SSD + Non-SSD in raid 0,can it be done?

so i had 3 mushkin 60gb SSD's in raid0, one of them failed, and i have no money to replace it, and its out of warrenty. but what i have is a 120gb hard drive.

the problem here is that i need to know if it will work, as i need to recover my system using windows system backup and restore. i'm screwed if i cannot recover it. windows system backup and restore will only recover to a hard drive larger than the original drive or the original setup, as i no longer have the original setup its why i need to put the 120gb in. i know many of people say recovering to raid 0 doesn't work, but i have done it before ad i've seen others do it. i think it depends on the drive.

anyways i don't need to hear about that, i just need to know will a 120gb drive work in the same raid 0 with 2 ssds or not?

i don't really want to mess up my pc if it doesn't work. so thanks in advance for any honest replies :)

Edit: if it doesn't work, is there anyway to restore files and programs from the backup without restoring windows? i can just reinstall windows on the 2 drives instead.
5 answers Last reply
More about raid done
  1. 1. No
    2. If it did, the speed of all the units would be brought down the speed of the slowest unit....which should immediately be seen as a really unwise idea.
  2. no... raid 0 requires identical disks...
  3. well is there any way to restore my files to a new copy of windows? the reason i need the third drive is because i need to restore my files but i dont have a larger hardrive other than the possibility of raid0
  4. pharrow said:
    so i had 3 mushkin 60gb SSD's in raid0, one of them failed, and i have no money to replace it, and its out of warrenty. but what i have is a 120gb hard drive.

the problem here is that i need to know if it will work, as i need to recover my system using windows system backup and restore. i'm screwed if i cannot recover it. windows system backup and restore will only recover to a hard drive larger than the original drive or the original setup, as i no longer have the original setup its why i need to put the 120gb in. i know many of people say recovering to raid 0 doesn't work, but i have done it before ad i've seen others do it. i think it depends on the drive.

anyways i don't need to hear about that, i just need to know will a 120gb drive work in the same raid 0 with 2 ssds or not?

i don't really want to mess up my pc if it doesn't work. so thanks in advance for any honest replies :)

Edit: if it doesn't work, is there anyway to restore files and programs from the backup without restoring windows? i can just reinstall windows on the 2 drives instead.

no. The data written to ssd is different from a HD. If it does work, the raid will be unstable.

Restore to a single drive 250GB HD.
  5. are you sure you're running raid 0? because raid 0 stripes data across disks... in your case it would break up all the data 3 times... and alternate writing to disks... RAID 0 is actually a misnomer because RAID is a REDUNDANT Array of Independent Disks and RAID 0 offers "0" redundancy... if it were to be recoverable it sounds more like it's RAID 5 which is block level striping with a parity spread across all the disks... the parity would allow for recovery if one of the disks failed
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Backup Hard Drives NAS / RAID Storage