GA-MA785GM-US2H updating BIOS with unsupported CPU

Matusay

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I have an Athlon II X2 245 CPU and I'm about to buy a GA-MA785GM-US2H Rev. 1.0. The BIOS version compatible with that CPU is F4 or newer (or maybe F7 if the cpu have C3 stepping).

So, if the motherboard comes with F1-F3 BIOS, will it at least boot with the Athlon II X2 cpu (showing "unsupported cpu" message or whatever) so I can update the Bios with Q-flash?

I don't have acces to an older cpu just to update Bios; so if the system won't boot, i'm f***ed up.

bilbat

Splendid
The odds are it will boot OK - but there's no way to know for sure, short of finding someone who's done the exact same thing, with the exact same CPU & BIOS. The only ones I've seen recently that will sometimes not boot at all, are the hexacores, from both Intel and AMD. The actual concern is not so much, "will it boot?", but "will it execute the entire instruction stream required to flash the new BIOS?" - and, there, so long as you do not use @BIOS, I've found the 'Dual BIOS' mechanism to be absolutely reliable!

Absolute (and unlikely) worst case - you'll need to buy/borrow a cheap Athlon to do the flash if it fails with the 'unsupported' CPU...