Sign in with
Your question
Closed

EXPERTS NEEDED:Hard Drive not recognized by Windows 7 after Kubuntu

Last response: in Storage
December 3, 2011 12:26:45 AM

Hello,
I made a mistake today and tried installing kubuntu. Problem was, I did so not know much about hard drive partitions and tried to install it on my 1Tbyte Western Digital(Which I had partitioned and formatted to NTFS with windows). Now when I log onto windows (7 ultimate 64 bit(located on an ssd c drive with only 64Gigs of storage)) I found out that the D drive is missing entirely! I have alot of data on there so I fired up my Kubuntu again (just running live cd) and checked in the file manager for the WD Drive. Alas! I found it and could browse it, but as it turns out, the drive has a lock icon on it and I, being a non-Linux expert and such, did not know what that was(I can guess?). If someone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated! thanks

edit: it does show up in my disk management in windows without options http://imgur.com/Us4q6
December 3, 2011 12:42:44 AM

You are in a tricky position my friend. I'm guessing you altered the size of the partition using gparted in linux to install ubuntu. Now windows isn't happy. It's been a while since I used ubuntu, by last I knew NTFS support in linux was still read only and required root permissions in the file manager of your choice.
Score
December 3, 2011 12:48:27 AM

yes, tricky would be the right word for it!

The installation for kubuntu did crash when I was partitioning but I did many things so I am not sure whats wrong.
Now I feel all :pt1cable:  and almost :(  maybe even :cry:  , but finally I must remind myself that it is only dozens of installed programs which will take forever to download again! There is one solution that I can figure out, but it requires me having another external hdd with about 500 gigs of space and all my friend's hdds are full. However, I don't even know if it would work copying files from a locked drive or how I would go about doing that,

thanks for the quick response mate
Score
Related resources
December 3, 2011 4:42:07 PM

aracongi said:
yes, tricky would be the right word for it!

The installation for kubuntu did crash when I was partitioning but I did many things so I am not sure whats wrong.
Now I feel all :pt1cable:  and almost :(  maybe even :cry:  , but finally I must remind myself that it is only dozens of installed programs which will take forever to download again! There is one solution that I can figure out, but it requires me having another external hdd with about 500 gigs of space and all my friend's hdds are full. However, I don't even know if it would work copying files from a locked drive or how I would go about doing that,

thanks for the quick response mate

I would look into doing an install on a usb stick (google is your friend) so as not to further risk the hard drives integrity. Then I would use the sudo command from a terminal to open a cd/dvd/bd burner and make copies of my data.

"sudo" is the command to assume root or administrator authority. if I were using k3b (when I last used linux that was what I used, but it may be a different default program in ubuntu) for my cd burning program i would enter "sudo k3b" (minus the quotations) and then press enter. It would then ask for my password and after entering it I would press enter and then the program would launch with administrator privileges which would allow me to access NTFS files.
Score

Best solution

December 4, 2011 11:19:28 AM

aracongi. Linux (kubunbtu) uses different file systems to windoz and windoz can not read Linux file systems with out external programs. If your files are still accessible in Kubuntu, then boot into that and use k3b or some other burning program to save your files to dvd rw's.
You may have to use the kubuntu disk manager to "mount" the 1Tb drive, that will get rid of the lock icon on it. Not sure what disk / partition manager Kubuntu uses as I'm a Mageia Linux user.
Linux has been able to read and write to NTFS (windoz) file systems safely now for a few years, ever since M$ stopped undocumented file system tinkering. They were forced to by the EU anti trust commission. If you get any problems, or need more step by step advice let me know what version of Kubuntu you were using and I will down load a copy and install into a VM so I can give you more accurate advice
December 7, 2011 2:36:43 AM

Thank you guys, I totally figured it out now, but I still managed to find the dumb way out ;)  ; I borrowed an external 500gig hdd from a friend (lucky that his wasn't full, all my other friends have like no space on their externals and I live in the middle of nowhere :S) and copied all the stuff using dolphin (included in the distro I was using); then I copied it to windows. The only unfortunate part of all this is that I could not fit all the installed files on it because it was only 500 gigs while my internal is 1tb and 3/4 full. Got all my installation files though and my whole (60 gig) music collection :D  . I'm not new with computers, but this whole situation made me feel like a complete idiot :L .

After all that , thank you guys for everything!
Score
December 7, 2011 2:37:31 AM

Best answer selected by aracongi.
Score
!