THGF Needs a Newbie Overclock Guide

• Yes

Votes: 30 88.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
I'm interested in the response regarding a Newbie Overclock Guide, I don't mind investing the time and putting one together, if there's enough interest in having one, the Poll will run for the month of July 2012 to see the interest.

Any specific requests the guide would cover can be addressed in this thread. Ryan

What is Overclocking?
Why Can't I Overclock on an OEM motherboard?
Can overclocking damage my processor?
Ivybridge OC
Sandybridge OC
Basics on Overclocking
BLCK Overclocking
Turbo Boost Overclocking

A lot to cover! :ouch:

If everyone can contribute, we can get all of these guides done easily :)

xtreme5

Distinguished

can i answer your questions honestly??? :ouch: easy

xtreme5

Distinguished

THANKS alot mate! you got me.

A newbie guide is not to replace any of the existing guides, it's to get them to the point they can understand them.

I actually think it's a good idea as long as we put a big warning they fry their CPU no crying foul LOL!No on a serious note something like Disclaimer

I am not responsible for any bad things that happen to you or your computer as a result of you following this guide, nor is Toms Hardware. My goal is for this guide to be a safe overclocking guideline,Overclocking can damage hardware and in most cases will void your warranties.
Something to that effect you get my point i am sure.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

This would be a great idea. I think the major 'road block' I came across with overclocking my 2500k was the lack of motherboard guides. Sure there are a bazillion 2500k guides out there, and all generally the same thing. My issue was your Asus bios, and your MSI bios, are different enough from my Asrock bios to put me in the position where I could not find the answers I needed, or forced me to guess/trial and error. What worked for me took weeks of googling the 2500k and the Asrock z77 extreme4. I think it would go a LONG way if a guide could be put together that gives bios options for each different manufacturer, and maybe going further and having model specific if the board is that popular. That would also help people choose what motherboard may be right for them.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
That would also help people choose what motherboard may be right for them.

Possibly, but you are going a bit far suggesting that people will actually research hardware before they buy and then state they wish to overclock.

Most people building a machine will determine the socket type and RAM supported...maybe how many PCI-e slots and then choose the motherboard that is the most shiny. If you are buying new hardware that hasn't been out long, it might be difficult to find many reviews or end-user experiences/threads.

I agree to a beginner's sticky, but it should be a stepping stone into the normal OC guides as this would be the logical progression once someone understands the basics, they'll naturally wish to move to the more advanced guides.

My guide for the Sandy Bridge is using the Asrock BIOS!

What would be great is if all motherboard manufacturers would adopt a common BIOS terminology between all motherboards.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

lol, At this point I think it would be great if each manufacturer would use the same terminology for each of there boards. My Asrock is a bit different from your Asrock. I didnt even realize it until you pointed it out.

:lol:

That's an excellent idea! Thank You