SSD + Non-SSD in raid 0,can it be done?

pharrow

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
so i had 3 mushkin 60gb SSD's in raid0, one of them failed, and i have no money to replace it, and its out of warrenty. but what i have is a 120gb hard drive.

the problem here is that i need to know if it will work, as i need to recover my system using windows system backup and restore. i'm screwed if i cannot recover it. windows system backup and restore will only recover to a hard drive larger than the original drive or the original setup, as i no longer have the original setup its why i need to put the 120gb in. i know many of people say recovering to raid 0 doesn't work, but i have done it before ad i've seen others do it. i think it depends on the drive.

anyways i don't need to hear about that, i just need to know will a 120gb drive work in the same raid 0 with 2 ssds or not?

i don't really want to mess up my pc if it doesn't work. so thanks in advance for any honest replies :)

Edit: if it doesn't work, is there anyway to restore files and programs from the backup without restoring windows? i can just reinstall windows on the 2 drives instead.

pharrow

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
well is there any way to restore my files to a new copy of windows? the reason i need the third drive is because i need to restore my files but i dont have a larger hardrive other than the possibility of raid0

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006

no. The data written to ssd is different from a HD. If it does work, the raid will be unstable.

Restore to a single drive 250GB HD.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
are you sure you're running raid 0? because raid 0 stripes data across disks... in your case it would break up all the data 3 times... and alternate writing to disks... RAID 0 is actually a misnomer because RAID is a REDUNDANT Array of Independent Disks and RAID 0 offers "0" redundancy... if it were to be recoverable it sounds more like it's RAID 5 which is block level striping with a parity spread across all the disks... the parity would allow for recovery if one of the disks failed