I want to overclock but I'm scared

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
I've never overclocked anything in my life. But I hear the i7 2600k makes it super easy. But I'm still skeptical at blowing it up. I don't have money to replace anything I blow up, but OCing is just so tempting! Especially since I've been using a 2.8ghz duo core for the past 3-4 years.

Anyways, I'm using an i7 2600k on a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with a Hyper 212+ Cooler.
What should I change my BIOS settings to for a SAFE Overclock. I don't need some 5.9ghz OC or anything. Just a safe amount.

Also, my CPU Temp is averaging about 40C with just firefox running. Is that about normal? (First time I ever applied thermal paste my self as well.) Also, at what CPU Temp should I start worrying? Should I enable those warning things in the BIOS for when the CPU hits a certain temperature.

Also, do I have to open up the bios to OC before the OS boots or is there a way to do it after the OS has booted as well?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks! :)

Solution
@Tigerbite

Since you are new to overclocking I urge you to do some serious overclocking research before you continue, for all you know some of the advice you're getting may be coming from some that just learned barely enough to get by themselves and now feel self qualified to be giving you advice.

The guides are there to help you to understand how to accomplish the overclock you desire to run, they've been tested and proven, and you can trust them, you're getting mixed advice, even applying your thermal compound, do it this way, No do it that way, my way is better, yada, yada, yada!

The Cooler Master thermal compound is just as good or better than the Artic Silver 5, so as to which you use it doesn't matter.

The first thing you...

nna2

Distinguished
1. if your not comfortable with the idea don't do it

2. 4GHz is an easy number

3. the idle temp dosent mean much, try running prime 95 for 30 mins or so

4. try not to go much past 70C

5. kind of, it's best to do it in the bios

6. I would suggest getting the browser pale moon, its based off of firefox, but is much faster to boot up, and load pages

Do research, just cant expect to change a few settings and have it work for ya 100%. Dont be lazy. There is a ton of info on it, here and a million other sites. Or your next post will be titled "I OCed my CPU, I smelled a burning smell and now no fans".

Check out the Sandy bridge overclocking guide sticky up at the top,
and google 'overclocking 2600k' until your brain hurts, then google more,
it is relatively easy these days to clock, but there are still many points to consider and learn about, but once you start its all fun :)
Moto

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Yeah, I have looked it up a lot. Just didn't know if there were some sort of "default safe settings" or something since I'm not trying to max it out. I start seeing stuff about changing voltages and crap and it's like ehhhhh, 3.8ghz is fine. ;D

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

I just downloaded Prime95 and ran the blend test it it immediately went over 95C. I quickly stopped it in fear of frying it, especially when you said try not to go much past 70!!! :O

o_O

I applied thermal about the size of a grain of rice and smoothed it out over the entire cpu before placing the heat sink on top. Did I do this right? Why is it running so hot >_<

If I were you, I wouldnt OC anything. You need to do some research, on your own. Just cause someone gives you advice, doesnt mean its right, this is the internet afterall. That isnt a knock on anyone, but no one knows anyones tech knowledge when it comes to this just based upon post count. Do some research.

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

I read that the hyper212 was one of the beast heat sinks and I just bought it. I didn't want to go all techy pro with liquid cooling or anything. :| I also see a lot of OCers that user the Hyper212

krazyjamus

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
When you applied the thermal paste to it, did you take off the thing plastic sticker underneath the heat sink ? Also, the simplest way to apply the paste is you only put a small amount like the size of a grain of rice then you press the heat sink down on it and slowly swirl it around in circles until you start getting some resistance (30 seconds would be a good amount of time).

Make sure to use CoreTemp to monitor temperatures. 95C is insane to get to in that time frame, your heat sink clearly isn't making proper contact with the cpu. You definitely need to take it off and evaluate the situation.

The Hyper 212 is perfectly fine, you don't need to upgrade it. You should be able to get ~4.6ghz out of it.

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

Yeah, that's what I did the first time (swirling it), but I think I put too much because it kinda over flowed a little. Second time was fine. Third time I wasn't sure if I put too much, so I read that you should smooth it out with a credit card, so I did.

(Btw, I applied it so much because I received 2 DOA Mobos while building this comp.) Could that be the cause of it? Whenever I cleaned it, I didn't use any alcohol or anything (since I didn't have any). I just wiped both the heatsink and cpu off with a paper towel and it "looked" like all of it was off both of them.

nna2

Distinguished

you still probably dont want to be running em that hot though :p

At stock speeds with a 212+, you should be getting temps in the low 50's or slightly less in Prime, so something's definitely not right. Take it off, clean off the thermal paste and redo it (making sure that the cooler is tightly seated). And DON'T spread it, just put a small pea sized dot in the middle of the CPU heat spreader and let the weight of the cooler spread it.

Also, apply a very small amount in the gaps between the heatpipes on the base. That part alone is why I recommend the Evo over the Plus because you don't have to do that with the Evo, making it nearly impossible to screw up the paste application.

nna2

Distinguished

it's better to clean it with alcohol, but when i first put my 212 evo in, i didnt use it and it was fine

Set the voltage manually, (this is in the sticky)
say your mobo decides the V's for you, it may decide that 1.45v is needed to support your selected overclock,
you may find that setting it manually allows you to use only 1.325v, it doesn't seem much difference to you, but that decreased voltage means less heat to get rid of, ergo lower load temps
the 212+ is a decent cooler as mentioned,
don't second guess things or you will come away soured and out of pocket,
take it slow and small steps, you'll get there :)
Moto

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Ugh, well thanks for the help guys! I'll mess with it later and try refitting the heat sink. I'm just so happy it's running. I started this build a month ago and kept getting DOA motherboards T_T

So what should the idle temp be for the i7 2600k with the hyper 212+. I'll try and get that straight before I blast it with Prime95 at 90C+ again ;D

Don't forget to read my reply above, but idle temps should be 30-35C, depending on ambient temp (could even be less, really).

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

Whatever came with the 212+.

It just had the Cooler Master logo on it and said Thermal Compound Kit.

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
I tightened the screws on the heat sink, apparently they weren't down all the way. Now after about 5 minutes of running Prime95, the temps are in the mid-upper 60s. Clearly better than the 90s+ ;D

But someone said it shouldn't be higher than the low 50s at stock. (dxdiag says it's running at 3.7ghz which is a little higher than stock) CoreTemp says 3510mhz

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Just bought some arctic silver 5. I'll apply it instead of whatever came with the hyper 212. Now to go buy some alcohol! (To clean my cpu/hs with.) :D

Thanks for all the help! I OCd to 4.4ghz but it jumped up to 80C in Prime so I put it back down to 3.8ghz for now. Hopefully when I reapply the thermal paste, everything will be good to go! :)

@Tigerbite

Since you are new to overclocking I urge you to do some serious overclocking research before you continue, for all you know some of the advice you're getting may be coming from some that just learned barely enough to get by themselves and now feel self qualified to be giving you advice.

The guides are there to help you to understand how to accomplish the overclock you desire to run, they've been tested and proven, and you can trust them, you're getting mixed advice, even applying your thermal compound, do it this way, No do it that way, my way is better, yada, yada, yada!

The Cooler Master thermal compound is just as good or better than the Artic Silver 5, so as to which you use it doesn't matter.

The first thing you really need to understand is what the purpose of thermal compound is, it is a thermal conductor, it conducts the heat transfer from the CPU heat spreader to the cooling heat sink, properly applied (As thin of an even layer as you can acquire), it is a conductor, improperly applied (Way too much squishing out the sides), it tends to insulate instead of conduct the heat.

How you apply it does not matter, whatever floats your boat man!, what matters is that you do not assume anything, you pull the heat sink and inspect the thermal footprint, and be 100% sure your application method you choose is just enough and making even contact.

You're only after filling the microscopic imperfections between the two surfaces and that's it, and it does not take much thermal compound to do that, so pull the heat sink, inspect the thermal footprint, and be sure.

Then clean and reapply fresh thermal compound exactly the same way that worked the best and reset the heat sink on the CPU.

Now regarding overclocking your 2600K since you are air cooling with the cooler you have, I suggest you settle for the maximum clock of 4500mhz so you can run cooler temps for the longevity of your CPU.

Your 2600K should be able to run 4500mhz or 45x at plus or minus 1.225V, but you need more than just a good CPU cooler, you also need good airflow through your case so the CPU cooler has the air to cool with.

You do not have to be afraid you'll blow up your CPU, with air cooling even if you venture past 45x stay below 1.40v for 24/7 use and FYI 1.520v is the maximum tested voltage listed on Intels charts, so never exceed that voltage! Ever!

Now study the overclocking guides and learn what you are doing first, and THEN do it. Ryan

Solution

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

Agreed

@OP I was sort of in your boat, I spent about 3-4 weeks reading everything I could google before I actually ordered the parts. Read everything you can about your CPU and Motherboard before deciding anything.