PC wont enter bios, just the post

coolkeeper

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
hey guys,,
i don't know if this should be posted here, so if its inappropriate please move it..

this is my pc specification :

Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.50 Ghz
Abit AN78GS
3 Gb DDR2 RAM
Geforce gts 250 1GB
1 x Seagate 320 Gb 7200 RPM
1 x DVD ROM
550 watt EnLight PSU

the system was okay. then i get myself a Phenom II 940, and replace my Athlon X2 with it.
now when i hit the power button, the whole system seems to be powered up
the LEDs are on, the fans are on. but no beep, the screen are just black, and i can't do anything...
so my question is... what do i do now?

does my system have compatibility issues with the phenom?
please i need help, you guys must understand how i feel.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Does your MOBO support the Phenom II CPUs ? - they require a higher Wattage and some older AM2 boards can not supply the needed wattage to run them - others just need a BIOS update to support them - best bet is to go to the MOBO manufacturers website and see if it is on the list of supported CPUs and what version of the Bios is needed for it to be supported and update if needed by replacing the old CPU and running the BIOS update and then try again !

Just checked and it seems that MOBO does not support the Phenom II's -- See HERE for CPU compatibility List from ABIT - Seems the last Bios update they did was 06/19/2008 so without something newer you'll probably need a new MOBO to run that chip ! (Abit does not have very good after purchase support !)

coolkeeper

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
(Abit does not have very good after purchase support !)

yeah i have to agree on that. hahahaha

my mobo support the CPU it has an AM2+ socket, and the phenom II 940 is an AM2+
the tdp support of the board are similar with its older brother AX78, and that processor works on that board

so now i've tried swapping the RAMs but doesn't help
and i've unplugged the VGA...
what next?

Problem is the BIOS needs to be updated with the microcode of the new CPUs as they are released in order for them to be supported and ABIT has not released a new BIOS for that MOBO since June of 2008 which is long before the newer Phenom IIs were released so the MOBO does not recognize that CPU and will not boot with it installed until you get a new BIOS for it !! (It could run the Chip but needs the BIOS update and ABIT being the company they are has not released one so your board can not use the new Pheniom II chips (thus the reason none of them are listed in the CPU compatibility list from their site ) - In order to use the chip you'll have to wait for ABIT to release an updated BIOS (Not likely to happen) or get a new MOBO from a company that does release updates !

coolkeeper

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
It could run the Chip but needs the BIOS update and ABIT being the company they are has not released one so your board can not use the new Pheniom II chips

hmmm.. maybe this is my problem

i cleared the cmos, and everything runs good.
i tested with some games and programs and everything runs normally...

but when i hit the system properties, i notice that there is no processor type, it says "unknown type" or something
but it still detects the 3.00 Ghz
so i hit the task manager and i can see all the 4 cores....

so the question now is
will it have any impact on the processor's performance?

No you will be fine like the other posts said they did not release an update so the bios has no code for the cpu. If all cores are running and it says the right speed you will be fine i wouldnt worry about it.

coolkeeper

Distinguished
May 25, 2009

oh thank god! :D :D
thanks for the replies guys