plot267

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I am going to o'clock my ram from 1333ghz to 1600ghz I do not have heat sinks on them but Im using a case with very good ventilation that has 4 fans with enough space for up to 7 dose anyone have any advice??

Case: z9 Plus

Cpu:a8 3870k

PSU: XFX Pro 450W Power Supply

Ram: Komputerbay 8GB 2x 4GB DDR3 1333 PC3-10666 10600 1333MHZ DIMM 240 Pin RAM 8 GB:

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB SATAII 8MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard drive

Mobo: F1A75-V Pro

Besides the fact that OC'ing the RAM from 1333 to 1600 won't really mean much (you'll NEVER be able tell the difference in anything other than benchmarks), not having heat spreaders on the RAM doesn't really matter. DDR3 RAM runs relatively cool, even when OC'd a small-ish amount.

I also have my doubts on the quality of that RAM and if it's even capable of being OC'd to 1600 without a lot more voltage and VERY loose timings.

My advice, just stick with it the way it is at 1333 or buy some 1600 RAM if you REALLY think it matters (it doesn't).

Mount a fan near the ram and it will allow for improved overclocking and you will see a boost in gaming but it is risky. The reason is due to the fact that ram tends to degrade over time when overclocked if the volts are raised to unsafe limits or pushed to high clocks with very poor cooling.

You can purchase heat spreaders on newegg but they are a little expensive. Beyond that a cheap fan over the ram will keep it cool.

plot267

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Wait so i could do it..hmm im not so sure what the first guy means with this " I also have my doubts on the quality of that RAM and if it's even capable of being OC'd to 1600 without a lot more voltage and VERY loose timings." how could the quality effect anything (please explain what brought you to that conclusion) and its 1.5v with a latency of like 9-9-9-24

If the IC's are low quality, they'll need a lot of voltage to OC and will need the timing loosened a lot to make them work at a faster speed. With the timings loosened, it basically negates the fact that you OC'd in the first place.

I don't care what they're rated at, if they're low quality, they'll have a hard time being OC'd. Period. They'll run just fine at what they're rated at, of course.

And I'll say it again, you DON'T even NEED to OC from 1333 to 1600. No reason at all. The performance gained is so minimal that there's no point.

Not really, although I'm sure that there are places that you can find through a bit of searching that will tell you. Generally, it's best to stay with the name brand stuff, but even some of those are questionable (as well as some of the off brand stuff actually being decent).

What I said in the first post about doubting the quality is because I've never heard of Komputerbay RAM before, but it MIGHT actually be OK.

Regardless, I still don't think you need to (or should) OC it. You can try it, if you want, but I think you'll be very disappointed with the results.