ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Hello-

Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct forum.

I ran Cat 5 wire from my home network's Linksys router (54Mbs) to my new Tivo HD. I just noticed, of course after routing the cable, that the wire is Cat 5 wire (from 1997) and not Cat 5e.

For home network usage (basically transferring video files between my computer and the Tivo through the router), will using Cat 5 vs. Cat 5e really matter as far as data transmission speed? I don't want the wire to be the limiting factor with the speed of file transfers between the Tivo and the computer.

Thanks!

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

OK, thanks! That will save me from having to run Cat 5e!

Kewlx25

Distinguished
My old work place use to take a Cat5 cable and put two crimps on it and run them over 100 meters.

The way this worked was a Cat5/5E/6/etc have 8 wires. two for transmit 2 for receives and 4 grounds. Instead of having 4 grounds, the cable guy would use the 4 grounds for an additional 2 TX/RX which would let him get 2 lines out of one cable.

Yes, this worked because we used a very expensive gigabit line tester and we got 0 packet-loss doing it this way and OVER 110meters, which Ethernet claims to only be good for 100 meters.

So, recap. Perfect 1000mbit full duplex crimp that extended 110+meters and only used 4 of the 8 wires.

Old buildings.

edit: I'm not recommending this, just saying the difference between Cat5 and Cat5E isn't all that much. Don't worry about a printer on Cat5E

riser

Illustrious
You can easily run Cat 5 well over 100 meters. The problem is signal loss (attenuation) and eventually your signal will start dropping down to 10mbit.

The reason Cat 5 is rated at 100m is to state that you will receive the maximum benefits of the cable within that distance. The cable can be rated and certified, whereas running it longer, you may get 20% less signal strenght and quality. The point in testing a cable after being installed is to certify the cable will meet a minimum demand. Its very basic.

Running two lines through a single cat5 cable using the grounds. Its been tried, even tested here on THG and didn't function correctly. The cables require crossing over and switch around which couldn't be done. On top of that the cable would need punched down at either end to even begin to have this function. I would call that into heavy doubt but if you claim it worked. I wouldn't go aroudn telling people that though.