Sign in with
Your question

How much thermal paste if heatsink touches entire cpu not just center?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 2, 2012 1:29:40 AM

I'm getting a bigger heatsink, and I see that this one touches the whole cpu not just the center, how much thermal paste should I apply? a tiny rice grain sized drop in the middle or more so the entire cpu is covered?
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 1:37:06 AM

The small rice grain (or small pea) sized method is the way to go, and don't spread it. Let the cooler spread it when you install it.
July 2, 2012 1:48:22 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The small rice grain (or small pea) sized method is the way to go, and don't spread it. Let the cooler spread it when you install it.

Thanks.
This is the heatsink btw:

cooler master vortex plus
So just a little drop in the middle? But isn't wasting the other area of the heatsink bad?
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 1:51:40 AM

mrbeanladen said:
Thanks.
This is the heatsink btw:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleimages/201005/cmvortexplus_base.jpg
cooler master vortex plus
So just a little drop in the middle? But isn't wasting the other area of the heatsink bad?

It'll spread on it's own under the weight of the heatsink, but I WOULD recommend filling the grooves between each of the heat pipes and the base with a very small amount of paste. Just enough to barely fill the grooves, not much at all.
July 2, 2012 1:56:35 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
It'll spread on it's own under the weight of the heatsink, but I WOULD recommend filling the grooves between each of the heat pipes and the base with a very small amount of paste. Just enough to barely fill the grooves, not much at all.

Yeah I thought that would be a problem, with all air touching the cpu instead of thermal paste...
But still, when I usually add thermal paste it spreads in a small circle, leaving the corners of the cpu clean so wouldn't that be bad since the heatsink is touching nothing in that region? (and i press like an animal on it so that's the most it spreads)
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 2:05:34 AM

It's the center of the heat spreader on the CPU that matters the most anyway, since that's where the actual CPU die is. The outside edges of the heat spreader don't really matter so much.

As long as there's enough paste in the center, it'll be fine.
July 2, 2012 2:07:41 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
It's the center of the heat spreader on the CPU that matters the most anyway, since that's where the actual CPU die is. The outside edges of the heat spreader don't really matter so much.

As long as there's enough paste in the center, it'll be fine.

Thanks for your help again. Last question, how do I know if the arctic silver 5 tube is empty? Is it like a syringe so that you know it's empty when the end touches the tube or what?
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 2:09:51 AM

Yeah it's a syringe that you'll be able to tell when it's empty. You should be able to get 5-10 uses out of 1 tube, though.
July 2, 2012 3:44:11 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah it's a syringe that you'll be able to tell when it's empty. You should be able to get 5-10 uses out of 1 tube, though.

thanks for helping me here and in the other thread
how can i select the "best answer"? I don't see a button here.
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 3:44:49 AM

You're welcome. :) 

And you can't because it's a discussion thread, but I think you should be able to go back and edit your first post in this thread to change it to a question.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 4:38:05 AM

All heatsinks cover the whole spreader not just the center. the paste SHOULD spread across the entire heatspreader, otherwise your losing transfer area. sounds like you don't put enough paste. a little gap on the edges/corner is fine. a small circle in the center with a bunch of space around it is not. that heatsink doesn't even have a heatpipe in the center.

on that note I'd also get a good heatsink instead of that one.
July 2, 2012 11:59:46 AM

unksol said:
All heatsinks cover the whole spreader not just the center. the paste SHOULD spread across the entire heatspreader, otherwise your losing transfer area. sounds like you don't put enough paste. a little gap on the edges/corner is fine. a small circle in the center with a bunch of space around it is not. that heatsink doesn't even have a heatpipe in the center.

on that note I'd also get a good heatsink instead of that one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
it isn't good? why?
I cant get the 212+ or similar stuff because my case is tiny, so this was the best I could get, except water cooling of course.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6747
k, this better? it has a heatpipe in the center, it's also more polished and there's no gaps from what I can see, and it has some sort of... special copper on the part that touches to cpu so i believe it's better.
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 12:25:10 PM

unksol said:
a little gap on the edges/corner is fine. a small circle in the center with a bunch of space around it is not.

Is that not exactly what I said? Maybe I wasn't clear enough. OR maybe you just took what I said the wrong way. Either way, that's what I meant.

And @ mrbeanladen, yes, the GeminII is the better choice IMO.
July 2, 2012 2:10:27 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Is that not exactly what I said? Maybe I wasn't clear enough. OR maybe you just took what I said the wrong way. Either way, that's what I meant.

And @ mrbeanladen, yes, the GeminII is the better choice IMO.

yea I canceled that order, It's worth it for a few dollars more and my current heatsink has 1 screw broken and the other one a bit loose so It's probably floating in mid air instead of touching the cpu really close
I also noticed the surface is mirror smooth so no more need to sandpaper it myself and fail at doing it

also, is normal "drinking" alcohol (I'm not sure who could drink this ***, made my tongue numb after a drop) ethyl 96% good for wiping off the thermal paste off of the cpu? or should I get a 70% isopropyl alcohol bottle and wipe it with that?
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 2, 2012 2:14:04 PM

mrbeanladen said:
also, is normal "drinking" alcohol (I'm not sure who could drink this ***, made my tongue numb after a drop) ethyl 96% good for wiping off the thermal paste off of the cpu?

:lol:  Isopropyl is what's recommended, and it's cheap anyway, but I suppose that would work.
!