Some opinions about what to do next

amantonas

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I've been trying to get the absolute most out of my money, and I'm pretty happy with what I have now. I've got 3gb of ram, an E2200 overclocked to 2.7ghz, and an XFX Radeon 4650 1gb. Here are my questions -
1. My ram. I've got a 2gb stick of pc6400 and a 1gb stick of pc5300. I'm just wondering, does is make sense to spend $100 on some new ram (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276)? Or should I just keep what I have

2. I'm also thinking about buying a 500gb hard drive, because I have an 80. And I'm on a very low budget right now. Like 100 bucks every couple of months to buy something nice for my system. But what's a 13 year old to do...
Anyways, should I buy this, or the ram? Or, maybe even a new power supply? I have an OCZ stealthxstream or something, but it's only 400 watts?

I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? By the way, I'm getting this and an E8200 for Christmas, and I use the box for mostly gaming.

i'd say keep what you have for now the samsung f3 500 gb is like $50 that would be perfect but then again i wouldn get the e8200 and the x48 board,socket 775 is dead keep the ram you have save up for some ddr3 ram since ddr2 and ddr3 prices are so close and look into skipping the e8200 for an i5 750 with ddr3 and a new 500 watt + psu or an amd am3 720/955 with ddr3 and 500 watt + psu

amantonas

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Well, the 775 will have to do, over the next year I may be able to accumulate enough money to go ahead and get a new Am3 motherboard and processor, but definitely not now. The motherboard and processor are sitting under the tree .

So, a samsung f3 over new ram?

amantonas

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Ok, lets say I return the motherboard and processor. If I get an Am3 board and a new processor, that means I have to get DDR3 right? I don't have the money for that.
I also don't have enough money for an i5, as appealing as it sounds. I'm almost old enough to get a job, then I'll go crazy :).

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Don't you already have a 775 mobo? oh well too late I guess.

If you get a 500gb hard drive,make it the samsung spinpoint f3.
If you go for PSU, go for corsair. OCZ seems to be slowly dropping in terms of brand reliability.

That RAM would last you for at least one rebuild though. So it might be useful to have. I'd say next a hard drive, then PSU, then graphics. And if you do it in that order, more than likely you'll be able to find something better graphics wise. You'd have to wait until you're ready for that and see what's the best for that much then.

amantonas

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Yeah, that sounds pretty good. I guess I'm pretty limited because of the pc5300 bogging it down. So I'll buy a new hard drive, new ram, and keep am3 in mind when I have enough money to build a new system.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished

If you return those You'd have enough for an AM3 CPU and mobo and probably then some. If you were thinking of getting DDR3 anyway, you should still be able to do that. I'd recommend the Athlon II x3 or x4. You could even get a aftermarket heatsink and overclock.

amantonas

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Hmm, I have a coolermaster hyper n520 with the am3 bracket (I think)
The main thing I'm thinking about is hurting my parents feelings, or having them be pissed off at me for putting them through returning them. lol. But, that actually sounds really good. Does anyone have any suggestions for motherboards?

amantonas

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
My idea right now is to get a processor and motherboard that both equal about the same price as what I was getting before, which was about $220. I'm afraid that I'll be caught off guard if I ever want to do crossfire, but truthfully, I really don't think I ever will. So, if you're willing, that's probably better. Thanks for all your help.