Can't find i5-750 on the market... is it outdated?

guitarxe

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Hi,

I wanted to upgrade my machine and started reading some articles on the site to help me choose the right parts. I came upon System Builder Marathon article for Dec 2010, and it looked like the i5-750 was pretty cheap and had great performance. I wanted to couple that with 2 x GTX 460 SLI, but looking at newegg and other retailers I can't find the i5-750 anywhere on the market. Has this CPU gone out of production since December? Which CPU replaces it in similar price/performance?

Thanks for any advice!

guitarxe

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Thanks for the advice on the i5 2500k, after reading some articles that's definitely the CPU I'm gonna get this upgrade.

Reason why I want to get the GTX460 SLI is because I already have one GTX460. But if you can convince me otherwise, perhaps a chart that shows comparison between 2x GTX460 in SLI VS a single GTX 570, then I might go for that.

Can't find any such comparisons, though =(

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

Yes, it has. Intel announced the Sandy Bridge line(s) of CPUs and wiped out the entire line from which the i5 750 came. The new CPUs are faster, use less power, and do some rather neat tricks. It's a long story - read the articles about the Sandy Bridge announcement if you want more details.

For video options, have a look at Tom's monthly list of graphics options - pick a price and it tells you what your options are, and what is considered "best", whether it's a single card or a pair of lesser cards. The options change too frequently to make a hard-and-fast recommendation.

The GTX 460 1GB SLI is slightly more powerful (also power hungry) compared to a single GTX 570. But i always advocate for a single card setup and as such would suggest you to go the single 570 route. You can use the 460 card for dedicated physx if you want.

Do you simply want to replace your current CPU with a faster CPU?

Or are you upgrading both motherboard and CPU?

The i5-2500k is socket 1155 while the i5-750 is socket 1156. They are not compatible with each other. Therefore, if you are simply upgrading the CPU, then you cannot do it with Intel's 2nd generation i5 CPUs known as Sandy Bridge.

OK, right now all the Intel® Core™ i5-750 is still in stock with at least one of our distributors in stock of over a 100. You may have an easier time finding the Intel Core i5-760 which is meant to be the direct replacement for the Intel Core i5-750. Now if you are looking to build a new system do yourself a favor and pick up the Intel Core i5-2500K as it is about the best gaming processor on the market right now.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team