40-50 temps during summer, 30+ degrees Celsius, normal?

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
My temps are 40-50 during idle, the temp outside is 30+ probably more and the house probably has higher temp since it's insulated and it retains heat well and takes a while to cool. Is this normal? I'm using stock cooler for i5 2400, and applied AS5 thermal paste on the heatsink, the heatsink got a bit... broken (I broke a pin at the bottom, it was some cheapass plastic, couldn't they have made it out of metal for ***'s sake? what wouldve been, extra 1 dollar for them?) but I tried pressing it with all my strength and the temps do not change so it isn't the heatsink. I also applied little paste, like a rice grain, in the middle and I thoroughly cleaned the cpu and the heatsink part that touches the cpu with ethanol 95% and wiped it with paper that didn't leave any bits or dirt on it so it was ok. Could the higher temps be because of the temperature?
Prime95 temps are 80-85 after a whole night, is that a lot? Could I tweak the cpu voltage to lower temps? It's at 1.170 now (vcore), what about tweaking VID or other voltages there?

case is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156275
good airflow?

carbonfountain

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I don't know if this is "normal" for a stock cooler, but my i5-2500k with the hyper 212 plus runs at around 31-33 during idle (stock clocks).

Even if 40-50 is normal for the stock cooling, it might be worth it to just install an aftermarket cooler if you're that concerned about your CPU's life span. (from what I've read, the sandy bridge chips should be safe below 70)

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

+1

super-smashman

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Yeah I would absolutely say get a better cooler. A broken pin may seem harmless now but it if ever pops off the CPU without you noticing then bye bye

Those temp are within spec but they're definitely on the high end. The real danger is that your chip will wear out more quickly if you run it hot 24/7.