Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Dimension
  • Power
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 1, 2010 11:28:24 PM

Hi there,

I recently (a week ago) replaced my very old Dell Dimension with a fancy new system running on a Core i5. Unfortunately, one of the main problems that the Dimension was having is also happening with the new PC. Namely, when I first boot it up in the morning it gets to the login screen and then freezes. I reboot it and everything works smoothly. The new system is plugged into the same powerboards (and power outlet) that the Dimension was plugged in to.

Because this is happening to both PCs, I think I'm justified in believing that it's not a problem with either computer. Could it possibly be that the computers are drawing too much power from the powerboards - or even from the main power outlet?

Note that I'm running Windows 7 on the new PC and Ubuntu 9.04 on the old. The new PC's power supply is 650W while the old one is - I believe - 250W.

I apologise if this is the wrong section (I couldn't really determine the best one) or if I haven't provided enough info.

More about : power

a c 144 ) Power supply
March 1, 2010 11:39:37 PM

agricola said:

Because this is happening to both PCs, I think I'm justified in believing that it's not a problem with either computer. Could it possibly be that the computers are drawing too much power from the powerboards - or even from the main power outlet?

Unlikely. Simple way to check is to move the PC to another room. Bedroom power circuits are usually lightly loaded.
m
l
a c 148 ) Power supply
March 1, 2010 11:59:40 PM

How stable is your power ?

Using any power conditioning ?

Have a voltmeter ?
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2010 6:19:55 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The PC is currently in a bedroom. I'll try moving it to another room and see if the problem persists.

Our power is very stable. I've never experienced anything actually turning off in this room, and we've never drawn enough power simultaneously to short (if that's the correct term) the fuse box.

I'm unfamiliar with power conditioning, but after Googling the term I think it's unlikely that I would be using any without knowing about it.

I don't have a voltmeter.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 2, 2010 1:13:32 PM

change as many variables as you can, so that's changing the actual power lead as well as changing rooms.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 2, 2010 3:07:17 PM

Are you using new power cables or reuse from old system?
m
l
!