Display driver stopped responding and has recovered win 7 intel

eng volvo

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Card name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3100
DAC type: Internal

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Is this a laptop?

Do you have full specs?

This issue is TDR triggering in windows. It is desinged to warn you of hardware failure. It has historically been buggy, related to many updates and drivers. Though I have never seen the this issue with a GMA.

First thing to try is to update the drivers from intel's site. Second thing to look at is to clean out the computer to make sure there is not a build up of dust causing it to overheat. How old is this computer?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Hmm, if it is within warranty then you should probably think about taking it in.

This issue is common, you are not alone. It tends to be half and half hardware/software. Perhaps the drivers have a flaw in them with windows 7, I don't know enough about intel drivers to know fo sure.

Though my advice is to check for faulty hardware, if that means taking it back then do so. Is it a pre built machine or a custom? If it is a box store computer you should not have any issue getting a return if it is new, and I wouldnt want you poking around and voiding the warranty.

The usual debug methods don't apply since this is an onboard GPU... but anything from some RAM not seated properly, to a bad PSU can cause this issue in an add in card. I would not expect a GMA to be much different.

Again, as I ahve no experience with intel drivers this could just be a case of a bad driver install. You might want to consider removing the drivers and installing new ones from scratch. The drviers included in windows seven might even be sufficient.