AMD 4200+ and 8800GT upgrade path

Hello,

I know a 4200+ with an 8800 GT (the 512mb model btw) isn't well balanced to start with but the majority of games I play run fine, a few don't mainly new games of cos!

I have an 'sli ready' machine but from what i've read online sli on such an old processor is a waste of money (and it's gonna cost nearly a ton to buy another 8800gt).

I'm not bothered about playing games at highest settings but 1680x1050 resolution would be nice.

Any opinions on my upgrade path...
-another 8800gt, I guess would be limited by my processor?
-a new super-duper graphics card likewise?
-a new motherboard, CPU and memory but keep my 8800gt? most expensive option but would it give me a serious boost sticking with my 8800?

or should i just bin the above options and wait until i can afford a whole new setup, which could be sometime (even the new motherboard etc would be on finance right now, i just really want to play batman).

Thanks for any advice :-)
11 answers Last reply
More about 4200 8800gt upgrade path
  1. Well to be honest everything just about to get some real performance increase. It just would not be worth the money to throw into that system. I would say go for a new motherboard and processor, a phenom ii x4 955BE would be a good start.

Do you have a budget?
  2. There is also a way to flash the 8800GT bios to turn it into a 9800GT.
  3. Wow fast reply ty! The idea of flashing my 8800 to a 9800 sounds good if I do the motherboard upgrade, but you think that's a waste of time? I figured the graphics card wasn't that old and a new CPU would be ok.

I really wanted to play newish games like Batman for £300 (I think that's about $500) but tbh there are a lot of old games out there that i can get cheap now.

If anybody has any other opinions please post, otherwise i guess I'm saving up my pennies :-)
  4. what motherboard you have can it support an am3 socket?
  5. btw, i did have a max budget of £450.. that was for an i5-750, decent basic motherboard, 4gb ram and windows 7.. but sticking with my 8800gt.
  6. for 450 budget you should go with a phenom ii x4 955 or 965 BE
  7. sadly not, i remember checking that out about a year ago which is why i got the 8800gt (whch was great at the time lol)
  8. Decent AMD motherboard AM3 socket $70 to $100

Phenom II x4 965BE $180

4 gigs DDR3 1600 Ram $100
  9. and stay with the 8800GT which should be fine for most anything you can find. I have a 9800GT and it runs everything i can throw at it on maxed out settings only game that gets a little choppy is crysis but everything else very playable framerates i overclocked a lil to get it there but still a nice card. The 9800 is basically the 8800gt rebranded so will perform the same get EVGA precision and overclock it as much as you can i got mine doing 700mhz core 1700mhz shader clock and 2200 memory should be able to get similar with 8800 GT.
  10. I'd actually been focused on the i5-750 if I was going to change motherboard, but that sounds cheap as chips (more pricey in blightey of cos), I'll check that out tx, probably cost me just over £300 on a quick search, £150 cheaper (than I was gonna pay) :-)
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Components