ATi 5750 with CS4: Any one Facing Problems?

dAttitude

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Hey Guys,
How have you all been!! ye ye, i am not from here, i am into hadware forum for advice mostly, but this si something i cant figureout.

Well, the thing is that i have just picked up 1 XFX HD5750 1GB DDR5. this is the first time i have got ATi (though i always wanted one) as i had heard a lot about their instable drivers and i wasnt really sure if it will be a good/worth buy. but this time, Tom's Supported my thought and i decided to go with ATi along with intel i5 (though i am a fan of AMD in processor, it seemed that Viper, who helped me out in the config, was quite convinced with Intel i5 750 Over AMD 965 Black Edition so i took his advice and picked up Intel with Gigabyte P55-UD3R and GSkill RipJaws 4Gb Pack and of course as i mentioned before, XFX ATi HD5750.)

now, my problem with Photoshop CS4 is that ...

i have updated the drivers and CCC to 9.12 (the latest version of Catalyst Driver Pack along with the HotFix for the same driver version.) i was facing the problems of cursor megnification and and etc before the update but all that went off once applied the Hotfix.

But a new thing that i havenoticed today itself is that (and this happened for the first and the only time til now.) after using Photoshop for about 5 - 7 hours streight, suddenly it froze while using couple of brushes and Text tool and than there was a Chocolate Brown screen for a coupel of seconds and then a shutdown or crash. NO BSoD but just a shutdown.

now i have no idea why that shutdown happened (it wasnt a windows command shutdown, it was just whoop ... switched off.) but couple of things i noticed in Photoshop are ..

- while working with brushes or move tool, sometimes my cursor has artifects for a blink and than its gone.

- while working with a fullscreen mode (press "f" 3 times) while entering in the full screen mode, there is a screen flicker for about half a second and than everything is proper

- while using a brush to draw or erase something, the screen continuouly flickers till the time you are dragging the brush, if you stop the flicker stops.

Has anyone faced these kind of problems??? i cant seem to find anything on google yet on this problem, in fact i found that ATi and Adobe work very well together.

have i got a currupt card??? or its just a general problem? is there any way to get over it? i think the hardware acceleration is on in Photoshop, should i switch it off? will it affect the performance on a 200 MB file??? my files are generally graphically very rich so, please advice ...

and i forgot to mention guys, i am using windows 7! :)

Thank you so much
dAttitude ...

Other important posts
My Rig: Please answer a few of my questions if you are into hardware!!!
My Latest System, Because of Tom's Hardware!!!

Speark Set Up Issue
PC & Television with a single 5.1 speaker setup

4745454b

Titan
Almost sounds like a heat or power issue to me. What are the temps of the card and CPU? The fact this happened after several hours of using the computer would support this. Make sure the CPU is cool, the GPU is <=85c, and that your PSU is performing correctly as well. Thats where I'd start. You should also check your event viewer.

dAttitude

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009

Hi, Thanks fr the reply Guys! well, i was usiung 9.11 and i was facing issues like mouse cursor and stuff, and yes the flickering in PS CS4, didnt run it well enough to face problems like a shutdown!

i than upgraded to 3.12 and a hotfix as well to resolve these issues and the cursor thing and others are resolved but it didnt resolve the flicker in CS4(while in "absolute fullscreen" mode).

this only happens (fullscreen flicker) when the hardware acceleration is on with the following settings,

Following Settings (default) With Enable OpenGL Acceleration (Checked)

Vertical Sync - checked
3D Interaction Acceleration - checked
Force Bilinear Interpolation - not-checked
Advanced Drawing - Checked
- Use for Image Display - Checked
Debugging
- Compositing (Gamma Corrected)
- Color Matching - Checked

if the Hardware Acceleration is off, it works smooth, but than you can see a performance hit in the first instance only. and quite a noticeable performance lag for sure. (though i have only tried playing with HQ brushes and not a regular photoshop work but my work demands playing/working with HQ Content only nothing else.)

is there anything can be done?

Any more ideas? :)

though i have not tried playing with things in fullscreen again as i dont wanna corrupt any data or i dont wanna corrupt my OR or anything, so i am just plying it safe by working in a general mode, but it will be great if i could go back to my fullscreen mode as its more comfortable with me.

i am a little disappointed as i thought i would be picking up a good future proof card in 5750 (didnt have the budget for 5770 or 5800 series :( )

4745454b, Thanks for the reply man,
well i am not sure if its a PSU issue as i have tried keeping my comp on for 2 days at a got after this incident and with a few processes going on in the bg to keep the CPU working and it has not failed even once (figures crossed and touchwood ... heheh) and the CPU temp hasnt gone higher than 65C (i am scarred that its high anyways but still not reached the mark which you mentioned.)

so i think its mostly graphic card issue. (IMO)

i will attach a screen through which i monitor the temp activity. (but i dont know how to check GPU temps as there is no utility ATi has provided for that and in the shown utility here EasyTune 6, GPU button is locked. it doesnt give me any access to anything.)
TempCheck.jpg

also,
please check my built here and please guide me if i made a mistake somewhere!

Other important posts
My Rig: Please answer a few of my questions if you are into hardware!!!
My Latest System, Because of Tom's Hardware!!!

Thank You
dAttitude
(and yeah, Merry Christmas! Thats a Christmas background ... ;))

dAttitude

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Alright, Now i am very upset! i dont know whats wrong, my system doesnt tell me whats wrong and i again had a reboot.

THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

here is what happened guys,
i was working with a newly made file with minimal resolution of 72dpi and file size 960x700 (not much with 1mb initial size.)

had put up a few layers with minimal colours and nothing too graphically rich.
trued to move around the text and stuff and applied few styles to the same for effects and all and suddenly it stopped responding with a pattern of black and white thin vertical stripes filled the screen! [now if it was a PSU failure, do you think this would have happened?]

in Even Logs, there is nothing mentioned besides the last system shut down was at 16:30 and it was unexpected. but there is no log of 16:30 or even uptill 16:10 ... there is no system log in event viewer, though there is one thing i found in Event Viewer which says the following ...

Log Name: System
Source: Application Popup
Date: 26-12-2009 16:36:04
Event ID: 1060
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A

Description:
\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\ET6\atidgllk.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Popup" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">1060</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-12-26T11:06:04.318144300Z" />
<EventRecordID>10503</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>RabbitsFoot</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\ET6\atidgllk.sys</Data>
<Binary>000000000200300000000000240400C0000000006B0300C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

AND this ...

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 26-12-2009 16:33:03
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM

Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-12-26T11:03:03.132825700Z" />
<EventRecordID>10388</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>RabbitsFoot</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Thats about it. everything else is a generic error. so where is the problem??? (i guess i will try playing a couple of games and see if its a hardware problem or drivers ... but til than any other help???)

Thanks ...

4745454b

Titan
A couple of thoughts. If your machine hits 65c all the time while your working, that might be the max for that CPU? If so it might be thermally throttling to keep it there. This might be happening due to your odd mounting of the HSF. Also due to your mounting it might not be making proper contact with your CPU. There is a program out there that will tell you if your CPU is throttling itself. I think this is the one we used to use for P4s, not sure if it works with newer CPUs.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/CPU-Tweak/ThrottleWatch.shtml

Another thought is you have a tower cooler. I have a board semi similar to yours but from Asus. The manual warned me that if I use such a cooler like you do I need to attach some provided clip fans to the NB cooling system. Downward blowing HSF like the stock intel one will cool the NB, but a tower HSF won't. You might be having a similar issue?

Definitely look for any patches that might be out there. The first event was caused by the ATI driver, while I don't know what caused the second. The problem is I don't know why the ATI driver caused the first crash. Bad card?

dAttitude

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
The problem is I don't know why the ATI driver caused the first crash. Bad card?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO ... no no no no ... dont, please dont! i dont know what to do if its a bad card. apart from that the first error which i was mentioning, seems quite general with this Easy Tune Utility of Gigabyte which came with the motherboard. (honestly, i am really upset with the built, i generally go with Asus but i was in a bit of rush and it seems that on the internet throughout, Gigabyte seems to be gaining a good reputation so i thought why not try but now that i look into it, i think it is not much of a good buy. i am facing issues with CPU FAN [my supplier cheated there i think as we were talking about Hyper n520 from Cooler Master and than he said this is the one which is a new release. i didnt have the internet access that time and i just believed him and ... anyways], the board is not good to mount these fans and not even comfortable too. Graphic card not fulfilling the requirement of Graphics Software, though honestly, games run really good. man i played Grid Racing, just awesome at 1300 Resolution full screen on HDTV Full Details ... not a single lag of frame... awesome i am dying to get my hands on NFS SHIFT ;) & Nitro)

i played the game not long enough for it to overload but long enough for CPU Processing and nothing went wrong. CPU didnt even go past 48C ... so i am sure there is no much CPU overload on this comp. yeah i guess my HSF is not properly mounted and i was skeptical of the same because it was mounted by the Supplier and i told him that its not correct but than there was no other way to mount it. i guess i made a bad choice of accepting that TX300 Deal i should have insisted on N520. so anyways, any suggestions what i can do now?

can i remove the HSF and try to mount it in a different direction? can i count it facing towards the back cabinet fan? will that help? and if i am mounting it towards the back back cabinet fan should i keep it sucking the hot air or throwing the air? (i know, its stupid to ask and i guess the right answer is to suck the air and throw it out of the back side, but still asking because i have never done the HSF before honestly.)

and yeah, i cant change the mobo, so what are the options? could you please help out. i am a little disappointed right now .. :( sad .. heheheh ;)

Thanks 4745454b
dAtti ...

4745454b

Titan
Don't thank me yet, I haven't helped you yet.

Thinking about it more I'm really "convinced" that its either a heat issue cause of the cooler, or a problem between the 5750 and CS4. If you haven't, check out the PS forums to see if others have this issue and any fix. If nothing there, you might want to either get a different cooler, or perhaps try the house fan trick. You might still have an over heat issue with the VRMs because you have the tower cooler. Read the manual to see what it says about tower coolers.

danielgr

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
I don't think that will make you feel better but... I have exactly the same problem as you:
- Core i5
- P55 chipset Gigabyte Mobo
- ATI 4770
- Win7 Ultimate 64

In my case I think everything started when I plugged a second monitor. For a while I could get GPU acceleration on CS4 back when disabling the second monitor (although obviously it's not something I'd like to ...), then right now I simply can't get it to work again. Everything goes fine until I turn full screen ON...

My temperatures (both MB and CPU and GPU are all bellow 40C) and the system is perfectly stable otherwise.
I'm pretty dissapointed since this is the first ATI graphics card I've bought in a while and I bought it mainly for GPU acceleration applications (don't play anything...). I don't know about benchmarks, but it seems to me the the good old problems at ATI (mainly with unstable drivers and products) are still pretty much there.

If anyone manages to solve this problem, I'd love to hear about though...