Beware the "Upgradable" Video Unit in the Area 51-m

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2004 2:36:59 PM

Having dropped close to 4 grand on the Area 51-m because I thought I
could save money in the long run by having an upgradable video card in
a laptop, I'm a touch pissed. I just found out on their site that
because everything is moving to PCI express, they can't guarantee
anymore video card upgrades for the mobile unit.
Nothing against my Area51-m, I still love it, but just thought
everyone should be aware that if you are looking at one because of the
upgradable video unit, beware.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2004 5:18:02 AM

PCI-Express won't be the main mode for years to come.
Richard
"sqlboy2000" <sqlboy2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Having dropped close to 4 grand on the Area 51-m because I thought I
> could save money in the long run by having an upgradable video card in
> a laptop, I'm a touch pissed. I just found out on their site that
> because everything is moving to PCI express, they can't guarantee
> anymore video card upgrades for the mobile unit.
> Nothing against my Area51-m, I still love it, but just thought
> everyone should be aware that if you are looking at one because of the
> upgradable video unit, beware.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2004 11:58:36 AM

They will support desktop AGP for a while, but that is not the case
with mobile cards.

"marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message news:<eR%Ic.2740$G9.1330@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...
> PCI-Express won't be the main mode for years to come.
> Richard
> "sqlboy2000" <sqlboy2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Having dropped close to 4 grand on the Area 51-m because I thought I
> > could save money in the long run by having an upgradable video card in
> > a laptop, I'm a touch pissed. I just found out on their site that
> > because everything is moving to PCI express, they can't guarantee
> > anymore video card upgrades for the mobile unit.
> > Nothing against my Area51-m, I still love it, but just thought
> > everyone should be aware that if you are looking at one because of the
> > upgradable video unit, beware.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2004 11:19:44 PM

Oh, do you have to buy the cards from them? AFAIK there is only one mobile
PCI Express card, and no laptop motherboards to support it.
> They will support desktop AGP for a while, but that is not the case
> with mobile cards.
>

> "marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
> > PCI-Express won't be the main mode for years to come.
> > Richard
> > "sqlboy2000" <sqlboy2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Having dropped close to 4 grand on the Area 51-m because I thought I
> > > could save money in the long run by having an upgradable video card in
> > > a laptop, I'm a touch pissed. I just found out on their site that
> > > because everything is moving to PCI express, they can't guarantee
> > > anymore video card upgrades for the mobile unit.
> > > Nothing against my Area51-m, I still love it, but just thought
> > > everyone should be aware that if you are looking at one because of the
> > > upgradable video unit, beware.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2004 11:20:52 AM

Yes, they are propriatery units you have to purchase from Alienware. I
should have mentioned that.

!