As long as you see the fan spinning, you should be good to go, as the system heats up the fan will speed up and as it cools off the fan will slow down.
Score
0
a c 314 K Overclocking
September 30, 2012 1:54:14 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
0
!