Vista installation disk freezes before I reach the install screen?

VGM10000

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Im not sure exactly where to post this issue, but since it has to do with a new system build, I figure posting it here makes some sense.

I have finished building my computer and I am now trying to install Vista Ultimate, 32 bit. I set the BIOS to boot the CD/DVD drive first, and it loads the generic grey bar with the prompt "Windows is loading files...".

After this you see the green bar you might remember from when you boot up your Vista computer, but without the logo (only the "Copyright Microsoft Corporation" text is there, underneath the bar). The bar cycles through a few times but suddenly freezes, and the entire machine acts as if it is put to sleep.

I have the BIOS set to optimized defaults, and I am very worried that there is something malfunctioning with a component... I figure I might just have done something simple wrong, though.

My build is:

i7 860
GeForce GTX 285
GA-P55-UD4P motherboard
4GB GSKILL RAM
2X 750GB HD'S
LITEON DVD/CD BURNER

Any ideas?

VGM10000

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

No, but I know the sticks in the build now function fine. I'll remove one and just do one at a time to check right now...

VGM10000

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
I expected this, but the computer doesn't even start unless it has 2 sticks of RAM.

But, again, I know that the memory is functioning normally, so that shouldnt be the problem... right?

VGM10000

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

I wish!

I'm thinking it's a BIOS issue because I have been able to install iATKOS v7 fine, although ive since deleted it (I tried Win7 RC, an older version of Ubuntu, and XP, ALL of them froze before the installer launched).

But, at the same time, I don't see how that could be the issue at all. I really don't know what to do!